“Excellent Value and great location”
Review of 54 Boutique Hotel

54 Boutique Hotel
Ranked #444 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value and great location”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked our room through an offer on there site, we wasn't expecting much because of the price. We where pleasantly surprised the rooms was spacious and very clean. Luxury beds and bedding , the complimentary bottle of champagne was a nice touch to. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay just wish we could have stayed longer , the staff where very polite and made us very welcome :)

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Stuey1985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I chose this hotel as I usually prefer the individuality of boutique hotels compared to large chain hotels. The website is impressive and prices were reasonable for its Kensington location.
Please consider if the following are expected in a deluxe room.
1) dark, depressing furnishings
2) deluxe double with balcony translates to ensuite broom cupboard and terrace complete with cigarette butts and a complete lack of outdoor furniture.
3) grubby carpets with staining of mammoth proportions.
4) an ensuite complete with cracked tiles to the wall and floor.
5) the list goes on
I asked at reception to see another room and was dutifully taken to the fourth floor (walking 2 flights) and was shown room 28...this was a marginally larger broom cupboard with familiar grubbiness of room 8...I declined . Whilst en route to the large broom cupboard, the stairs were stacked with boxes of stationery!
I have stayed in many hotels all over London and the world and have never had the misfortune to check out before I checked in. After complaining, I was offered a discounted rate... To be honest, if it had been free I wouldn't have stayed, that's how bad it was.
After appealing to the manager's better nature (non existent) I had to forfeit the charge for one night.
A hideous place.

Stayed July 2012
4 Thank wearytraveller223
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The location of the hotel was excellent for the tube - Piccadilly line - which meant easy access to the West End and Hyde Park.
The hotel looks pretty good from the outside, however when you enter you can't help but think the owners could do more to make it a bit more inviting. The bar area was pretty basic and the reception was was just a counter cut out of a wall. The decor and atmosphere was not very welcoming however the staff on duty were great and very friendly.
The room was very small for a double but had the expected facilities.
Small gripes would be the squeaky floor, shower that couldn't decide if it was hot or cold and a minibar that wasn't cold....
On the plus side the the bed was very comfortable, which, letsbface it, is what you need after busy day in the capital.
I would stay here again - the location really did suit our needs. It was clean and unpretentious... however I would not pay the full price - £250 for a double... So shop around for the best deals.

Room Tip: Avoid room no. 18 - although it's at the back and quiet, it is very small
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andrewdugdale
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Location was fine. we were in room 22 on the 3rd floor, elevator only goes up to second floor. We had two large suitcases, which they carried up for us. There was a minimal breakfast, small bar area with no atmosphere, and a few blocks to the nearest restaurant and undeground station. When we left for Heathrow, the guy at the desk said it would be a fixed fee of L45, as we were on our way, the driver said fixed rate of L50. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rickpsu
54manager, Manager at 54 Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your trip advisor review. I always take note of what our customers say in order to better the service at the hotel. Just to comment on your notes I know we have limited lift service but being a georgean town house we were unable to get a lift built to all floors as structurally this was not possible. I am happy to see the staff helped with bags as that is always offered when checking into a high floor. The breakfast as advertised is continental and for London I can assure you it is a good quality breakfast. I can only apologise for the taxi issue. I can confirm that it should have cost £45. I have spoken to the taxi company we use and I have been promised that this will not occur again. If you could email me your details I can arrange for the £5 difference to be refunded to you. I am sorry if your stay was less than perfect and I do hope this hasn't put you off completely.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel because it is very close to Albert Hall. Hotel itself has very few rooms and standard rooms are very small but nicely decorated. Staff was very friendly. We stayed there for 2 night in standard room. But after one night our sink was blocked. Staff could not fix it, so we were uprated to a suite. Boys helped us to move our language.
Average, I had a good impression. it is truly 4 stars, not very luxuries but good quality hotel.
The only thing I would be critical about is hotel breakfast. It was a bit of a disaster. It is very limited and served in a small hall in front of the reception. Reception staff has to do both: reception job and breakfast. There is nearly nothing to eat and toaster was broken. Took us 10 min to understand which slot of toaster is working. My advise to hotel's owner, please pay attention. Nobody asking for Michelin stars. But nice toaster, coffee machine and fast porridge will make a huge differents!

Room Tip: Uprate to deluxe if you want bigger room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

An excellent hotel in a perfect location, with very welcoming staff, and just a beautiful hotel altogether. I stayed four nights in a single room that had good amenities and very comfortable bed & pillows. The staff were always very welcoming, friendly and helpful, often going out of their way to help. The location is amazing, being in South Kensington just 5 minutes from Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, with other attractions such as several museums, shopping streets, and the Royal Albert Hall close by. Overall a perfect little boutique hotel in London!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Great location to access the sites and nice and close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, Benny Hill lived on the same street!! We stayed for 5 nights recently in a deluxe room. Room was a good size, bathroom small but typical for London. Breakfast was very nice and staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple