“Not great” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #359 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was my first visit to London and I hadn't heard of Tune before.

The hotel concept is good on paper but in reality I'm not sure it works. The rooms were tiny and situated on the Lower Ground my wife and I could hear the tube running all night.

There was a que while we checked in. By the time we got to the counter the lady serving us was short tempered with us. Wasn't a great first impression.

If you just need a bed I can see it being OK, but for anything more than two nights I don't think it's worth it.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 729Mark
TuneLivSt, General Manager at Point A Hotel London, Liverpool Street, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay, which is very unusual for us as you will notice from the high number of excellent reviews from other guests.
The majority of our rooms without windows are situated on the Lower Ground floor, and these rooms are available for guests to book if they wish to save extra money rather than booking a room with window which are all on the upper floors.
I apologise that the customer service you experienced was not to your satisfaction, and would like to reassure you that this is not the norm, as it seems we encountered a complete system crash on the evening of your stay, hence the queue to check-in.
I hope you will give us another try sometime.
Kind regards,
Elly Page

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My stay in the TUNE Hotel was perfect, nothing to complain about, I like the concept the way it is.
The room was perfectly clean and the bed was excellent and that’s what’s all about.
Clients don’t pay for what they don’t use, so the price is confortable too.
When you visit the city of London, you don't need any luxury in a hotel, everything you need is arround the corner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TuneLivSt, General Manager at Point A Hotel London, Liverpool Street, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

It is great to read that your stay at our hotel was perfect and that you had a great night’s sleep in our 5* beds, you were pleased with our clean and comfortable rooms and I am encouraged with your positive comments about our unique limited concept. It is also great to read that you found our central location to be of great convenience for your visit to London.

We look forward to you stay with us again in the future.

West Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

A few weeks before booking our hotel I noticed on late rooms it was listed for £60per night. Unfortunately due to various reasons I could not make the booking at this time. By the time I could then book the hotel it was £80per night (still one of the cheaper hotels near the centre of London). As a disabled guest I booked the disabled access room, the room was spacious but it lacked any comfort or character. The decor was a little "plastic".

All we needed for the stay was somewhere comfortable to sleep in a suitable location. The location was okay (we were going to the tobacco dock which was only a 30min walk). I felt slightly cheated with the price (£80 per night for a souless room that to be honest was pretty noisy and COLD!) I took a heater with me because I have stayed in these hotels before where you only pay for what you "need" and the heating was controlled throughout the hotel. I am so glad I took this as the room was freezing and the spacious modern decor did not make it feel warm and comfortable at all. The staff were okay but there was no effort to offer guests deals or any discounts to keep them satisfied. I paid £5 to check in early (by 1hr!!! when the room was already clean and ready... this seems ridiculous to me!) and £15 to check out late as we were absolutely exhausted. All in all the hotel was "okay" if I had paid the £60 room charge and then the extras to make it to £75 I wouldn't feel so bad but I feel slightly cheated paying £95 in total for a room that is basically travel lodge standards. A redeeming factor is that the hotel is right next to Spittalfields and it has some really interesting shops and cafes.

It wasn't a terrible stay and I would recommend the hotel to other young couples looking for a place to rest in London. However following my stay I did not feel rested or relaxed and the hotel itself lacked any character.

If the hotel company/staff were to use their initiative and be a little more forward thinking with regards to customer service I feel this hotel could be saved. I wouldn't write off staying here again, but I would only stay here for business or a flying visit not for a luxurious or enjoyable break.

