“Cutesy cupcakes”
Review of Primrose Bakery

Primrose Bakery
Ranked #79 of 306 Bakeries in London
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Primrose Bakery was founded in October 2004. Having started out baking for children's parties, Martha Swift and then business partner Lisa Thomas, quickly noticed how well the cupcakes went down with adults! Now twelve years on, Martha Swift is sole owner and the business continues to go from strength to strength. We have three shops located in Primrose Hill, Covent Garden and Kensington, plus five cookbooks and an App. At times it's hard to believe that something that started at home has grown so much. It gives us all a huge sense of satisfaction to see people queuing out into the street on a Saturday afternoon, waiting to buy our cakes - there is no better feeling than this, to see that people really do want to buy and eat what we have made. We have tried to keep it to simple old fashioned cooking, using good quality, seasonal and well sourced ingredients, as one might use at home when baking for your own children, friends and family.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is my second visit to primrose bakery next to Covent garden. First time I had lemon cupcake and salted caramel. Both delicious and light. This time I had rose and white choc/raspberry. Again both flavoursome but a little dry. Staff very friendly and gave good service. Surroundings are cute but only 3 tables means you might not get a seat. It was empty mid morning so I could relax with my cake reading their cupcake book!! Would come again as there are still more cakes to try.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I visited because it had good reviews and was very disappointed. The cafe itself was lovely but the cupcakes weren't worth the money or calories - the cake was a little dry and the icing was nothing to write home about. I'd give it a miss.

1  Thank debo345
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I've always wanted to visit the primrose bakery since I received the book as a gift years ago but have never managed to get to north london to find it in primrose hill.

Little cafe, with American diner-esque decor, A little tatty though. The chair i was sat on had a ripped cushion cover. cakes were lovely, admittedly not a great range of flavour choice. Had a salted caramel, dry sponge but lovely icing - not £3.30 worth to eat in!!

service was good, polite young ladies, although keen to clear us away as soon as we had finished. perhaps over staffed.

Worth visiting if you are in the area, but doesn't quite beat the Hummingbird Bakery!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Good all round bakery and nice cupcakes and good drinks menus, the kids love the tasty hot chocolate. A little on the pricey side, but eh that is London for you. Not a patch on Magnolia Bakery in NYC though.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been here a few times and on every trip to London always like to pop in. Last time I didnt and tried another popular cupcake place, which is more style over substance.

What I love about this place (Apart from the cakes) is its charm. It isnt big and I have on a couple of occasions had to buy and take elsewhere as there wasnt anywhere to sit. At less than £10 for 2 cakes and 2 coffees I feel this in London is good value.

There is a massive selection of cakes, and you can buy the cook book. You can make these at home exactly as they sell in the sh