“Not daily housekeeping, only 4/8 nights.”

Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City
Ranked #38 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 10/12-10/20 (8 nights). I booked and prepayed the stay looking for value, and liking the tripadvisor reviews. The room was clean and larger than many other London hotels. Housekeeping did not come on many days. I believe they came about 4/8 days, and not the last two. The towels dried quickly enough, but there were not extras. The bed was made when housekeeping came, but sheets not changed in the 8 days. To me, the overall housekeeping was substandard.

I thought the breakfast was fine; my wife did not like the quality of the food; her feeling was the same as another recent reviewer. However, there was yogurt, a variety of juices and milk, eggs (even I agree they weren't great), some form of meat, a variety of cereals and rolls. I avoided the hot foods. However, unless you are somewhat demanding, I thought that the breakfast was not bad.

The staff was quite friendly, but not really a concierge service. They were not generally very familiar with restaurants in the area, but they certainly tried to be helpful. We felt very safe.

I paid about 1200 pound/$1800 for advance payment for the 8 nights in Stratford. I thought it was a fair value, but quite a good value if the housekeeping had been better. I did not think Stratford was that far out of downtown London. About 25 mins/8-12 subway stops, which was fine to me. The shopping area was huge, but coming from the US, we weren't actually doing a lot of shopping.

Overall, this was a fine stay. We would probably stay there again. Even for the value, I could not call this one of the top hotels/deals in London.

3  Thank gemfos
Wayne A, General Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your review. The team and I are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay overall. When things do go wrong with a stay, our top priority is to ensure that our guests feel that the complaint is dealt with and that they are assured the concern raised will not happen again.

We are of course disappointed to learn that you felt the team required some additional concierge training – all of the team have gone through an induction into the Westfield area, which includes over 65 bars, restaurants and eateries (as well of course all of the shopping areas!) – we also have a dedicated concierge team on the ground floor which we share with the Holiday Inn. I will however review this induction and its content to ensure that we cover all areas to suitable standard.

I have spoken to our Executive Housekeeper regarding the cleaning of your suite during your stay. She is of course very concerned about the issues you raise. As I have shared on this site before, housekeeping do not service the suite over a weekend (Saturday and Sunday) unless a request is made, however it should absolutely be done every other day. We also should change the linen once a week, unless additional requests are made – when we will do it at no additional cost.

May I request that you contact me directly so that I can get all of the details regarding your stay and I will investigate this matter thoroughly to ensure this type of thing does not occur.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your review and we all hope to hear from you very soon.

Wayne Androliakos

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed at Staybridge Stratford, yes the staff are very courteous, the quality of the accommodation is high considering the price, however I feel the hotel is a little confused, it's not a full service hotel, or a serviced apartment, and I feel they are trying to be the best of both but both poorly. Breakfast was a disgrace, quite obvious that it had been prepared by Holiday Inn downstairs and delivered to staybridge at 0630, It's not hot not even warm, the eggs were awful, bacon tasted just of pure salt, and hash browns no taste at all, the cold options (excluding the cooked cold breakfast!!) were fortunately of a good standard. The room itself had a small kitchen area, no oven except a microwave, and only 2 rings. Okay this was fine for a 2 night stay, but definitely not for long term use, impossible to cook anything except fried foods or microwave meals really, no washing machine in the room but a laundry room is on site if you don’t mind washing your laundry in public!! The Holiday Inn is a far more suitable option for those seeking comforts and services, but guests who are looking to heat up the odd microwave meal in their room, that are willing to suffer the breakfast options, and are looking for a no frills budget accommodation Staybridge works fine.

Room Tip: Look at either the Holiday inn / Premier Inn or on a weekend Docklands/Canary Wharf Hotels are a muc...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our hotel. The team and I appreciate all feedback and constantly review it to ensure that we continue to deliver to guest expectations.
We are all of course delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the accommodations of a high standard.

I am sorry that you felt that the brand was a little confused about whether we were serviced apartment or hotel – We have always maintained that we are a hybrid of both of these offering all of the conveniences and services of a hotel, including gorgeous public area space, breakfast and generally a higher service level - with all the space, flexibility and freedom you get when staying with a serviced apartment. Most of our guests stay with us 7 nights or more, however we do have a few staying a year or more as well.

We were also very disappointed to read that you felt the kitchens were not equipped as well as you would have expected. We do indeed only have a 2 ring hob and the microwave is actually also a convection oven and grill Most of our guests are single business people working for project based companies who are away from home for long periods at a time and this option does seem to suit them very well. We totally accept that our Studios would not be suitable for a family staying away for longer periods however, we do have our One Bedroom Suites, which can also interconnect into a Studio which we offer for this type of business too.

Regarding breakfast, this does seem to be an area where our guests are split I suspect it is important to position our offering to ensure expectations are met. It is a complimentary offering and is absolutely never going to compete with a full service hotel breakfast – which would usually cost you around £15 in London. We offer 3 hot items a day, a huge continental selection and complimentary hot beverages throughout the day I can absolutely assure you and give you my word that the breakfast is NOT prepared by the Holiday Inn downstairs, it is prepared daily and cooked fresh from our own kitchen adjacent to the breakfast room – I am happy to introduce you to our Food and Beverage team the next time you visit us.

From your review and your comment regarding stating ‘The Holiday Inn is a far more suitable option for those seeking comforts and services’ I suspect that you were not staying 7 nights or more, as I am absolutely confident, had you been a long stay guest, you would find that the Staybridge Studio suite with its own kitchen, a laundry room offering complimentary washing facilities and our complimentary breakfast would have been far more preferential than a Holiday Inn bedroom, a chargeable breakfast and no option to do your laundry, other than to send it out for the hotel dry cleaning service.

