“Swish hotel”

Ranked #76 of 1,067 Hotels in London
County Durham, United Kingdom
“Swish hotel”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We re- visited St Ermins hotel 30yrs after we first stayed there and it was still as impressive as we remember albeit the reception seemed smaller. A great location close to St James Park tube. Afternoon to was delightful. Staff were polite, courteous and helpful at all times, deluxe rooms were spacious, only downfall is make sure you don't get a room overlooking the air con exhaust pipes!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank DmpOman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,066)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for a week and the service was great! The rooms were a bit on the small side but overall worked well, the only downside was the walls were paper thin and noisy at night. The location was great, we were able to walk to many top sites. We overall very much enjoyed our stay here but will probably try something new on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kasey R
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Nice doormen. Didn't need an electrical adapter...there was a nice power strip. Buffet breakfast was wonderful--cheese, meats, yogurt, muffins, cereal, lots of breads. Nice rainfall shower. Clean, modern room. Enough space in room. Try the afternoon tea!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank FLJLF
Sydney Australia
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is the perfect London stopover place. Right next to St James tube station and a few hundred meters from Westminister Abbey and Big Ben. The rooms are tastefully decorated with incredibly comfortable beds and good bedlinen. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Most of all, the place is quite. It is in its own cul de sac so very little street noise. We could hear people walking in room above us so ask for the top floor. Not exactly cheap but it is London and you get your monies worth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GregandChris99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

It is a safe place to go because everything will be done correctly.
Staff all keen and interested only downside is rooms are a little meagre in size,

The downstairs Lobby is a complete hoot and if I had ever been in one reminds me of an early 1900 hundreds upper class brothel. Beautiful flowing circular lines inside the overhanging balconies

Stayed before and I will come back again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JeremyC506
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago whilst in town on business.

First impressions were 'Wow!' - the frontage and indeed lobby both look amazing and the staff were personable and seemed genuinely interested in having a wee chat. The grandiosity of the hotel started to ebb though as I got in the lift to my room: the usual rattle-y lift, narrow corridors and temperamental key-card lock all started to suggest that the hotel perhaps didn't pay enough attention to the smaller details.

The room itself was nice (just a standard double) - large, well designed, a soothing colour palette chosen and with a huge bed facing an equally large wall-mounted flatscreen TV. So far so good. But, again, on closer inspection the smaller details just weren't there: you have to register and pay for wifi, the refreshments were super-limited and even bottles of water were charged for in the automated mini-bar. The bathroom was pokey and not very well laid out at all (bottle of bath foam was attached to the wall, so impossible to put in the actual bath), and no toothpaste but plenty of cotton buds (??). It was like the stuff had been put in the room without anyone actually living in the space to see if it worked. Sounds trivial but it's the difference between an effortless and relaxing stay and one filled with minor niggles.

Thankfully breakfast was a treat, with lots of lesser-spotted items done well - like charcuterie, good quality granola and several small baked, chocolately goods.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at St Ermin's in late March. It is a lovely hotel, and the staff / service were generally great. This would be a 5 star review were it not for one issue, and how it was dealt with.

I returned to my room one evening after being away, to find that my personal laptop and power cable were missing, as well as some after shave, moisturiser, and hair product. My dirty washing had been emptied onto the floor, and the plastic bag that it had been in was gone too.

The police were alerted, but did not investigate further than taking the details of the incident. The hotel were sympathetic and understanding, but ultimately could not admit liability as they could not find any evidence of 'suspicious activity'.

However, I would be highly surprised if any reasonable person did not find it suspicious that several items had been taken from a secure hotel room, with no signs of forced entry.
Apart from the monetary value of the items stolen, there was data on the laptop with considerable sentimental value that had not been backed up – such as photos from holidays, and the days following my young niece being born. Having the more incidental items stolen such as moisturiser, has lead me to the assumption that all of my property had been gone through, which increases how violated I feel as a result of this.

The hotel had mentioned that as safes are provided, I should have used one for my laptop while I was away (although there was no obvious signage). But would you put your after shave in a safe? Indeed, in a hotel as prestigious as St. Ermin's I would presume that my property would be as safe as if it was in my own home, and this is an impression that I would assume my fellow guests would share.

I have been caught in two minds about posting this review, but I cannot get over the injustice I feel at this incident and how it has been dealt with.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
14 Thank mcsparshatt
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback regarding my team and the service we provide, it is very much appreciated.
Regarding your missing items, as you have mentioned, we did alert the police and as there was no forced entry they concluded that it could not be treated as suspicious.
We provide safes in each of our guest rooms which are large enough for items such as laptops and we encourage our guests to use them should they have valuables.
I am sorry that you were not happy with the way we dealt with this, but I believe we followed all procedures with due diligence.

Yours sincerely,