“AVOID!”

Ranked #191 of 574 London B&B and Inns
Hannover, Germany
“AVOID!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed at this establisment for 9 days in March.

From the beginning to the end it was a thoroughly arduous experience.

I was to be arriving late from Heathrow on the Friday night, so sent an e mail to ask whether the collection of keys would still be possible. To their credit, I received an e mail swiftly back confirming that there will be someone there until at least 02:00, so not a problem.

And that is where the posivitity ends.

I phoned the day before my departure, just to confirm what the e mail had informed me. I was greeted at the other end by a gruff "Hello". Thinking I had mis-dialled and rung a private number, I asked if this was the Cart and Horses. It was indeed. Confirmation that keys could be collected, I also asked if towells were provided. The gruff voice confirmed this as well.

Upon arriving at the Cart and Horses, I was actually refused entry by two bouncers at the door. I was told to go to the door around the corner. I did! It was locked. So I rang the bell there. And then I rang it again. After the 5th ring I had to confront the chaps again, explaining that I had to somehow collect my keys.

The bouncer kindly entered the pub and said someone would meet me at the door. The money had to be paid up front, which I didn't really have a problem with, although maybe a mention on the website would help others.

The room itself was ok. Carpet was a bit tatty but true to form, flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facitlites, and the bathroom looked new, so quite pleased.

The young lady who showed me my room, also showed me the password to the Wifi, which was in an information pack, and where the breakfast facilities were.

I was aware before my trip, that the pub had live music on. What I was not aware of was until 02:00 in the morning, Friday AND Saturday. This is not mentioned at all on the website.

With sleep impossible, I logged onto the Wifi. Only I didn't. For some reason, you can log on, but using it was a no go for the entire duration of my stay.

A shower, I thought! Plus point....the shower is very good, spacious and clean. But had no idea how the thing worked. I know, I'll look in the instructions, that will tell me. Nope! I still have no idea how the thing works, although there are only two dials on it. The water comes out scalding hot even at one of the lowest settings.

Breakfast facilities consist of packs of cereal in a wooden cupboard on the landing. Each morning there was a jug of milk and juice. In the website it alludes to a "continental breakfast". This is NOT a Continental breakfast. In fairness, it does say "that consists of a selection of Cereals and Juices". Point one for the website...drop the "continental" and the "s" from "juices".

The bed was awful. Squeaky and unstable.

Looking around the room, attention to detail could have made it so much more enjoyable. For example, filling in the hole in the ceiling, and putting the mirror on the wall straight.

On the Saturday night, it happened to be St.Patricks night. Again, a band was playing. Now some people, not me I hasten to add, may take offence at hearing Irish rebel songs.

The cleaning of the room was sparing to say the least. Sometimes, not even the bare minimum was done, as the sink from the morning still had my whiskas in after a shave.

By the end of the stay, something had happened to the bed, and I found myself lying in a bow in the hardboard underneath the mattress. I know that when I left the room, this was not the case, and when I returned someone had un drawn the curtains and tied them back. To get to the the right hand curtain, you had to step or lean on the bed. Coincidence?

Nothing here that a a bit of honesty, and bit of attention to detail and obviously a bit of elbow grease can not solve, but I shall not be staying here again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Graham B
Justin E, Owner at Cart And Horses, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Hi Graham,

Firstly, thank you very much for your review and for staying with us in March. We were very sorry to hear that you were unhappy during your stay and have mentioned in your review the problems you experienced. We apologise for the time it has taken to reply as we were only made aware of this review on May 29th 2012.

To begin, we apologise profusely in regards to you having to wait at our side entrance and the miscommunication between our door supervisors, in informing us of your arrival. That hasn’t happened before and we assure you will not happen again.

In regards to payment being made at check-in, we have been advised by booking.com that you are informed of our 100% deposit for the first night and the requirement of payment at check-in. I have been told by Booking.com that this is the norm for most hotels.

When booking with Booking.com their website does state that “The pub hosts regular live music events each weekend”, however at the time you stayed the website did not state until 2am. We have since updated the information to inform all future guests that music is live until 2am. Moreover, as it was St. Patrick’s Day we chose to have an Irish band play live, we had a very successful night and thank fully no complaints about the “rebel songs” you had heard.

We apologise again in regards to the problems you encountered with our Wi-Fi facilities, since your stay, we have updated our provider and installed signal boosters to improve the strength. If we had been aware that the signal strength was particularly weak, we would have tried our best to inform you and provided you with a personal signal booster or Ethernet connection.

In our hotel, all showers are user friendly and we have never had to show or have instructions for a guest on how to use them. However, we again apologise that you struggled to get it working and plan to show future guests how to work their shower to avoid this problem reoccurring.

You also mentioned your dissatisfaction in our continental breakfast, which consists of multiple cereals and juices. We are sorry that you were only given the choice of one juice as we normally have at least two on offer and have since updated what is on offer to our guests.

Since opening our hotel, we have maintained very high cleanliness standards and this is illustrated by our current 7.2 review level on booking.com. I can only apologise again for the mishap that occurred during your stay and would like to reiterate that this was a one off occasion and that our rooms are cleaned to a very high standard normally.

In addition we were deeply sorry to hear that something happened to your bed during your stay and again can only apologise, as this isn’t a true reflection of the Cart and Horses and is not the norm. We strive to ensure that you and every guest enjoy your stay with us thoroughly and to ensure these circumstances never occur again we have taken it upon ourselves to find out who was working that day and inform them of your review.

To conclude, previously, whenever a guest has had a problem in their room such as a not functioning shower or a problematic bed they have informed us straight away and we have had the shower fixed or the bed replaced. If you had informed us of the multiple problems you had encountered during your stay, I can assure you 100% that we would have corrected them straight away and solved any further problems occurring such as your disappointment during your stay.

We have taken all of your comments on board and will make immediate improvements where relevant and ensure we maintain our current high standards. I can only hope that you can accept our deepest apologies and may change your mind and come and stay with us again in the future.

Kind regards
Justin & Staff
Cart and Horses Bar and Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)