“Good for the price”

Ranked #917 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good for the price”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Another Tube strike threatened - last time I had a four hour commute home. I needed a cheap room near to where I work in London.

£45 a night - I was really not looking forward to it but ,,,,,guess what? It was not bad at all! Tiny little single room with an en-suite, tea making facilities, fridge, TV, all shoe horned in. Nice touch was the little fan as the room was right at the top and could have been stuffy on a really hot day. Best point was, it was all spotlessly clean.

True, the breakfast was not great but I was happy enough to grab a couple of pieces of toast and a boiled egg. It was a bit noisy from 11 to midnight with door banging as people returned to their rooms. There was some street noise as my room faced the street, it is central London!!

I would definitely go for this place again if I just wanted somewhere to lay my head overnight.

Room Tip: SO long as you are fit and strong (no lift) ask for a room on a high floor. There is not much sound...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Main reason to visit this hotel is the location. Nice area, good walking distance to Paddington Train station.
The Hotel itself is average.
Positive: Quiet. Good location. Provides breakfast.
Negative: The smell at the reception as soon as you arrive. Key access for just one people, leaving it at the reception like in the old days. Overall willing to chat and interact from the staff.
Stairs: No elevator available.
Would I go back? Maybe, depending on the budget.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend while visiting London, the location is great quite central and near a tube station and the building itself is in a lovely area. The rooms are absolutely tiny but clean and fit for purpose (and price considering it's London) the only real downfall is the breakfast room which is a bit of a joke with just three tables, found it slightly uncomfortable eating when I queue of other parties and crammed in the doorway waiting for a seat looking at you awkwardly as if to hurry up. All in all fine for you pay for just very small rooms and poor breakfast facilities.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LCH1991
Northampton
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I am too stunned to even begin. A mouse ran across my bed under the wardrobe. Manager refused to believe me unless I could provide a picture. I run back upstairs with my iPhone and try to take a picture but as mice don't tend to make a habit of hanging around for a photo shoot it proved difficult. The manager proceeded to scream and explain that unless I could provide proof I was to stay in that room. I point blank refused. The room had 3 mouse traps on the floor, managers response 'that is not for mice it is for the cockroaches' oh .. Well that's reassuring! She finally gave in and gave me another room after accusing me of lying to essentially get 'an on suite room'. I have attached pictures of this 'nightmare in paddington'. Avoid like the plague... Unless you feel like catching it. I emailed the manager my training manual on customer service free of charge. I only hope she reads it and uses it!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank sam_pete
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

My partner asked for a ground floor room as I am disabled, there were 16 steps up to get into and out of the room. The room booked was a double! We got a small room with 2 single metal framed beds pushed together, the only way that they stayed together was the bottom sheet that we tucked in. Another sheet was left on the bed for us to put on ourselves, when we shook it out it had quite a large stain on it that looked like blood... Yuk. The bathroom was teeny tiny, we couldn't sit on the loo without our knees touching the sink, had to be a contortionist to use it, again not much use to someone who has a disability. The actual shower was lovely, it worked well and was nice and hot. The shower tray looked dirty around the plug area, nothing a bit of cillit bang wouldn't clean up, and the silicon around the base of the tray could do with refreshing. There were urine stains on the top of the toilet roll holder. Also, no plug in the very small sink.
To get to the breakfast room we had to go down from the room to the basement, more stairs, even as a continental breakfast the offerings were quite dire.
When we checked out, the man that checked us in was leaving before us and promptly shut the door in my face without a word, nice.
Needless to say we won't ever be staying there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Booked this a few months ago with my girlfriend, we are only 18 so on a bit of a budget, and we went to a budget hotel, although it should be classed as a B&B. Yes the place was very small, but we didn't pay a premium price so we weren't expecting the Hilton! Room was small, you couldn't swing a cat anywhere, bedroom or en suite.

We found the staff to be very polite, they would always put down the phone or whatever they were occupied with to help us which was nice.

