“So close to the Natural History Museum you can almost smell it.”
Review of 54 Boutique Hotel

54 Boutique Hotel
Ranked #515 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Your experience of London is dictated very heavily by the neighbourhood in which you choose to stay.

The 54 is across the road from the Natural History Museum and therefore only a block away from the V&A. It is an easy walk to Gloucester Road tube, which, being on the Piccadily Line, is your access to all of London, including Heathrow.

The hotel itself is small. The rooms are small and the number of rooms is small. There are plenty of big hotels around if that is your thing.

Our room, #3, was downstairs and without a view, but the bed was comfortable and the shower hot. The bar is quiet and allows for reading and contemplation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2013

A friend and I stayed at 54 Boutique Hotel for 3 nights in April for a "girls' weekend". We loved our stay at 54 and will come back next time! Location: We found the location to be perfect- extremely close to the South Kensington and Gloucester Road tube stations, just down the street from the Victoria and Albert Museum, Natural History Museum, Harrods, and a really cute neighborhood with great cafes, restaurants and shops. Hotel: The hotel is very tastefully designed, with a blend of the original architecture and modern comfort and furnishings. The bed and linens were super comfy and the bathroom was well designed and immaculate. Staff: the best part of the hotel was the staff. Genarro, Georges and Paolo were all extremely kind, helpful and friendly. They went out of their way to help us find restaurants, transportation info, and basically make our stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel felt very welcoming because of these people. My ONLY suggestion would be to work on the breakfast- the croissants, yogurts and cereals could have been better. However, this was minor point since we were surrounded by wonderful cafes and had plenty of options just around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here many years ago. I was in London for the first time. Initially I had a dorm-size single room, but later was upgraded to a great room overlooking the carriage houses (Queen's Gate Mews) behind the property (lovely). I was in London alone and pregnant (still experiencing morning sickness, lol), a stop over on my way to see family in Manchester, and the staff was so friendly and helpful. Great sights in walking distance. So close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Across the street from the Natural History Museum. Quick bus to Piccadilly. Amazing food and things to do in walking distance. Also, just around the corner I picked up a bus for my day trip to Stonehenge and Bath. Loved my stay and hope to go back again soon!

Room Tip: Actually traveled in June 2007, but not an option here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Me and my husband spent 3 lovely days in London after our wedding as part of our honeymoon. We stayed at this lovely hotel, staff were great, very friendly and helpful. The accommodation was clean and very comfortable and beautifully warm (which was a plus as London was blooming freezing) The hotel is in a great location just a few minutes from Gloucester Road tube station, next time we are down in London, I'll be booking this place!

Room Tip: Go for an executive double, we stayed in room 8 which was lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at 54 Boutique. After 10 days in Ireland, we ended our trip in London, which might be one of my favorite cities. 54 Boutique contributed to that. While staying there, I felt as if I was just someone who lived in one of those beautiful townhouse apartment buildings. We were in room 15 or 16, so on the 2nd or 3rd floor (lots of half staircases). The room was very clean and modern. I've never been to London before, so I don't know if the room was particularly small or not, but for us, it was just perfect. It had all the necessary amenities, plus a huge window with a lovely view. The window actually opened, which was great! The staff was friendly, but I hardly interacted with them as I was still rolling with the "this is just my apartment, I live in London" vibe the whole time I stayed there.

The hotel was super close to some great restaurants (we walked to Hache burgers, mmm), museums, grocery shops, Harrods, etc and just a skip away from the tube. There were a few bars in the area, and it still felt very safe to walk home to the hotel at night. I definitely recommend staying here, especially if you're a more independent traveler and you want to feel like you're really part of a neighborhood.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tara D
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel. In a word great! its like a home from home. Unlike most London hotels its small and homely and the staff are all great. they are all happy to take time to help advise and chat. No restaurant but with the choice of food outlets in the area i can see why. i had a great stay with a nice room great comfortable bed and nice continental breakfast. i highly reccomend this place to anyone wanting a quiet place in central London. I stayed for business bt will return as a tourist as it couldnt be closer to londons top attractions. had a great time thanks

Room Tip: book direct on the hotel website for best deal.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at 54 Boutique Hotel for 3 nights in a Deluxe room. I had an early bird rate on their own web site. The hotel is really a big town house nested in a middle of other big town houses, so it is impossible to find with no address, which may be why they called it "54" Boutique Hotel to make it easy to remember why street number the hotel is located at.

The staff in the evening is efficient and very friendly, and I was very pleased at first. Now that quickly changed when I discovered that my room was on the fourth floor, and the elevator only goes to the third floor with a steep staircase. I had some trouble getting my suitcase into my room. The staff told me that it may be trouble, but he did not try to help in anyway.

The room was not very roomy for a Deluxe room, but it had just enough space for me. The room was modern yet looked comfy. I found the bathroom small, why only a shower, but no deal breaker here. However, the shower does not drain correctly, and I have to stop showering after 5 minutes to avoid water from flooding the bathroom floor. I told the staff twice about it (2 different days) and it was not fixed. The staff in the morning was clearly clue-less, and started asking me about checking out while I was complaining about the shower drain.

The room was fairly quiet because there was no noise from the street. Alas, it is not always quiet with neighbors arguing late at night or having sex another night. Cross-room noise insulation must have been paper-thin.

I still give it 4 stars because even with the problems I had, the location makes it a pretty good choice for London.

Room Tip: The Deluxe is not that big, so I would expect the single one to be tiny.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business