“Great food!”

Ranked #916 of 25,720 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: DA MARIO is a prestigious Italian Pizzeria-Ristorante champagne bar in Kensington.London We have been established over 50 years and we are one of the oldest family owned restaurants in London. We offer a very casual dining experience , however our attention to detail, authenticity , and food quality is of the highest standard . The restaurant has 180 covers over two floors and an outside terrace . We cater for the elite of kensington , plus celebrities and many music industry stars . Da mario was also the favourite restaurant of the late princess diana who dined here on many occasions , also bringing william and harry when younger ..
Reviewed August 6, 2019 via mobile

Was a little skeptical when we saw Princess Diana's name outside the restaurant. But the food was really exceptional! The service was good. There was a wait to get in, but it only took about 20 minutes. Definitely worth the wait!

2  Thank Janine Y

Reviewed August 6, 2019 via mobile

First of all I recommend you book in advance (as we did). It get’s very busy after 5pm and people queue for tables.
We were a family of 4 with kids 14 and 11. Had an early dinner (530pm) here before an event at Albert Hall. Fantastic Trattoria with excellent food at good prices. Our kids (pizza connoisseurs after several trips to Italy) said their food was every bit as good as anything they have had in Italy. High praise. Pasta dishes are plentiful and beautifully prepared. Great, relaxed atmosphere. We will be back. Top marks.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank U2214DXdavidh
Reviewed August 5, 2019

We came here after reading reviews and seeing the queues when staying nearby - obviously popular. Booked a table for 6.30 and had short wait - but no problem. Very friendly and attentive staff. Excellent Italian meal - a Neapolitan ragu with a rich slow cooked beef - absolutely delicious and beautiful fresh ingredients in our starters. Could not criticise food or service. So why not five stars? The other bloody customers! We were put in a table right by the door - should not have been a problem even though the management operate a queuing system with a red rope which put us very near those waiting. Sadly not many with the British queuing mentality and a succession of assertive and boorish .. hmmm....overseas.... customers seeming to think that they could wait beyond the rope and practically sitting on our table because they had reservations and should receive special treatment. So to the lady with the rather large derriere who parked it on the edge of our table if you are wondering what the reddish stain was on your skirt when you go back to your hotel a week or so ago - well its the remains of the ragu on my wife's plate which was subtly pushed in your direction when you ignored our polite requests to back off and give us some space. And to the American couple who thought you could actually place your rucksacks and mobiles on our table I hope that you secured a little more privacy when you got to your table. At least you had the grace to apologise and respond to my plea to back away. You can't legislate for boorish clientele but a plea to the management is this: could you devise a better way of keeping your customers behind the rope and not have them crowd the diners by the door?! Otherwise an excellent Italian restaurant close to Hyde Park in a lovely setting. Will definitely return - even if we specify a different table!

1  Thank finesseskip
Reviewed August 2, 2019 via mobile

This has become one of my go to places in London. The food is spectacular. The pasta is excellent, but the pizza is really the star here. I went to Campania last year and really grew a strong affinity for Neapolitan pizza. This is as good as or better than anything I had there. We ordered a bufalina which is a pizza with pomadoro, basil, and imported italian buffalo mozzarella. It was exactly how pizza should taste. The crust was perfectly chewy. I agree with my wife when she said it is light, yet filling. We ended the night with a Sorrento lemon sorbet. It was excellent as expected. If you want excellent, authentic neapolitan pizza in London, look no further than Da Mario's.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Ryan A
Reviewed August 1, 2019

My daughter and I stopped by this restaurant on our way from Hyde Park back to our hotel. The wait staff walked by our numerous times, as we waited at the front door. We finally asked one waiter if we could sit on the patio and he said it wasn't his section. The next waiter said, go ahead. We waited for 15 minutes and received no service, even though the waiter that said it wasn't his section passed our table to give a new patron a menu. Needless to say, we left and found a great restaurant down the street that was more than happy to serve lunch to us.

2  Thank Laurie M
cordon-bleu-chef, General Manager at Da Mario Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2019

m sorry to hear this ...
It’s very strange that we would ignore you ...
Did you manage to speak to the manager ?
I’m sure he would have done his best to help you ...
It’s difficult to know how you were ignored ...
Please can you explain better ?
We do apologise if this happened but it’s not our policy to ignore customers ...
Please can you explain ?
Many thanks
Da Mario
3:18 PM

we do apologise for this , I am looking into this and will come back to you when I have done my investigation .
I thank you for bringing this to my attention . We happily receive all reviews positive and negative so we can highlight and improve on areas where we do go wrong sometimes .
In the meantime I would like to invite you and your daughter for a complimentary lunch at da mario as an apology ..

please can you e mail me direct at marco@damario.co.uk to arrange this ?

Many thanks