“False advertising would be an understatement.”
Review of Swinton Hotel

Swinton Hotel
Ranked #914 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I booked 2 double rooms for a short weekend stay in London for my 21st birthday. We used booking.com the week before in the hope that we would get a cheap deal. The price was pleasing when we looked on their website and saw the clean foyer, minimalist decor and pretty front steps. It looked like we had a great deal. Card details were taken incase we didn't show or we didn't cancel in time but there was no booking fee, just pay when you arrive. However as we walked down Swinton Street looking out for the same picturesque front door on the website, we were all bitterly disappointed to arrive at a cramped terrace building with an old sign against the railings.

We walked inside hesitantly, to be greeted by a sweaty, miserable looking receptionist who spoke little English. Whilst my dad and boyfriend attempted to pay, my mum and I stood in the foyer which was NOTHING like the picture on the website. It was drab and the leather sofas were worn out and old. It was only the fact that one of the cards was declined that prompted my dad to ask if we could see our rooms first. The receptionist was quite happy for us to all go upstairs with our luggage and see our rooms whilst he waited in his little window.

We all crammed in the old fashioned smelly lift up to the second floor. As the doors clattered open again, we stepped out onto a narrow corridor with uneven floor and looked for our rooms. My parents went into theirs first and immediately commented on the smell. Our room was just as bad. The bathroom was crammed in behind the room door so at first I wasn't even sure we had an en suite. There were no tea and coffee making facilities in my room and I didn't notice a tv either. The beds were well made and the sheets looked clean but the smell and cleanliness of the room itself, was enough to make us all feel grubby and eager to get out. Again, the rooms could not be more opposite than what the website showed!

We decided almost immediately to leave but spent an extra 5/10 minutes looking frantically on our phones for nearby hotels that had vacancies. When we arrived back at the receptionists window my dad explained that the rooms were not what was advertised on the website and we were not happy to pay £89 for each of them. The receptionist then rudely replied 'and it took you 20 minutes to decide that?' then questioned if we had touched anything in the rooms which I was very quick to reply NO WAY. When we booked, we were told that if we didn't show up, or if we didn't cancel then we would still be charged. As we left we were not told that we would still be charged and assumed we wouldn't be, as we showed up and then left because we were unhappy with the rooms.

HOWEVER, the following day my boyfriend received an email from booking.com saying that because we were a 'no show' we would be required to pay the full amount still. It looks so far as if booking.com will take no responsibility for the problems.

Overall my advice would be not to book a hotel on booking.com and don't always take the cheap option thinking its a good deal. Its cheap for a reason!!

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank brkench

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a triple room with my mum and sister for two nights. 7 min walk from kings cross station. Was £124 a night for the room so worked out fairly cheap. 3 single beds, all clean, flat screen TV, kettle, biscuits, hairdryer. Bathroom was grubby and old but still cleanish. Staff really friendly, breakfast included in the price and was fine, cereals, toast, ham, cheese. We were in the basement front room so could not leave windows open as there were steps outside from street level to the windows without a locked gate or grills over the window so anyone could have jumped in. That was a real shame as it was a very hot weekend and so hot in the room. Asked for a fan but they didn't have any. Impossible to get dry in the tiny bathroom as no extractor fan so just so hot and damp. Probably won't stay again as for a little more the comfort inn a couple of streets closer to the station was a lot newer

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel to be put into the smallest room with a single bed and a shower that literally was ontop of the toilet. After my first night I woke up to find I was covered in bed bug bites. On inspection there were no signs of any bugs anywhere and when I told reception he mearly said sorry and moved me to a different (bigger) room. Later another staff member came up to my room to tell me how deeply sorry he was and offered me a full refund on my accomidation. This staff member was extremely concerned and was very helpful with the whole situation, if it wasn't for him I would have left immediately.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is probably one of the most disgusting places I have stayed in for a long time.

Foolishly thought I would be doing myself a money saving favour by booking this hotel but certainly won't be making this mistake again..... The outside of the hotel is nice looking, typical terraced London back street within 10mins walking distance of Kings Cross. Once inside you are greeted with a warm sticky and smelly check in area, greeted without a smile from a sweaty check in assistant. It's so old school this hotel they don't even allow you to take your key with you when you leave for the day/evening.... abrubtly told to leave key on reception and show a card on return to obtain the room key.

I booked a single room for the night... the room was so small you literally had to walk sideways along the side of the bed, the carpet was dirty, the room smelt.... no air con but a measly noisy little fan situated up high on a very antiquated piece of scaffolding which I assume was meant to be storage/cupboard of some kind..... only 1 hanger in the room so god knows what they expect you to do if you are staying more than 1 night. The bathroom is so small i'm surprised they even managed to fit a shower in.... 1 towel which was probably the cleanest thing in the room!

Was given a 1 bedroom on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel overlooking Swinton Street, this road gets incredibly noisy at all times of the day, hardly got any sleep because of the street noise.

The room and whole hotel seriously needs a face lift and a freshen up.... won't be staying here again even if the rates are dirt cheap! (no pun intended!)

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Only stayed one night but couldn't wait to leave. I was going to complain in the morning but the queue of people complaining was too long. I also didn't risk the breakfast as I had lost my appetite after spending a night in one of their rooms. The toilet was broken and filthy, sink taps were rusty and filthy, shower was mouldy and filthy, the draw fronts on the chest of draws in the bedroom were hanging off, bedside lights were working but not actually attached to the wall they were just swinging by the wires. I kept finding long black hairs everywhere I looked including the bowl that held the tea, coffee and biscuits. The whole place stank, was very dirty and was in need of maintaining. I have stayed in a lot of hotels including some real dives in Eastern Europe and although they were basic none of them were as dirty as the Swinton. It was expensive and there is no excuse for the filth or the lack of maintenance work!!! It's another case of London Greed, the owners know that they will sell out the rooms regularly when there's events happening in London so they are happy to charge top money and spend nothing on basic repairs or even cleaning. I was aware that The Swinton was only a 2 star hotel but I expected cleanliness and a fully functioning toilet and wash facilities. I think the inspectors should take a closer look, DISGUSTING....

Room Tip: I stayed at the top of the building so avoid. Maybe the rooms on lower floors are better. Maybe the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jw-soton
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel staff were very helpful, breakfast was good and the location is great, very close to king's cross station. In the morning I left my purse in the breakfast room and was happy to find that a member of staff had kept it safe for me. The bedroom was quite small but the shower was new and clean and the room had a hairdryer and tea and an assortment of biscuits. The breakfast room was lovely and the staff were very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Having just endured a 4 night stay at this hotel, please read all the BAD reviews because they are all correct. If there are good reviews, please believe me because they must have been written by either the staff or the Blind. Our room was not cleaned Sunday and Monday, the room, shower, walls carpet are absolutely FILTHY. TV bracket hanging off the wall, mouse/rat poison under the wardrobe, dirt stains running down the walls. I know the rooms are small,and the shower is even smaller but there isno excuse for the filth. If it had it been the Wimbledon finals weekend we would have run a mile. I have all the photos to back this up aswell. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• Stayed: July 2013