See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I hesitated about a rating for this hotel because there is absolutely nothing fancy about it that makes it rate 4 dots, but it really is a good choice for the price. I had a single with an ensuite bathroom near the top of the hotel at the back. I happened to hit a heat wave in London, so the room was pretty warm, but I had a big window that opened onto the back which I could safely open at night since I was fairly high up. The stairs were an annoyance, but the extra effort meant that my room was safe and quiet. I never heard noise from other rooms, but people passing in the hall could be fairly loud, although since it is a small hotel, there aren't that many people. The bathroom was tiny, but had everything you need. As long as you aren't too violent a tooth brusher, which might land you in the shower, it works out fine. The mattress on the bed was a bit on the thin side, but I just put a blanket under the sheet and it was okay. The furnishings were not new by any means, but everything seemed nice and clean.
The staff were extremely helpful. I got to London early from a trans-Atlantic flight and was able to leave my luggage off long before check-in time. When I did check in, they carried my bags up to my room and then brought them down for me the day I left. They also ordered a taxi to take me to the train station. They helped me sort out the mysteries of the British phone system, since I had several calls I had to make and told me where to buy a phone card and how to use it.
Breakfast is a full cooked English breakfast, which is becoming a rarity in London hotels, with more of them switching over to continental breakfast.
This is definitely a very basic hotel, so if you want luxury. look elsewhere. But if you are interested in value and a convenient location (the Edgware Road tube stop is only about a 3-minute walk) , the Cecil Court should satisfy your needs.

Date of stay: May 2005
1  Thank Passenger27166
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I booked the hotel for onr night, as me and my girlfreind only planned on staying for the one night, and we didnt realy spend much time in their. We booked a standard room, but didnt realise there was no en suite bathroom...the bathroom was a shared facility 2 floors down. im not complaining, because it cost £45...in London! We decided to upgrade to the larger one for an extra £10, and the staff were really helpful and polite. Breakfast was included in that price, but my girlfreind has me on a diet, so didnt let me get any :(
The room was hot, but it did have an electric fan, and as i mention above, if you are just looking for a place to sleep, its a good one at a good price.
Some guy kept us awake thought, i think he was going for the world record in the 'Loudest Snoring' competition!
When i called to book the hotel, the guy gave me a £5 discount, which was very nice of him...id say go for this, as its good value, safe, good service, and not a doss hole! Try it!!!

Date of stay: June 2006
3  Thank emdee
Reviewed May 23, 2006

Had to go to England on a low-budget job for work and so, although I wasn't footing the bill, I had to find cheap accomodations that would still of course be comfortable for me. After extensive searching I found the Cecil Court Hotel (which is a 5 minute walk from Paddington Station and a 7 minute walk to the Marble Arch and 10 minute walk to famed shopping on Oxford Street). The location is excellent but touristy and so also tends to be expensive (food, conveniences, etc). However, the hotel itself (really a bed and breakfast) is quite pleasant. It's comfortable, relatively clean, the rooms are a good size, and the included English Breakfast is tasty.

On the down side, the mattress on the bed in my room was a little too soft and had developed a dip in the centre. Also, the shower curtain had a faint musty smell....Again though, I must emphasize that for this amount (50.00 Pounds/night) you're not going to get much better and still be in the centre-ish parts of London. For the price I think this bed and breakfast is a pretty good deal.

Date of stay: May 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank Guide26674
Reviewed December 6, 2004

I got myself a Single Ensuite, stayed for 2 nights during the start of winter. It was ok, but you might want to avoid it during summer since there's no air conditioning, only a heater. The toilet and shower room are together and it is quite small. In fact, very small. Probably not so suitable for football players~!! The service is good, friendly. The English Breakfast is ok, good enough but only until 9am. It is a good bed and breakfast hotel but without lifts. Careful with your "kilos"

Date of stay: November 2004
6  Thank n8210
Reviewed November 1, 2003

I stayed 4 nights in this hotel and everytime was greeted at the door (very safe) and given great recommendations. It is located near the Edgeware Rd. Tube stop and Praed street (full of resturants and shops).
However, the rooms definatly need to be redone. The wallpaper was coming off in my room and the carpet and bedsheets were old and dirty.

10  Thank Wookienurse