“Great location and nice rooms”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #79 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Great location and nice rooms”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night in February for a Birthday shopping trip for my wife and I.

The location is great, just a minute from the tube and 5 minutes from Buckingham Palace. The rooms too were lovely, a tad on the small size but I would say no different than any other central London hotel in the same price range. The room had all we could ask for and was decorated in a very tasteful way.

We spent all day sightseeing and shopping so didn’t really get to take all of the hotel in, but the main entrance and walk ways were really clean modern and classy.

The staff too were efficient and friendly, especially the people outside on the doors, they couldn’t do enough.

The bad thing for us was the hotel restaurant. We were quite tired so didn’t want to go too far. I’d heard good things about it. We had drinks (G&T’s) first and they were really well priced for such a nice hotel.
The starter was excellent, We’ve been to some of London’s best restaurants and The Caxton Grilles starters beat them. When the main came £30 for s steak seemed ok especially for London, you did have to pay extra for your sides though. But for that kind of money I would have expected something a lot better. The steak was cooked perfectly, but that’s it. The quality was poor and there was no taste to it. The salad was covered in olives and tasted strange, The best bit were the Garlic Fries, I would have preferred to have had a bigger portion of them and no steak.

We were so tired that we just ate some of it and left the rest and went to bed early.

I am a strong believer in the fact that if a meal is cooked well and the service is good then I will be extremely generous with a tip, paying much more than the standard 10% us Brits seem to give. At Caxtons there was a 12.5% tip already on the bill which I think is never a good thing for any place to do, mainly because most people will either not notice it or they will be too embarrassed to ask for it to be removed should there be bad food/service. A tip should be worked for, it shouldn’t be like the US where it’s a given regardless of the food/service, but that’s just my beliefs, maybe living on a small island where food quality and service is 99% of the time ‘excellent’ I get used to it.

Even though the main course wasn’t too great, the service at this point was quite good so I decided to pay the 12.5% (mainly as I was at this point very sleepy) tip rounding it up to the nearest whole pound. I didn’t have much change on me, and not wanting to break another £20 note I gave them a few 10p’s & 20p’s. When I gave this to the waiter who had served us all night, he called me back and insisted I wait until he had counted all of my coins twice in front of a half full restaurant. Forgetting the fact that there was already £140 in there which included a 12.5% tip, very embarrassing.

One tip for breakfast, its £24 a person in the hotel, but next door you have a prêt, or even better we thought was that about 2 minutes walk away is a House of Frasier that has a café which serves a great breakfast for £5.75 

Anyway enough of my ranting. I wouldn’t want the above situation to effect anyone coming to this hotel. It really is a stunning hotel, has great rooms and a perfect London location. I would personally never return but that’s only because of the restaurant incident.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,048)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Derbyshire
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stay here sometimes for work and really like it. It has well equipped rooms, good food and nice decor, but the thing that sets it apart is that it has lots of atmosphere and personality. There is a bell in the lobby that was used to call people back into parliamentary sessions. The staff are really helpful and all the rooms I've had have been good and reasonably big. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between a standard double and an executive room (the latter had a sofa, but wasn't much bigger). nice breakfast, including freshly prepared hot stuff. Good room service. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kent, UK
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel just for one night with another couple. The hotel is in a good position depending on what you want to see in London. Good for Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, St James Park etc but not so good for Covent Garden, West End. We had a bit of a problem checking in as our friends had arrived earlier and the girl on reception couldn't seem to grasp that we were the second couple on the booking and she gave us the same room as our friends. Anyway not a big problem. The room was very compact but also very nicely furnished with tea/coffee making facilities, minibar. Nice toiletries by The White Co in the compact bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately for us there was a child in the next room which screamed during the night and then again started up at about 5am screaming continually until another guest went and bashed on the door and had a few very loud words. When we mentioned this upon check out they very kindly knocked our bar bill off of the bill. In fairness to the hotel we should have rung down and complained to the front desk who could have sorted the situation out by strangling the little brat. The hotel has been refurbished to a high standard is is very pretty with a lovely entrance. The cream tea was very nice and the continental breakfast whilst fairly limited was adequate. I would definitely stay again if I wanted an hotel in that specific area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kungalv, Sweden
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend from thursday to sunday and just about everything was great.
After booking direct with the hotel we had some e mail correspond with the hotell and we got a lot more info of restaurang tips, how to reach the hotel etc. very quick.
Staff are very helpful.
Rooms are not large but not small, very clean and pure 4 star quality right through.
Breakfast ok but no vegetable unless you ask.
Could have been some paté to have on the bread but cheese and other meat was nice.
Subway 3-5 min walk away, very quiet area and 5 - 8 min walk to Big Ben, Queens residence.

We would defentlt stay here again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fantastic hotel and very friendly staff! Everything was very nice and this is the most beautiful hotel that we have ever stayed at. Location is amazing. Overall fantastic experience! Would highly recommend this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

we went to a reception here, and thought it a good venue for a wedding.
The entrance is quite enchanting and very atmospheric. Rooms are large and tastefully decorated. The food we had was delicious. The waiters were charming and very professional. We didn't take up the offer of a room for £170, but I am sure it would be nice to stay there, just a bit out of our budget for one night!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
altrincham
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our 2nd visit and there will be a 3rd! The staff are so well trained, friendly and polite. A pleasure to see. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Our room only had a shower but no bathtub and so we changed rooms next day to one with a bathtub with no bother at all. Rooms are modern and stylish with White Company toiletries. We opted for the continental breakfast which was adequate but a shame that you are charged for the hot version. Be that as it may, the St Ermin's is top class, location and all!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mandy043
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Madam,

We really appreciate your review and it is always good to hear from returning guests; I can see that you are a prolific traveller so we very much value you recommending us to others. We have many different room types with various bathroom layouts and I am pleased to read that we were able to assist promptly with your personal requirements.
We shall look forward to your third visit and please don’t hesitate to request a bath for your next booking so that we can have the perfect room ready for your stay.

Kind regards