“Elegant and rewarding dining experience in central London.”
Review of The Delaunay

The Delaunay
Reserve with OpenTable
The Delaunay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #355 of 22,842 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Very much in the European Grand Café tradition, the menus range from breakfasts, brunch on Saturdays & Sundays, all-day snacks, coffees, afternoon teas, sandwiches, platters of crustacea, ice-cream coupes, patisserie and cakes, and a full à la carte, with a daily changing plat du jour and an extensive selection of schnitzels and Wieners.
Toronto, Canada
“Elegant and rewarding dining experience in central London.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We went there for dessert after sushi elsewhere. It is large and open with a very elegant feel. Coat check at the door. Food and service were outstanding. Best desserts ever. My two mates have had mains there as well on a previous occasion. Rivals Woolsley and Zedel.

DelaunayRest, General Manager at The Delaunay, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed The Delaunay.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

• Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Interesting”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We tried The Delaunay based on multiple reviews and an interesting menu.

Upon our arrival, I was impressed that despite a busy night they were able to accomodate our party without reservations. It was a little late in the evening when we arrived, so I may attribute that to the muddled service we received. The staff was extremely nice but seemed a touch out of step regarding taking orders, bringing drinks and serving our meals. Two of us placed orders only to be told that the kitchen was out of that particular fish, which was fine. The odd thing is it happened with our second choices as well.

Once all of the food had arrived, we found the quality to be a little less than expected. Particularly at this price point. The fish was a tad overcooked, the chicken was undercooked and the vegetables were tasteless. During our entire business trip, sadly this was the only bad meal we had in London.

Based on it's popularity and great reviews, I can only assume we caught them on a bad night.

Visited October 2012
DelaunayRest, General Manager at The Delaunay, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback after your recent visit to The Delaunay.

I am sorry to read your review and I must apologise as this is certainly not the usual Delaunay standard that we strive to offer our customers.

I do hope that you will consider dining again at The Delaunay the next time you are visiting London and please email me on info@thedelaunay.com, if you decide to return.

London, United Kingdom
“A Viennese style Kaffeehaus in London”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'm a big fan of Viennese coffee houses one reason and one reason only, cake. So having learned very recently about Delaunay (quite randomly too as its other competitor The Wolseley is far more talked about) I made haste to visit. I went with my partner for dinner this past Friday night at the restaurant part of the Delaunay (there is also the counter) to take advantage of the all day menu that is ripe with Germanic style foods (Schnitzel and the like) as well as the dessert selection.

The entry experience was very pleasant, from the doorman opening the door for you to the reception staff that make sure your coats are put away in the cloakroom and the waiting staff can immediately sit you (if you have a booking that is). The décor is a mixture of Viennesse Kaffeehaus along with old British glam. The staff are pleasant and make sure your well attended too with the food arriving quite quickly.

We had a mixture of sausage and chicken shnitzel as our entrees with the star of the main course being the side order of potato latkes. These are very different from what I understand as latkes, they were essentially deep fried flaky balls of potato and while hard to eat in less than one bite they were delightful, salty and crispy. Highly recommend you get them!

Now for dessert! I had to have my absolute favourite dessert in the world, Sachertorte, while my partner had the Kinder. We order a couple of coffees to go along with the desserts. I found the sachertorte to be quite a different interpretation on the kind you get in Vienna, it was more cakey than a normal torte but it had the flavour down quite well.

My only complaint about the experience would be that my sachertorte didn't arrive with whipped creme, which is the absolute standard in Viennese Kaffeehauses. Other than that I would say it was a really scrumptious meal. Don't be deceived by the up-scale nature of this restaurant, the food there is nothing but more elaborately arranged comforting stodge food!

The price was reasonable despite a 2GBP cover charge per person. For two courses (main, dessert +coffee) we spent 33GBP per person. I imagine if you have alcohol that this sum will go up significantly (I believe their cheapest glass of wine is around 6 pounds).

While booking is best, especially since there are lots of west-end audiences stopping in, we did see people being seated without reservations. Try your luck if you are in the area, well worth it!

• Visited November 2012
High Peak, Derbyshire
“Excellent service a real find near the theatres”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We found the cafe here and it was a real find. The food was great, the service was excellent and the location was right next to the theatre were we going to

Visited November 2012
1 Thank HelenW017
DelaunayRest, General Manager at The Delaunay, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I am very pleased to read that you had a great experience at The Counter at The Delaunay.

I do hope that you enjoyed your visit to the theatre and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Dominika Mastalarz
Scotland, United Kingdom
“A perfect Sunday retreat”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Turning up at any decent restaurant in London sans reservation is not advised. Luckily our visit on a cold Sunday lunchtime was accommodated without fuss. A quick drink at the bar with like minded diners before being escorted to our table set he tone for an excellent and relaxed lunch. The grand room was surprisingly cosy and a wide range of casual diners and well dressed regulars made for a chilled out atmosphere. We went for the Sunday roast and a carafe of very decent French red. The meat was cooked exactly as required, medium rare, with an excellent Yorkshire pud. Service was attentive. Our only observation was that we were offered no bread and butter and perhaps the food could have been a little warmer. Neither spoilt our lunch or our intentions to return.

• Visited November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Delaunay.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal but I must apologise that you were not offered any bread and butter at the beginning of your meal as we do normally offer this to all of our customers.

I do hope that we will still be able to welcome you back again soon.