My F&B team have however taken on board your comments regarding the hot breakfast options and we will be trying to source a better selection of products and also begin to offer a range more suitable for those cold winter mornings we have to look forward to.

Wayne Androliakos

Reviewed October 26, 2012

If it's shops you're after, you could hardly do better than this - it's right at the heart of the Westfield in Stratford, which is evidently the biggest shopping center in Europe. It's also reasonably convenient for central London - 20 minutes by tube from Westminster, though I think it's a bit more than the 200 yards from Stratford station that they claim in their publicity. And when you get to the Westfield, it's easy to miss it first time as the only signs at ground level are transparent images on a glass frontage.
Inside, it's bright and new, though you have to go up to level 12 for reception and then back down again for your accommodations. The kitchen was well equipped and the furnishings comfortable, with a bath tub that's actually big enough to stretch out in. The whole place is built around the marketing concept that this is your 'home' for your stay, and that is reflected in the way breakfast is made available - a little chaotic the way the different tables with food are laid out, and with staff more obsessed with clearing up than doing much in the way of help or service (I left my table momentarily to get a coffee and by the time I returned all the rest of my food had been cleared away, which meant I had to start again). Overall the staff (reception especially) are pleasantly friendly, though the nightly manager's reception was an embarrassing experience - it's billed as free drinks etc to unwind and get to know the other guests, most of whom (predictably) aren't really interested in this sort of artificial conversation and are only there for the drinks (which were fine).
Overall then, good accommodations, but I'm not sure that the 'homely' ethos really works in any different a way than a regular hotel.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Staybridge Suites is an outpost of a well known American brand. The concept is all American too, with big rooms with a kitchenette and no hotel restaurant or bar but food and drink to buy at reception. Therefore it’s not the place for a posh dinner, but for a great room at a great price and whatever you choose to eat, it’s a really good deal. Room service food IS available 24/7 though.

I should mention that the hotel is about 50 yards from the food court at Stratford City - Westfield, so you have great food from all around the Globe right on your doorstep. Why should they bother with a restaurant in the hotel ?!

Being next to Westfield is a big plus and the hotel is less than 100 yards walk from Stratford station which has so many connections into London I couldn't list them. Suffice it to say that it is three stops and 10 minutes into Liverpool Street in the City so it’s very convenient.

Add to that a towering location with views over the Olympic Park, Canary Wharf and most of London, then the location is pretty amazing. All rooms are on the 10th floor or higher.

The rates are very reasonable when there is no big event on, and quite often this hotel appears as one of those "no name" hotels on Lastminute and Expedia.

Every hotel should provide as a minimum a great shower, a great bed and a great breakfast. The plumbing here is of the rain forest deluge variety, the beds are brand new and comfy and the buffet breakfast is always part of the deal and is set in a lovely room with sweeping views over London. Nuff said.

Try it while it’s still new and shiny !!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but try and get one overlooking the Olympic park side for best views.
2  Thank Somersetpubspy
Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you are visiting London and want a great hotel close to the city, close to shopping center, with great staff, large rooms and excellent value for money then this is the hotel to stay at. As you will find prices for any reasonable hotel accomodation in London are outrageous and finding this hotel was finding a gem. They even have a laundry room which is free (bring your own soap or buy tablets for 1 pound) and some nights in the week the hotel manager invites for free cocktails.

4  Thank Armando A
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Smart and clean with charming staff, the Staybridge Suites are an excellent place to stay when in London. Originally I was looking for somewhere closer to the centre of London, but with prices still inflated after the Olympics, Staybridge proved to be excellent value. We had asked for a room with a view, and they didn't disappoint, our room looked directly over the Olympic stadium and swimming arena.

Coming from Stanstead airport we got directly to the hotel via a train from the airport, and three stops on the central line from Liverpool Street Station. A couple of minutes walk and we were there. The close proximity of the tube meant we could be in central London in half an hour, so despite not being in the centre we found it most convenient.

Our room was well appointed with a small kitchen and a most comfortable bed. Everything was very clean and well looked after. The kitchen was ideal for our purposes, the only thing really missing was a place to sit and eat.

The free wifi is a bit slow and you have to pay extra for fast access, but it was ok.

We found the buffet style breakfast to be nice, with a wide variety of cereals, breads, fruit and some hot selections too.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the Olympic park.
3  Thank CHGill
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here for a one night mini-break for leisure.
I believe the hotel is almost brand new and the entire place was immaculate.
I enjoyed the reception on the 12th floor and the lobby area up there as well. The balcony was another nice touch with views of the Olympic stadium.
The included buffet-style breakfast was very nice with a good selection.
The room was very modern with a small kitchen which came in handy when I needed to re-heat my lunch that I had bought from the Westfield mall downstairs.
I particularly enjoyed the apple TV. The room was spotless, ultra-modern, quiet and the bed was very comfortable.

The highlight I must say was the welcome at reception. The staff member was very welcome and genuine and I have never received such a warm welcome from any other hotel. He also remembered my name at check-out which was a nice touch.

Location-wise this hotel is smack bang in the middle of Westfield shopping centre which was very convenient as we visited the casino there during out stay, which is directly opposite the hotel.

This is a fantastic hotel and I hope I get the chance to stay here again!

3  Thank benjamin_brown85