“Dinner”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Six of us arrived at Aurelia at approximately 8:30 pm on Saturday evening. We were asked if we would like a drink at the bar, I said that we would prefer to go straight to our table but we were not shown to our table downstairs until I had asked several times. The table was in a draughty corner which was really quite chilly and for a long time we were offered nothing other than bread and water. The white wine was rather warm and when the starters eventually came the minestrone soup looked and tasted like green dish water and the steak tartar was apparently completely tasteless. We had to ask several times to be served our main course which eventually arrived two hours after our table was booked, i.e. 10:30 pm by which time we were becoming irritated as well as hungry. When the main dishes did arrive two were too cold to be eaten, one was “warmed up” and returned to the table but the other had to be re-cooked meaning that we did not all eat together. Even the end of the meal was unsatisfactory. We were offered a complimentary bottle of wine but by then we had finished eating our food so did not want it and when we ordered tea and coffee, one of the coffees was forgotten about and only brought after several reminders and when everyone else had finished their drinks.

Despite the fact that we were not expected to pay service charge or for our beverages or ice cream or the dish that had to be re-cooked, the bill still came to £300 which is a lot of money for such an unsatisfactory meal. We were really disappointed and would certainly never recommend Aurelia as there are so many much better and significantly cheaper Mediterranean style restaurants in London

2  Thank Linda C
There are newer reviews for Aurelia

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Five friends went to Sunday Lunch at Aurelia with a Groupon Voucher.
The Food and Service were both very good, it did not matter that we had the voucher,
we were not rushed and the managment took time to have conversation with us
It was a set menu and we all enjoyed the courses, fabulous dessert. Had a lovely relaxing Sunday lunch. We will be returning when we are in London again.

1  Thank susan l
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Went there for my first time on Friday night for dinner with a collleague, loved the place at the first, We were well looked after from the staff specially from the Manager which was in charge, loved the food they sugested and the wine recommedation.Because of the that great experience we had on Friday I rebooked for Saturday dinner for 6, and again me and my guests loved once more time What a great place to discover, It was recommended from the concierge of Brawns Hotel where I stay every time in London. I thank the guys from the Hotel and the restaurant for the great weekend I had.

2  Thank wineL1981
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The food was ok but not great. Poor service, I have never seen so many staff wandering aimlessly. We will not return.

3  Thank Tanya M
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We ate with friends, courtesy of a couple of group on vouchers, which entitled us to a 3 course meal from the set menu. The starters (beetroot salad and a Caesar salad) were both good but the lamb that followed was just delicious. Beautifully cooked and very lean. I could have done with a few more vegetables but what there was were tasty.
The desserts were good and generously sized. My husband has the apple tart which was excellent. The pastry was so light.
Service was quick, polite and attentive. Atmosphere was cosy.
Wine was the cheapest on the menu for £20 for 500ml, but was a thoroughly decent drop. Most of the other wine was way out of our price range.
Definitely worth another trip.

3  Thank StokeyRuth