“Lovely food, shame about the rude sales assistant”
Review of Primrose Bakery

Primrose Bakery
Ranked #80 of 307 Bakeries in London
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Primrose Bakery was founded in October 2004. Having started out baking for children's parties, Martha Swift and then business partner Lisa Thomas, quickly noticed how well the cupcakes went down with adults! Now twelve years on, Martha Swift is sole owner and the business continues to go from strength to strength. We have three shops located in Primrose Hill, Covent Garden and Kensington, plus five cookbooks and an App. At times it's hard to believe that something that started at home has grown so much. It gives us all a huge sense of satisfaction to see people queuing out into the street on a Saturday afternoon, waiting to buy our cakes - there is no better feeling than this, to see that people really do want to buy and eat what we have made. We have tried to keep it to simple old fashioned cooking, using good quality, seasonal and well sourced ingredients, as one might use at home when baking for your own children, friends and family.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have given this review a poor rating simply because of the extremely rude manner of one particular sales assistant. The cakes were lovely and we could not fault them. We visited on Friday 31st August with our elderly mum. We were told by one assistant that we could have crumpets so we sat our mum down and proceeded to order the crumpets with the another sales assistant who was working. She told us we couldnt have crumpets as the toaster was broken. We explained that we had already asked the other assistant if we could order crumpets before settling our mum down into a seat. The girl who was serving us just shrugged her shoulders as if to say, tough, nothing she could do about it. We then proceeded to order several other items and all I can say is the girl who served us made us feel very unwelcome, as though she was doing us a favour and it was a real effort for her to serve us, never mind speak to us. She was the rudest sales assistant I have ever come across. We ordered 6 cakes and drinks and when my sister went to pay, the rude assistant stamped my sister's loyalty card once. My sister queried this with her and was told very abruptly one visit, one stamp. What a shame that this one person spoilt our visit to such a lovely bakery.

5  Thank 29Poppy

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Morning coffee and cake at the Covent Garden branch of the Primrose Bakery. The coffee was excellent, the cakes were amazing and the service was first class. Thank you Primrose Bakery.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I've visited twice. Once, I took my boyfriend and parents (November), and we had cupcakes and tea and watched the world go by through the large windows, just off to the side of the Covent Garden area in London. It's good for people-watching and nice cupcakes. My favourites were the pumpkin and the Earl Grey tea cupcakes. The cupcakes are not too 'heavy' or too sweet. They are just right.

My blog entry here with photos: http://jenikya.com/blog/2012/05/morning-indulgence-at-primrose.html

1  Thank rebeljenn
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I always love going back to this place, both the one in Covent Garden and the original in Primrose Hill. The cupcakes are delicious but it's also fun to discover what else they have been developing - I love the peanut butter cookies and their Christmas treats as well, the brandy butter icing is divine. I have got both the books but the real treat is a visit and the coffee is fantastic.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I love cupcakes, so it's obvious why I like this place. I like the tiny cupcakes, that way I don't have to roll out of the bakery when I've had my latte and cupcake. Or, I can have 2 diffent flavours... The space is a bit to small for all the customers, but is nicely decorated (50's). Some of the staff seem a bit grumpy, others are a delight.