“No luxury in Fitzrovia”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
122 Great Titchfield Street B&B
Ranked #109 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Toronto
“No luxury in Fitzrovia”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Since we would be in London for a few days we decided to try renting a small apartment from residents rather than opting for one in a hotel. It was a chance to try a different neighbourhood than is our usual haunt so we decided on 122 Great Titchfield Street. The photos made the property look appealing but as a photographer, I should not have fallen for the trick.

The first floor studio is a self-contained apartment. What isn’t described well is the state of the bathroom. It is the oddest design. The shower is overhead situated in between the toilet and sink.
The floor is made of open planks and the drain is underneath. It was necessary to brush teeth & address any other bathroom needs before having a shower and putting socks on as once the floor was wet it just didn’t dry. This type of design may work in Bali but not in damp UK. There are no ceramic tiles in the bathroom and consequently the pealing painted walls and door are turning moldy.

Winter would not be comfortable in this studio apartment as the only heat source is at the street side and it is my guess that the bathroom floor would never dry then.

Some ‘get started’ food was left for us including rancid butter in the fridge. I think often people in the UK who do not have modern homes tend to not understand refrigerators and that they cannot be turned off when not in use or if the appliance is off to conserve electricity, that the door must be kept open to allow the fridge to breath. It smelled bad for the very reasons I cite.

The weather was quite warm while we in London and so we took the stained comforter out of the wrinkled cover. Ugh. The apartment was dusty and reminded me of student digs.

As for the location it was okay, it is about a 12-minute walk to Oxford Circus or Tottenham Court Road station. There are restaurants on the street however they had lots of smokers and the fare not interesting. Charlotte Street is close with some okay eateries. There are grocery stores close enough with Sainsbury’s being the best for baked goods.

Sadly we arrived at 122 Great Titchfield after 2 glorious, sumptuous nights at the sophisticated, luxurious, elegant Hever Castle bed & breakfast, the contrast couldn’t be more extreme. The sad bit is that we paid GBP150 for both places and one was superb the other was disappointing.

Mike & Wendy would be well advised to address my comments and fix up their property.

The building comments are from experience. My husband and I have renovated a 19th century building and built a new modern, glass & steel house and we do have considerable knowledge and expertise in construction & design.

I wrote the details as it would be helpful for others contemplating staying at 122 Great Titchfield to have a clearer picture of what to expect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LIndaWS
WendyShillam, Owner at 122 Great Titchfield Street B&B, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, but we really do not recognise the place that you describe. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned by MIke or me before every visit.. All the food comes fresh from the supermarket.. There is no mould or smelly fridges. The fridge in the apartment is kept on the whole time. (The English do understand refrigeration!) One of our regular customers stayed there the night before your stay and reported no such problems. If any guest has any sort of complaint with their room we really do encourage them to tell us while they are staying with us. We are constantly asking our guests if they are happy with everything. We are sorry that when we asked you, you said nothing about these issues.
I am also sorry that you thought the room was not good value for money. Mike and I feel that it is not fair to compare the smallest room in an out of the way place with a whole apartment in central London.
We share our home with generally delightful people who enjoy the pleasures of living for a week or so right in the heart of Westminster. As you can see from the many five star reviews we receive, most of our guests enjoy their stay. We hope readers of this page will scroll down to the many good reviews here to get true picture of our home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I liked my week there but can see how it wouldn't suit someone looking for Luxury or a lot peace and quiet. It's got character and it's in a fun part of town, central to everything, but that comes with a bit of noise when the pubs clear. The hosts were very accommodating and went the extra mile to help me gain access while they were away, and to make sure i was comfortable once there. I thought the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I would definitely recommend a stay at 122 Great Titchfield luxury B&B. The location was perfect for us and our 3 children to get around. Our room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable. The owners Mike and Wendy were very warm and provided a wealth of information on the local area. We hope to come back again!! Sarah & Rob Cornwall

