Edward House
$179
$157
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 2, 2008

If this room had only cost $40 a night this would have been worth it, but it didn't, it cost $90. I might as well have just slept at the airport. The room was the size of a sardine can, the bed was the size of a matchbox. The room was butted up against the train station so I heard them going all night, not to mention the paper thin walls which lead to hearing other noises.

The staff was rude and the breakfast area was just that - an area no bigger than a closet. The bathrooms were dirty - meaning wet toilet paper everywhere, uncleaned bowls, etc.

Even if you're backpacking you shouldn't have to deal with this. Stay at a hostel, it's cheaper and you'll probably have a better room than this. I can't think of one good reason to stay here. Even being close to the train station isn't a selling point because there are several other hotels in the area. Stay at one of those instead.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2008

The website says this hotel will "exceed your expectations" . . . well, I thought it might be bad, so it succeeded. It was exceedingly dirty, smelly and cramped, with poorer facilities than I expected. The numbers of cockroach traps in my room certainly exceeded my expectations, as did the shoddy decor and carpets, uneven floors, temperamental door locks and the very unappealing breakfast room. This place is about 20 years overdue a refurb and charging £80 a night is daylight robbery. My advice is don't do it - go anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Based on the information provided and pictures displayed on the Edward House Hotel website, we booked two nights 13/14th June 2008 for our holiday weekend in London for Trooping of the Colour.

The website boasts, and I quote....21 bright and spacious modern bedrooms with power showers, direct dial telephone complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, central heating, interactive colour televisions with Satellite Channels, radio channels...unquote.

After hauling our luggage up numerous flights of wonkey stairs to the top floor, we were dismayed, disappointed and upset to find the room allocated to us to be anything other than a bright and spacious modern bedroom. In fact it was quite the opposite, in that it was dark and dingy and sparsely fitted with furniture and for the life of us, we couldn't see the complimentary tea and coffee or any of the other advertised features.

If the advertised garb on a hotel website boasts 21 modern spacious bedrooms with etc etc, then we would expect that every room would be similar in appearance and be similarly equipped, whether it has ensuite facilities, or shared.

Our modern spacious bedroom, that wasn't spacious OR modern didnt have a toilet and the only toilet available for our use was down four flights down to the second floor.

On viewing the room and finding it unacceptable to our requirements, we decided that we would move on and find another hotel to stay. We therefore requested that we be refunded the two nights accomdation that we had paid when signing. Our attention was drawn to the hotel cancellation policy (which by the way has failed to download each time we have tried to access it on the internet) and the fact that we would forfeit one nights' accommdation. They offered to upgrade us to another room at no further charge, but on inspection we found the second room to be no better than the first room allocated, although it did have a shower shoved in over the toilet.

We then decided to forfeit one nights accommodation in favour of moving on to something more acceptable and asked for our second night to be refunded back into our bank account. We were told by the person in charge, that it couldn't be done till the following morning, however, we have checked our bank account, and it still hasn't been refunded.

The hotel porter told us that because we had booked a basic room, we couldn't expect the same facilities as in other rooms. However, I remind you again that advertising garb on the website boasts 21 bright and spacious modern bedrooms with .....etc etc

Fraudulent advertising doesn't make for good business.

Will we see our refund?

Signed....we two kiwis!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2007

If you are anything other than a student that is used to staying in squalid digs (which I once was), DO NOT stay here. My wife and I wanted a relatively cheap room for the night because we wanted to go and see a band in London and not have to try to get home really late at night.

We didn't go and see the band because once we had seen our room I immediately refused to stay there and asked for a refund (which I am still trying to secure from the manager). The room, an en suite, was a disgrace - and it wasn't even the cheapest!

By the way, I made the booking on the strength of the pictures of the rooms on the hotel website. The pictures on the site bear absolutely no resemblance to the actual rooms.

My thoughts turned to the idea of someone visiting this country on holiday who have booked to stay in this place for a number of days. What a terrible advert for London as a place to visit. Stay away.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank I_Am_The_Big_Man
Reviewed July 5, 2007

To be honest this place is OK if you are on a budget and only staying for one night however any longer an it may be worth considering. Every room is very small and people are crammed in like sardines, staff are not that friendly. What my partner an I found very strange was that considering there were 20+ rooms there were only 5 tables for breakfast in the morning???This was so odd, we went down stairs an it was packed an had to go back to our rooms until 15 minutes before it was due to finish. The shared toilet thing grossed me out a bit too as it stank of you know what - yuk! In general the whole place needs a clean, a lick of paint and a touch of of customer care.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple