“Not really a bad thing to say about The Portland.”

Grange Portland Hotel
Ranked #602 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I always like to add something new to the reviews for hotels but the Portland seems to have all bases covered in previous reviews.

So in essence....

Pro's - Big bedroom (room 101), large comfy bed, very airy, very quiet, nice clean bathroom and a good sleep was had after a 4 mile night walk to settle down.

Cons - I asked for an iron and ironing board and had to chase it down an hour later, breakfast is in the next door building which is nice if its sunny but there is the potential for getting wet in a downpour as there are no interconnecting doors to the building. I cannot believe in this day and age that hotels still charge for wifi. £10.00 for 24 hour access.

The staff were friendly, the breakfast was plentiful and well presented and all in all a pleasant stay was had. I would return...if wifi was free!!!!

Room Tip: I was in room 101, it was large and spacious and the bed was large and comfy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mj2000uk

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden, which was very nice. The room itself was very large, with a desk and chair, 2 other chairs and an occasional table and a sofa with a coffee table - so it felt really well appointed. The decor is traditional but this seems to add to the charm. I was asked to submit my credit card for "extras and incidents", when I asked what incidents could mean I was not given a satisfactory answer - so declined. This was the only quibble I had as the hotel is very nice and close to the British Museum, the tube and other attractions. Breakfast is partly self service, with the cooked element made to order - very nice. I asked for an extra pot of coffee and this was provided very quickly.

Room Tip: the hotel is full of twists, turns and corridors and can be confusing. Ask for something at the back...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank monkeyHartlepool
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I booked this hotel at the relatively last minute to see a friend swim in the Olympics, and was truly charmed! It is part of a complex of hotels in a block of rowhouses, part of the Grange Hotel network. I was amazed to book this place two weeks before the Olympics at a very reasonable price, given London prices. I worried -- will this place be a dump?

I was VERY pleased. The location can't be beat -- a safe neighborhood, a half-block from lovely Russell Square, and a five-minute walk from a Tube station on the Piccadilly line. The rooms are well appointed and spotlessly clean, if quite small (at least my single in the basement was). But this is London; rooms are much like in New York. Service was terrific and helpful; any problems I had were quickly addressed. Breakfast is available in the next, adjoining hotel and is quite good. (I paid extra -- worth it for the range of options and convenience.)

My only complaint? Charging 20 pounds for a full day's access to wifi is exorbitant.

But that is it. I fell in love with London, and if I return (which I hope to), I would probably stay here. It was a charming place!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Douglas D
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Great London Hotel in a perfect location for a weekend break to the city. Just a couple of minutes walk from Bloomsbury Square (where there is secure parking for £30 per day/night). 10-15 minutes walk into the West End and Soho.
The room was large, the bed was very comfy and the bathroom recently refitted. It was a bit noisy with door banging in the morning but we were on the ground floor. And breakfast is in the hotel next door so take your umberella if it's raining!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeSG
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Room was large for central london. High ceilngs and bizzarly it also had a kitchen with even a microwave so no need to go out. Staff were a bit stand offish but met our needs with no problems. Felt very secure but more B&B than hotel. Only down side was you have to walk 50 yards to sister hotel down the road for breakfast which we didn't do 'cos it was raining.

Room Tip: Room was at the front and was a bit noisy but very big and well equipped. Lots of doors to go throug...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ess-Aitch
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I booked two nights at The Portland via Hotels.com recently because I love Bloomsbury and because I have stayed at one of the other hotels in this chain before - and I'd enjoyed that experience. The Portland matched my earlier experiences. Located on Bedford Place, between the British Museum and Southampton Row, the Portland is a clean, well-kept and friendly hotel. My room, ostensibly a single, included a kind of kitchenette in a cupboard as well as a lovely large sash-window which loooked out over the gardens behind the hotel. I paid £192 for 2 nights without breakfast but, as usual in London, I didn't want breakfast anyway. I will definitely stay there again and would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to "do" the West End, Covent Garden and Soho - the location is perfect.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JoeCampbell
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Comfortable and clean room, classically & tastefully decorated. Friendly & helpful staff. Very pleasant neighbourhood and very conveniently positioned for many sights & public transport. Continental breakfast generous & perfectly adequate. I would recommend the group of hotels and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple