“Stay somewhere else in Bloomsbury - this hotel is manky!”
Review of Gresham Hotel

Gresham Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Gresham Hotel
Ranked #1,044 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We booked this hotel via activehotels(--) and really wish we'd checked TripAdvisor first. From the outside the hotel looks okay, but as soon as you step into the foyer, and your eyes take in the 1970s wood panelling and the built-in reception booth, you know it's going to be an experience. The chap on reception was very helpful and friendly, no complaints there, then he gave us the key - we were staying in the "annexe".

Once we had been let in through the security door, battled with the dodgy yale lock and narrowly avoided concussion from the massive keyfob, we could take in the splendour of our room: dirty carpets; curtains hanging off the rails; two windows - one of which had no catch or lock or anything, so anybody could just slide the window up and come on in. Not that they'd want to.

We paid £75 for the night, which included breakfast and "en suite". This was basically a cupboard with a loo, basin and shower cubicle, in a stunning shade of pale khaki, squeezed in. As it was so hot that weekend, I had four or five showers. Usually I would avoid a shower cubicle with a door that swings open every minute, a shower that doesn't actually stay in the holder on the wall and suspect looking black fungus-style patches in the corners. I wish I'd taken flip-flops as the whole room had the air of desperation, decay and dirt. As you can imagine, we avoided the breakfast and, judging from other reviews on here, that was a damn good descision!

Oh, and we couldn't get one station on the television - surely London should get good tv reception?

On a final note... I've been ill ever since I stayed there and have just found out that my symptons are similar to the NHS Direct description of Legionnaires' disease. That'll be from the shower, then. Luckily, boyfriend only had one shower. Wish I had...

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank Spacevamp

Reviewed May 28, 2006

Avoid this hotel at all costs. Venere booked me in here as an alternative to the nearby Naylands Hotel (which is very good value) which they overbooked. The Gresham was only a few doors up the street but it was worlds away at every level. Staff were pleasant enough given the circumstances, but the hotel was run down, dirty carpets, and everything had that awful sticky feeling like nothing is ever cleaned properly. I refused to stay there after having a look at the rooms and the rather shady clientele.Venere rep said on the phone she had stayed there and it was wonderful - dont be taken in. This place is dire. I feel ashamed such places are operating to the tourist market.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Rosie55Surrey
bournemouth
Reviewed March 5, 2006

We arrived early to find that the room was not ready. So we were given the options for leaving bags behind bar, which was open for all to steal, or leave it in the room. We of cause choose the room. Even we were told the room was untied it did not prepare us for what we saw. It looks like it has just been badly decorated, huge amount of dusk on all surfaces, everything was on the floor and you can see the watermark running down the wall.
We later return to check-in properly and the new room were no better. We had a good time guessing what colour the carpet was because it looks so grey and the watermark in the bathroom and bedroom were so visible that you know if it rain in London it might also rain above your head.
The lesson is learned. I am not going to stay in another quick cheap wheel round renovated hotel no matter how cheap, the youth hostel cost under £15 and is a lot nicer.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 4, 2004

Small hotel- seemd ok at first but after checking in the lift was out of order. The stair carpets were absolutely covered in dark stains on each floor- really bad looking - have these people heard of shampoo/soap/Vanish??? Created a really bad impression before reaching your room. Rooms were small and walls thin. A plastic vending machine cup provided in the bathroom rather than a glass. Very cramped bathroom. Some simple but small touches would improve - shame they dont seem to be bothered. Breakfast in the basement was continental self serve -tea and coffee in flasks and was lukewarm - not worth a visit! Oh yes - bar area - very small - didnt have tonic water!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled on business
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Scotland
Reviewed July 1, 2004

I should have smelled a rat! At £40 for a "basic" single room I should have known what to expect in central London.
I wouldn't have walked on the carpet in my room without my shoes on. The shower in the corridor nearest my room had what was like strobe lighting and there was no curtain. The cooked breakfast consisted of a choice of either beans or warmed tinned plum tomatoes, and cereal was Corn Flakes..or nothing! Quite a disgusting experience all in!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2004

I had the misfortune to stay in this terrible excuse for a hotel in June 2004. Everything was dirty or broken, the management unhelpful, and the ensuite facilities (for which I paid extra) amounted to a plastic cubicle in the corner of the room, complete with broken shower. The cost? £55 per night.

Just one month earlier I had paid the equivalent of £50 per night to stay in a four-star hotel in the centre of Madrid, with a double bed (in a single room), a spacious modern bathroom, a health spa, free minibar, and the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen.

With this in mind, London hotels are nothing short of a disgrace. One star for the Gresham is one more than it deserves. Stay away.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY, NY
Reviewed January 8, 2004

This hotel is, by far, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. First, we stayed on a floor which had three shared bathrooms for the floor. This would have been fine however one bathroom had no lock, the other bathroom had a light that did not work, and the third bathroom did not have a shower curtain and had so much mildew it was disgusting. Second, we found a blood stain on our bedsheet. Third, we found a cigarette butt under our bed, and we do not smoke. Finally, the staff is completely unhelpful and unpleasant. I really hurt my finger in a door there and when we went down to ask for ice they were extremely rude and sent us down the street. Before you book this hotel - note the cancellation policy - it is so strict it is ridiculous - that is clue #1 that this place is terrible because they know when you see the place you will try to leave as soon as possible!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member