Room Tip: Did not know that they had a restaurant or swimming pool as listed above? If they did this needs to...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback. Our rooms rates are not fixed and fluctuate based on daily demand and availability, so the earlier in advance you book the cheaper the rates will be.
Our concept is based on the fact that most visitors to London do not spend much time in their hotel rooms, so we offer the basics for a good night's sleep whilst not compromising on areas such as cleanliness, comfortable beds and power showers.
The add-on system allows guests the option to minimise their costs, and this is a brand standard across all of our hotels, so the front desk staff would not be permitted to override these procedures. Furthermore, each room has its own heating/cooling unit and temperatures can be changed further if you contact the front desk.
I hope you will give us another try sometime.
Kind regards,
Novo Mesto, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Clean rooms, very friendly and helpful staff. Maybe rooms are a little bit too small, but considering the price and time you spent in, it is just enough. Staying in room without windows is ok, air condition works, except till 11pm you hear Tube driving by, because they are located lower ground. I must say that I am very glad with my staying, it was overall very good, sleeping was super comfy and I would definitely book another stay here.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review.

I am very pleased that you found the hotel to be convenient, clean, comfortable and good value for money as these are key aspects to the Tune brand. Our add-on system encourages guests to consider what they really need and save on accommodation costs as much as possible. From your review it seems that you are exactly the savvy traveller that Tune Hotels are aimed at - those who want to spend most of their time in the city but still desire good customer service and a clean and comfortable room to go back to.

We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Well we booked this hotel for an induction conference for university and as we were trying to keep prices down we opted for ths hotel which was by far the cheapest at £45 per room per night. We booked the wrong type of room initally and it really isnt clear on the website how u make amendments and also that you would need to cancel and rebook in order to change room types and to do ths there will be £20 charge. Anyway after i voiced my concerns the hotel manager refunded this for me. Now i wasnt really expecting a great deal with this hotel as it markets itself as basic in concept. I have to be honest and say that for the price the hotel was brilliant. Rooms were basic but adequate, room not massive but ample. Very clean and staff really helpful on reception. Taxi was about £12 to leicester square, and the pub next door yo he hotel id ok too. Eud deffo choose ths htel again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for writing a review.

We always aim to offer value-for-money rooms, either for leisure or business stays, so it is so great to read that we have succeeded in this. It is also very encouraging to hear such great feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, and we will endeavour to maintain these high standards. I am very pleased that we overall we exceeded your expectations in terms of value and service. As you mentioned we are located in the Shoreditch area with great transport links to central London.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hotel is clean and basic. I booked a room with no windows, because of the price, and although my wife was sceptical, regarding the lack of a window, the room was ideal for what we needed. Smart looking bathroom, with a power shower. I'd describe the room as like an 'inner Cabin' on a cruise ship. Don't think that It would be suitable for any longer than a couple of nights without being a little clostrophobic. The location is ideal for the tube and public transport. I would definately stay here again, for a weekend!

Room Tip: The price for a room with no windows is great value, so if you're not too bothered about seeing...
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our 5-star quality beds in our clean rooms and found our staff helpful, and these are the key areas that we focus on as a brand. Our rooms are space efficient and include all the necessities for a good night’s sleep. Also our rooms without window give the guests the additional option to save even more money on their accommodation costs, but the choice is up to the guest, we have plenty of rooms with windows as well.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to your next visit.

Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Clean rooms, helpful & friendly staff, high quality fittings, great price, excellent location. Rooms are small, but that's very clear on the website. If you don't need space, this is ideal - one of my best stays in London (at any price). It's what Travelodge SHOULD be like but never is.

The only thing to improve would be the usability of the booking website. It's not the easiest, and very unforgiving if you make a mistake (you have to start again right from the beginning).

Overall, very happy.

Room Tip: We were in the basement (no windows) due to late booking, and were a little apprehensive, but it was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Guy L
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in London and for leaving your kind comments.

We are very pleased to read that you found our central location so ideal. We offer very competitive room rates with an add-on system that allows guests to design their own stay. Thank you for highlighting our transparency about our space efficient rooms. It is great to read that you enjoyed the great service we provided, our 5* beds in our clean comfy rooms and had a good night’s sleep and enjoyed staying in the double room without window. We have taken your feedback about our website on board, to consider for improvements in the near future.

We all look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.