“A great show!”
Review of Fortune Theatre

Fortune Theatre
Ranked #413 of 1,694 things to do in London
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I came to see The Woman In Black not knowing anything about it but the wife had read the book and seen the film version.

The theatre is small and this lends to the idea that you are part of the performance. The stage set is minimal, but this allows your imagination to add to the story and the set pieces that were there we're used to the fullest and looked the part. The actors were great and carried the performance well.

I didn't get the frights and scares that others in the audience got, but I really enjoyed the show. More so than any of the big budget, large cast performances I've seen. Thoroughly recommend the show!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Lovely traditional old quaint theatre, with a lot of history to it, hence on the small side. Went to see Woman in Black, now in its' 25th year, so must be doing something right!

I didn't know what to expect as others who had seen it did not want to spoil it for me. I was surprised at the production, only two male main actors in the play. The first half was slow and I had been warned about this so expected things to escalate in the second half, so kept listening intently so to keep track of the plot, thankfully, because the story did escalate and by the end, you realise just how clever the production is and how very talented the two actors were. Recommended for those who love an old traditional London theatre, steeped in history and a cleverly told and acted play.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

What a deary shambolic place...enough said really....well actually no...let's elaborate.

Went to watch "Woman in Black" which is a two man (well 2 man and 0.10 woman, she drops in about 4-5 times during the course to go Boo!)

The seeats are old, dusty and cramped, the decor is horrendous, the toilets are poor....staff are ok though....look like a gang of aspiring luvvies.

My other half said I fell asleep 3 or 4 times but I don't remember....but if I did then I think that would have been the highlight....I put the memory loss down to PTSD following the BOO! episodes....and obviously the sleep episodes were simply my body reacting to protect me from the dullness...bottom line...erm...don't bother...find a theatre and go see a play instead.

2  Thank KMC23W
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Theatre inside is very nice,old fashioned and cameral.Performance is average.If you looking for something advance or intelectual this isn`t right place.People are wearing very casual clothes for the event and eat and drink during performance.One woman had laughting attack for ten minutes and at the front of me I had to look at dirty sock from a men who put his foot on the chair.Very low class public.I was feeling sorry for actors.

2  Thank SebLenart
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I love the Fortune Theatre in London , it's a small venue with an intimate feel to it and the current play is The Woman In Black, now running in its 25th year. This is an eerie tale of a house on an isolated marsh in a remote part of England. There are two actors and very little else in the way of props, but this lends itself to the viewer's own imagination getting involved with the story as it unfolds into a chilling tale of loss and revenge....
Well worth a visit for theatre lovers .........