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Myself and Fiancé stayed here in June this year for 2 nights after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor.
Before arriving Mike was helpful and communicated with us very well & answered any questions we had promptly.
Upon arrival Mike greeted us at the door and took us up to our room and showed us what was what etc!
We thought the room was slightly dated and dusty in places, but although small the En-suite was immaculate. We didn't quite get where "LUXURY" comes in to it though!! We would recommend you to take slippers with you as the old bare floor boards could be a problem! Breakfast wasn't the best, and on the second morning I had ordered scrambled egg, when breakfast was delivered to our room Mike said " I know you ordered Scrambled Egg but I had already started to cook you Fried egg before I realised" - We were both quite shocked by his attitude the way he said this as anywhere else would have re cooked what you had ordered!
The huge plus with this B&B is the short walk to Oxford St.
All in all it is an average B&B not Luxury!

Room Tip: If you are just looking for location then this is the place!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 20_Sun_Sea_Sand_11
We are very sorry that this reviewer got the wrong breakfast. We would of course have re-made the entire breakfast for you if you'd asked.
The rooms are converted tailors workrooms. and yes they do have the original timber floors. We concentrate on giving our guests a splendid organic breakfast and really comfortable beds. Our rooms are considerably larger and cheaper than hotels around us. The furniture is a mixture of antiques and twentieth century classics. We do make this all very clear on our website, which we encourage you to read before booking.
If you are looking for luxury in the guise of chintz and chocolates of the pillow, 122 Great Titchfield Street is not for you. But if you want the luxury of a really nice clean room, bang in the centre of London, friendly hosts and a secure family feel, then please try us.

Please look at the many other five star reviews we receive to get a balanced picture of our home.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My 13-year old daughter and I stayed here for two nights, and really loved the B&B. The room was light and spacious, with comfortable seating and an excellent collection of books to keep us both entertained. We slept very well in the comfortable beds (nicely firm, and lovely cotton bedding). Breakfast was plentiful and delicious - we went for the continental option, with excellent muesli, fabulous fruit salad, yogurt, and a selection of warm and crusty breads. The central location was also perfect, and allowed us to walk to all of the sights. Mike kindly let us keep the key to the room until the afternoon of our departure, so we could leave our things while we enjoyed our final day in London. We'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
los angeles
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I now use this B&B on every visit I make back to the UK. Michael and Wendy always give such a great welcome, I look forward to coming back each time. This visit was a slightly different experience for me, as I stayed in room number 2, instead of the self catering studio. This meant i got to experience the delicious breakfast that the b&b offers. Great choice of continental or english, with all sorts of extra cereal, fruit and bread offerings if you desire.

My mother also came and joined me for the my last night in the B&B and they were most accommodating.

I can't recommend this place enough. It's a little oasis in the heart of London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank becporter
UK
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We read the rave reviews and decided to book this B&B. I must say we were very disappointed and think that using the word "luxury" in the title is misleading.
The room was very cluttered and dusty, there was stuff under the bed that obviously hadn't been dusted in a very long time and the books on the shelves were the same. I used one of the wine glasses in the bedroom and they too were covered in dust; but I noticed too late and my drink was ruined.
The pillows were like pancakes and the net curtains were very grubby.
Breakfast was ok, but we didn't get what we'd ticked on the form the night before.
The rather dour host told us to help ourselves to fresh milk in the kitchen but we took one look at the filthy and untidy kitchen and went and bought our own rather than go in there again.
On the plus side the location was good but that isn't going to be enough to tempt us back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oh dear, you did seem to have a wretched time and we are very sorry. You visited us during one of the hottest periods we've had in London and when there was repair work going on on the roof - which we told our guests about before they booked.
It was extremely difficult to keep the rooms as pristine as we normally like. Though I think you exaggerate somewhat? We wish you'd mentioned it at the time, as of course we would have done something straight away.
Your stayed in room three which was completely redecorated two weeks after your visit.