“Quality refurbishment, convenient for Whitehall”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #76 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 16, 2013

St Ermin's used to be thought of as rather dowdy but seems to have gone through a major renovation recently. Our room, a deluxe with king-size bed, was certainly immaculate. Not at all to my taste - a designer-ish confection of green walls, purple spotted curtains, red and black zig-zag fabrics etc! - but undeniably done to a very high standard. New furnishings, extremely comfortable bed, splendid bathroom, flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, kettle etc. More or less anything you might want - except free wifi!

Room size was fine, but this was a deluxe - maybe standard rooms are on the small side? No view from the room - they are arranged in a U-shape around a central courtyard, so look into one another. Lobby is spacious and a comfortable spot to meet friends. Price, on a discount deal in February, was very good for such a location.

St Ermin's is very well-placed, with St James's Park tube station a few yards away (and St James's Park itself, for a bit of fresh air). Handy for anyone who has dealings with the British government or bureaucracy in Westminster and Whitehall but also convenient for tourist attractions such as Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. But it's a pretty dead area in the evenings.

Room Tip: Top floor (6th) was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Langtang50
There are newer reviews for St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a work meeting and overall the hotel was very good. The only thing that let them down was the breakfast. It wasn't very hot and both the sausage and bacon were not the quality I expected. I understand that there were a lot of us taking breakfast at once and that we were in a separate suite but this shouldn't lead to compromised quality.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Location is perfect, between Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace.
The staff is very courteous.
Excellent service, beautiful interior, highly recommended.
My next stay in London sure will be at St.Ermin's again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
An Accor traveler
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night in February for a Birthday shopping trip for my wife and I.

The location is great, just a minute from the tube and 5 minutes from Buckingham Palace. The rooms too were lovely, a tad on the small size but I would say no different than any other central London hotel in the same price range. The room had all we could ask for and was decorated in a very tasteful way.

We spent all day sightseeing and shopping so didn’t really get to take all of the hotel in, but the main entrance and walk ways were really clean modern and classy.

The staff too were efficient and friendly, especially the people outside on the doors, they couldn’t do enough.

The bad thing for us was the hotel restaurant. We were quite tired so didn’t want to go too far. I’d heard good things about it. We had drinks (G&T’s) first and they were really well priced for such a nice hotel.
The starter was excellent, We’ve been to some of London’s best restaurants and The Caxton Grilles starters beat them. When the main came £30 for s steak seemed ok especially for London, you did have to pay extra for your sides though. But for that kind of money I would have expected something a lot better. The steak was cooked perfectly, but that’s it. The quality was poor and there was no taste to it. The salad was covered in olives and tasted strange, The best bit were the Garlic Fries, I would have preferred to have had a bigger portion of them and no steak.

We were so tired that we just ate some of it and left the rest and went to bed early.

I am a strong believer in the fact that if a meal is cooked well and the service is good then I will be extremely generous with a tip, paying much more than the standard 10% us Brits seem to give. At Caxtons there was a 12.5% tip already on the bill which I think is never a good thing for any place to do, mainly because most people will either not notice it or they will be too embarrassed to ask for it to be removed should there be bad food/service. A tip should be worked for, it shouldn’t be like the US where it’s a given regardless of the food/service, but that’s just my beliefs, maybe living on a small island where food quality and service is 99% of the time ‘excellent’ I get used to it.

Even though the main course wasn’t too great, the service at this point was quite good so I decided to pay the 12.5% (mainly as I was at this point very sleepy) tip rounding it up to the nearest whole pound. I didn’t have much change on me, and not wanting to break another £20 note I gave them a few 10p’s & 20p’s. When I gave this to the waiter who had served us all night, he called me back and insisted I wait until he had counted all of my coins twice in front of a half full restaurant. Forgetting the fact that there was already £140 in there which included a 12.5% tip, very embarrassing.

One tip for breakfast, its £24 a person in the hotel, but next door you have a prêt, or even better we thought was that about 2 minutes walk away is a House of Frasier that has a café which serves a great breakfast for £5.75 

Anyway enough of my ranting. I wouldn’t want the above situation to effect anyone coming to this hotel. It really is a stunning hotel, has great rooms and a perfect London location. I would personally never return but that’s only because of the restaurant incident.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stay here sometimes for work and really like it. It has well equipped rooms, good food and nice decor, but the thing that sets it apart is that it has lots of atmosphere and personality. There is a bell in the lobby that was used to call people back into parliamentary sessions. The staff are really helpful and all the rooms I've had have been good and reasonably big. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between a standard double and an executive room (the latter had a sofa, but wasn't much bigger). nice breakfast, including freshly prepared hot stuff. Good room service. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel just for one night with another couple. The hotel is in a good position depending on what you want to see in London. Good for Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, St James Park etc but not so good for Covent Garden, West End. We had a bit of a problem checking in as our friends had arrived earlier and the girl on reception couldn't seem to grasp that we were the second couple on the booking and she gave us the same room as our friends. Anyway not a big problem. The room was very compact but also very nicely furnished with tea/coffee making facilities, minibar. Nice toiletries by The White Co in the compact bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately for us there was a child in the next room which screamed during the night and then again started up at about 5am screaming continually until another guest went and bashed on the door and had a few very loud words. When we mentioned this upon check out they very kindly knocked our bar bill off of the bill. In fairness to the hotel we should have rung down and complained to the front desk who could have sorted the situation out by strangling the little brat. The hotel has been refurbished to a high standard is is very pretty with a lovely entrance. The cream tea was very nice and the continental breakfast whilst fairly limited was adequate. I would definitely stay again if I wanted an hotel in that specific area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends