“Enormous portions and very interesting cakes”
Review of Reindeer Cafe

Reindeer Cafe
Ranked #6,809 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Genuine authentic food on offer here for a quick bite to eat at lunchtime when shopping in Wing Yip supermarket. Some very interesting cakes on offer at the counter be sure to have a look. Warning, food portions are very big! Have some very good green teas available, far better than usually serviced in restaurants(perk of Wing Yip next door!) and also always excellent service very friendly.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have been coming to the Reindeer Cafe since it opened and have always been satisfied. I have to agree with Kilbracken with its authenticity. The food is cooked with "wok hei" giving that extra heat and flavour to the dish. No chinese food should be without this! The food has never failed and portions are generous. The place does get busy (a sign of how good it is!) and a queue could form, but once seated the food is served relatively quickly. The cakes and pastries are delicious too. I have eaten in many chinese restaurants in my time and the Reindeer Cafe is always there at the top of my list when it comes to chinese food. I have taken many of my friends to eat here and they have always wanted to return. The Reindeer will always have my custom.

1  Thank WA117
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We visited this busy cafe for a second time and felt that standards had slipped since our last visit. There was nobody front of house on a busy Sunday lunchtime and we observed three chinese lads breezing past the waiting queue, sitting down at a free table and then being given menus by a waitress . Do these places have any idea how irritating that is for waiting customers? The food was ok rather than good but came fairly quickly in the usual generous portions. Service was brisk rather than friendly . Not at all sure this an experience we will be repeating a third time .

1  Thank Phi01
Sunny L, Manager at Reindeer Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

I sincerely express my apologies for your appalling experience. As you are aware we are a very busy restaurant and sometimes these things are over looked. At the time of your visit, I believe we were a bit short of staff as some had taken leave. There is simply no excuse for your bad experience and I hope you will try us again on a third visit where we can have another chance to ensure it will be the beginning of a long customer relation. Sorry once again and thank you.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a close as you can get to Hong Kong cafe food in the UK without actually flying out there. The wonton noodles alone are worth the trip up the A5.

1  Thank Kilbracken
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our family decided to dine out at this Reindeer Cafe yesterday and were extremely disappointed. We have been to this Cafe before and the quality initially was not bad but we were totally let down yesterday. The food now is not only expensive but the quality and portions were pretty bad. Our half a roast duck were cuts from various parts of leftovers from other ducks. There were no legs portions nor proper breast portions at all on our half duck and when we asked the waitresss to take it back we were then told that it was half a duck by the person who cut it. This so called boney duck set us back £13. On top we also ordered Thai chicken which was a small dish of breast chicken with some Thai bottle chillie sauce poured over the chicken garnished with ground peanuts and mango. Anyone could make this dish themselves and it was so poor quality. This dish was £12. Overall we spent £74 and very annoyed that the food quality was so poor.

However we are also frequent diners at next door Wing Tai restaurant since it was first opened. The service and food quality has gone from strength to strength. The food portions are generous and the atmosphere is a lot better than the Cafe. As we have been to the Cafe before we thought we would go there again yesterday evening for a change but it turned out to be a pretty bad decision. After last night's visit to the Reindeer Cafe, we would never ever be going back there again and we do not recommend anyone going to dine there.
Try Wing Tai - you won't be disappointed. One would savour much better food plus the good service.

1  Thank Joe W

I would like to express my sincere apologies for your bad experience. I would like to ensure you that the prices we charge have taken into consideration the costs that are involved in producing the dish. Please be advised that our prices are competitive to that of Wing Tai, especially because we do not have service charge. Nevertheless, I am sincerely sorry for the bad experience you had. Please do not hesitate to look for me the next time you visit. Many thanks, Sunny Lee