HOWEVER!!!!! One week before we were due to check in, I noticed a big sum of money disappear from my bank account, I managed to track down this money to the BnB, they said they actually 'reserve' 1/3 of your money the week before to verify the bank account, which is fair enough but there was no e-mail or any form of communication to even remind me of this, I was obviously incredibly concerned when a lump sum disappears from my bank account like that, it's rare for me to even have that amount of money in the account, that could have gone much worse!

Another point is the breakfast, it is a simple small and cost effective continental breakfast included in the price, toast, butter, jam, boiled eggs and some cornflakes. You'll be lucky to get a table as the room was so small so you may prefer to bring your own breakfast or buy it out in London!

The showers are also quite noisy and like to pick the heat of the water themselves, even on the top heat setting they sometimes were freezing.

All in all, for our first holiday away together, it was a pretty decent BnB and we left with a smile :-) friendly staff, the room was just enough for 3 nights (we couldn't have lasted a week in there though)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is by far the worst I have EVER had the misfortune of staying in. The fact I have now sought medical and legal advice following my stay here should be enough of a deterrent, but I will explain why I have felt the need to resort to this.

I was allocated room 16, a standard single room with a shower, but shared toilet facilities. If you are allocated this room and are over 5’7, don’t even bother going up and demand to be re-allocated. The ceiling on entry to the room and in the shower area is considerably lower than the standard 6’6” – I am 5’11 and was having to duck considerably to enter the room and had to shower bent double, which has led to severe lower back pain. Worse still, the low ceiling is NOT pointed out in any Health and Safety notices on walls or doors, or mentioned in the sales literature.

Aside from the ceiling, the room itself is MINISCULE – it has clearly been an en-suite or possibly even a storage cupboard in a previous life. It must be no wider than 5ft, and no longer than 8ft. The room is equipped with a mini-fridge, despite a blanket ban on food and drink in the room. Said mini-fridge is positively antique and it overheated to a dangerous level within close proximity to the (incredibly dated) curtains. There’s a sign on it that asks you not to turn it off, but since I value my life I decided to unplug it and remove the risk of the room going up in flames. The window itself is ostensibly brand new, but took me 20+minutes to close due to it being so stiff. I would have just left it, but there was clearly a Wasps’ nest nearby – It is October, there shouldn’t be one Wasp in my hotel, never mind four! As I suffer from an allergy it was essential I removed them and closed my window.

I gave the hotel numerous chances to re-allocate my room over the course of my two night stay, given the serious safety issues surrounding room 16 and my staying there. I first asked at approximately 2.15pm on my first day, where I was told the hotel was “full” and “that’s the room you were given”. I asked again just before 10pm where I was told by a different member of staff that there WAS another room, but I’d have to pay extra to move as it was an “upgrade”. I made requests to be re-allocated again twice on my second day, and was again told to either pay or lump it. I brought up the ceiling height and my knowledge of Health and Safety law, only to be told by the manager that I am “not that tall” so it “shouldn’t be a problem” – I’m 5’11 and was clutching my Modelling portfolio! I immediately sought legal advice after that and have continued to do so.

On checking out, I gave the hotel the chance to refund me for my stay but was told they wouldn’t be prepared to do this. I was even asked “well why didn’t you just check out and leave?” in an incredulous tone by possibly the most incompetent manager I have ever come across. The reason, I told her, was that the hotel had made it clear they wouldn’t be refunding me and I was unable to afford to just book a second hotel room without being refunded for the one I would be leaving. I went about my business that day, knowing I would be returning to collect my luggage (which actually made it into the storage room this time, instead of being left in the corridor in full view like when I dropped it off a few hours before check in), only to find my back pain worsen and the arrival of migraine-type symptoms, likely caused by the repeated impact to my head from the ceiling.

In addition to the absolutely disgusting room, the breakfast was hideous. During the week, it's served between 7.30-9am. I turned up just after 8am to find no clean tables apart from a tiny one in the corner of their little terrace, the food was virtually all gone and the milk was starting to go warm. I left after half a bowl and went to Starbucks.

I have never felt so disgusted with a hotel before in my life. I have taken numerous photos and attached them to this review so you can see for yourselves exactly what a dive this place is. AVOID!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business