“A Dramatic Dining Experience”
Review of Tierra Peru

Tierra Peru
Reserve with OpenTable
Tierra Peru is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,944 of 23,562 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional Peruvian food from the land of the Incas, served in a modern and relaxed athmosphere. Most authentic Peruvian restaurant in London.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is a lovely presented restaurant, with very friendly and pleasant waiting staff. However… We did have a slightly awkward experience dining here and I've got to say I can relate to the review regarding the manager unfortunately.

Upon entering the restaurant I informed the waitress of our booking and she told me (as we were using taste card which gets you 2for1 meals at this restaurant Sun-Thurs) that it’s one taste card between two and only valid if we have both starters and main course. I informed her we had two taste cards between four and she seated us and we proceeded to order our drinks and starters. None of the staff here speak English fluently and I would suggest something got lost in translation as even ordering was a little difficult.

We were choosing our mains when the manager stormed over and said I wasn’t allowed to book online when using my taste card, apparently I am to do it by phone. Bearing in mind there was only one other table in the restaurant occupied, I’m not sure he needed to worry about how I had gone about making my reservation. He said he would let it slide and I could use my taste card but just to know for next time. He THEN went on to say that it is one taste card per booking and as I had only made one booking for the four of us that we could only use one of our taste cards. We were flabbergasted at how petty this was so asked if he would like us to split the two tables and we can sit in 2 groups. He said no as we’d not booked the two tables (again there was plenty of empty tables for us to sit at in the restaurant if that was what he’d wanted!) We had already ordered starters and wine but at this point we had had enough of his stupidity. The taste website did not say anything about having to make separate bookings for each taste card or the fact that you have to order starters and main to get the offer, and he was arguing that it did. We started getting up to leave as we hadn’t been told these T’s and C’s upon being seated at the restaurant,and found it rather uncomfortable being told this when we’d settled and started to order. The manager then agreed to let us use the two taste cards for the four of us as long as we got a starter and main each (halleluiah!) and said he was happy for us to dine there after all.

In most situations the confrontation would put me off staying but the menu looked mouthwatering and we didn’t feel that uncomfortable, we were more worried about what they would potentially do to the food! I don’t regret staying one bit. The food was exceptional. Absolutely delicious, though portions looked slightly smaller than the table next to us I’m sure it was just a coincidence… The manager came back over and apologized for if he’d made us feel uncomfortable and the waiting staff continued to be as attentive as ever. At the end of the meal the manager also bought us over some complimentary biscuits that were very tasty indeed.

If you want some good food I would highly recommend this restaurant, service overall was excellent and the restaurant is lovely. If you’re going to use a taste card though be aware of the above and don’t sit down til you’re clear how you’re paying for the meal!! I would certainly go back and pay full price for the food and service delivered.

4  Thank Blondie86186338

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am a Peruvian Limenian 100% and I like to eat proper food, specially good quality food. I went to Tierra Peru with some friends from work (girls night)..the piscos and cocktails are to die for, The food was excellent and suculent, I loved the way the presentation of dishes were served, my friends automatically became fans of Peruvian cuisine. This resttaurant is small but it seems to be always busy, book in advance is advisable, because we saw so many people were turned away and others were waiting to grab a table. No wonder why, the food we had was lovely, full of flavour and I felt as if I was dining in Miraflores (my neighborhood) in Lima, excellent food, I am saw excited to see a boom in Peruvian cuisine in London. I recommend this place for people who enjoy a great night out with great cocktails, music and service.
Ps...thanks to the lovely waiter who looked after us on that night he was a bit flirty but in a charming way, he got a double tip! we definetely be back here soon.

2  Thank Ann Marie R
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family took me here for my birthday as a surprise treat, and everything was very well presented and organised. The staff were very friendly, the food was of a very high standard and I was not disappointed. The atmosphere was brilliant and had a very authentic feel about it! I recommend Tierra Peru to anyone and I'll definitely be returning!

2  Thank Musical_Whovian
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Myself and my mum went for lunch here on Saturday. This was our first experience of Peruvian food and we were not disappointed! We had the cerviche and peanut potato/prawn dish for start and fish stew and fried rice for main - all of the dishes were unique and delicious! It would be great to go back in the evening as the cocktail menu looks great, and I can imagine the atmostphere gets lively. The staff are friendly and attentive, and really seem to care that you're having a nice meal. All in all, we loved it and will definitely be going back. Also great value if you have a taste card! (book in advance)

4  Thank LJ9169
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I went to this restaurant the staff they were friendly but the MANAGER was very very bad and not really friendly with the costumer also they say ALL PERUVIAN PEOPLE NEVER WANTS TO LEAVE A TIP . they didn't ask if it ok to leave a tip they just put straight to the bill .they should ask you were you pay so people have the choise to leave what they want too not to be force to pay we did want to give some but not to be force . the food was not as what we were expecting to be the start it was ok?? the main course was really poor it was serve in a big plate and small portion, the dessert was really nice but as well the picarones was nice but the portion was really like snack for kids too small ring.
i was really sad becouse I took some friends there to they can try the food after what they say to my friend.

1  Thank kackari