“Grand cafe style with service to match”
Review of The Delaunay

The Delaunay
Reserve with OpenTable
The Delaunay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #376 of 23,697 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Very much in the European Grand Café tradition, the menus range from breakfasts, brunch on Saturdays & Sundays, all-day snacks, coffees, afternoon teas, sandwiches, platters of crustacea, ice-cream coupes, patisserie and cakes, and a full à la carte, with a daily changing plat du jour and an extensive selection of schnitzels and Wieners.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant on the south eastern edge of the theater district. The food contains the normal standard restaurant fare plus all sorts of dishes influenced by the Austro-Hungarian grand cafe style. All of the food was beautifully executed and the service was faultless.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,538)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had such a wonderful evening at the Delauney! The atmosphere is just amazing (very British) great Gatsby.. The food was delicious and service 5* and enjoyable! What a great time!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Delaunay has the same format as the Wolseley Piccadilly, the other restaurant in the group that we have tried. It's a grand, glitzy cafe offering breakfast, tea and an all day and evening a la carte menu which includes lighter options and some sandwiches. It's good value as the menu has a wide range of choices to suit everyone some of which are very reasonable. Four of us went for dinner and three of us really enjoyed the meal but my husband found his meal disappointing (with the exception of the dessert which he very much enjoyed!) . The char grilled calves liver, goujons of plaice and the Monday special of chicken curry were all very good. There is a decent wine list. The service was excellent and the staff were all helpful and efficient. It's a fun and very nice place to sit in and although we won't rush back we had a nice meal and evening.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I will never visit this restaurant again after an extremely worry experience when being presented the bill which was inflated by approximately 30%. Anyone can make a mistake here but what happened in this instance gives rise to profound suspicion. Most of the items added to the bill were drinks. When the waiter was told that the bill was incorrect he went away with no more than a perfunctory apology and a more senior waiter returned with a bill minus the items that had been added. However at no point was I asked what had been erroneously added to the bill - they obviously knew. When the new bill was presented it came with no apology merely something to the effect that he hoped I would be satisfied now. So far, so bad, then there was a great performance about my debit card not working - which was rubbish as I had been using it quite a lot before and after the meal. Finally the card was accepted and, again, no apology made. Draw your own conclusions what was going on here. I have most certainly drawn mine.
Meanwhile the food was average and the service throughout poor. I should have insisted on removal of the 12.5 per cent 'discretionary service' charge but was so frazzled by the end of the meal that I forgot.

4  Thank Stephen V
DelaunayRest, General Manager at The Delaunay, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I was very sorry to read your review and would like to follow up - please do contact me at info@thedelaunay.com at your earliest convenience.

Fergal Lee

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friend and I met at Delauney's for afternoon tea and had a lovely time. We spent over 3 hours there and left, not because we were asked to, although many evening meal diners had arrived, but because of existing evening commitments.

The staff were very helpful and attentive but definitely not over zealous. They seemed to arrive at the table at just the right time to bring water to refresh the tea and were happy to assist with any request.

Decor and surroundings are subject to personal taste but I found both to my liking and certainly felt that there was plenty of room between tables and between the staff areas and the dining tables.

The afternoon tea comprised 5 slim-line sandwiches per person with very tasty fillings, a selection of delicious sweet treats - cakes - and 2 fruit scones per person with jam and cream. Everything was delicious, fresh and surprisingly filling.

I would definitely go again and recommend the establishment to friends and family. May even try an evening meal next time.

Thank you for your delightful review of our Afternoon Tea - is it much appreciated.

Fergal Lee