“Utterly disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Gresham Hotel

Gresham Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Gresham Hotel
Ranked #1,055 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Utterly disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2006

Maybe Im not the best person to be reviewing this hotel as I only lasted about 10 minutes in my room. It was small, dark and most of all very dirty. The bed and carpet were filthy with the shower a distinctly odd colour.

Its a shame because it look really good from the outside and is convenient to Paddingtom station but it is not a good option to spend any time here

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank trav!!ler30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2006

Saw the reviews on this web site and started to worry. Got there, checked in, 10 minutes later checked out. The three of us (on business) got put on the second floor, in rooms the size of a shoe box, a sink in the corner, a communal showers and toilets in the hall.
The shower rooms are filthy with more black mould than white tile on the walls.
The rooms were booked through "activehotels", who mucked up the booking. The hotel would not give a refund, so far neither will the booking agent.
Check your room before you pay. Payment is up-front, not on check out.
Threre are a couple of reviews of "The Gresham" here that do not match up to what I have written. There is a chain of Gresham Hotels. These reviews could possibly be for the wrong hotel

But be warned!!!

• Liked — Getting away from it!!
  • Disliked — Actually seeeing the inside of it!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Just don't go there!!
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank NigelKippax

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Near London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

We booked this hotel via activehotels(--) and really wish we'd checked TripAdvisor first. From the outside the hotel looks okay, but as soon as you step into the foyer, and your eyes take in the 1970s wood panelling and the built-in reception booth, you know it's going to be an experience. The chap on reception was very helpful and friendly, no complaints there, then he gave us the key - we were staying in the "annexe".

Once we had been let in through the security door, battled with the dodgy yale lock and narrowly avoided concussion from the massive keyfob, we could take in the splendour of our room: dirty carpets; curtains hanging off the rails; two windows - one of which had no catch or lock or anything, so anybody could just slide the window up and come on in. Not that they'd want to.

We paid £75 for the night, which included breakfast and "en suite". This was basically a cupboard with a loo, basin and shower cubicle, in a stunning shade of pale khaki, squeezed in. As it was so hot that weekend, I had four or five showers. Usually I would avoid a shower cubicle with a door that swings open every minute, a shower that doesn't actually stay in the holder on the wall and suspect looking black fungus-style patches in the corners. I wish I'd taken flip-flops as the whole room had the air of desperation, decay and dirt. As you can imagine, we avoided the breakfast and, judging from other reviews on here, that was a damn good descision!

Oh, and we couldn't get one station on the television - surely London should get good tv reception?

On a final note... I've been ill ever since I stayed there and have just found out that my symptons are similar to the NHS Direct description of Legionnaires' disease. That'll be from the shower, then. Luckily, boyfriend only had one shower. Wish I had...

• Liked — Friendly receptionist
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Spacevamp
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2006

Avoid this hotel at all costs. Venere booked me in here as an alternative to the nearby Naylands Hotel (which is very good value) which they overbooked. The Gresham was only a few doors up the street but it was worlds away at every level. Staff were pleasant enough given the circumstances, but the hotel was run down, dirty carpets, and everything had that awful sticky feeling like nothing is ever cleaned properly. I refused to stay there after having a look at the rooms and the rather shady clientele.Venere rep said on the phone she had stayed there and it was wonderful - dont be taken in. This place is dire. I feel ashamed such places are operating to the tourist market.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Rosie55Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2006

We arrived early to find that the room was not ready. So we were given the options for leaving bags behind bar, which was open for all to steal, or leave it in the room. We of cause choose the room. Even we were told the room was untied it did not prepare us for what we saw. It looks like it has just been badly decorated, huge amount of dusk on all surfaces, everything was on the floor and you can see the watermark running down the wall.
We later return to check-in properly and the new room were no better. We had a good time guessing what colour the carpet was because it looks so grey and the watermark in the bathroom and bedroom were so visible that you know if it rain in London it might also rain above your head.
The lesson is learned. I am not going to stay in another quick cheap wheel round renovated hotel no matter how cheap, the youth hostel cost under £15 and is a lot nicer.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2004

Small hotel- seemd ok at first but after checking in the lift was out of order. The stair carpets were absolutely covered in dark stains on each floor- really bad looking - have these people heard of shampoo/soap/Vanish??? Created a really bad impression before reaching your room. Rooms were small and walls thin. A plastic vending machine cup provided in the bathroom rather than a glass. Very cramped bathroom. Some simple but small touches would improve - shame they dont seem to be bothered. Breakfast in the basement was continental self serve -tea and coffee in flasks and was lukewarm - not worth a visit! Oh yes - bar area - very small - didnt have tonic water!!!!!

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2004

I should have smelled a rat! At £40 for a "basic" single room I should have known what to expect in central London.
I wouldn't have walked on the carpet in my room without my shoes on. The shower in the corridor nearest my room had what was like strobe lighting and there was no curtain. The cooked breakfast consisted of a choice of either beans or warmed tinned plum tomatoes, and cereal was Corn Flakes..or nothing! Quite a disgusting experience all in!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member