“Visit to friends”

Ranked #436 of 1,064 Hotels in London
LONDON
“Visit to friends”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were visiting friends in England and wanted somewhere central to get around. Unfortunately I fell a few days before I arrived and the lack of a lift made it very difficult for me to go up to my room. The staff and manager(ess) were very very helpful and saw to all our needs where necessary. I also found the price quite expensive considering breakfast was not included (though we were told on arrival that it was & to pick up a voucher for this before going in to the restaurant!).

I would recommend the hotel to younger people because of its location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Wiltshire
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night to save travelling back to Wiltshire after a concert at Koko.

First impressions very favourable, being located so close to Chalk Farm tube very helpful and, after being "buzzed" in to reception, a very friendly receptionist carrying out an efficient check in passing on all the necessary information.

I had a single room on the second floor which faced out onto the main Chalk Farm Road and above the Kebab shop that I had read about in earlier reviews. I encountered no problems with this, possibly because it was a midweek evening and possibly because I packed earplugs as previous experience has told me early morning noise from refuse collectors, store deliveries can be a problem in London. No problem here, I was woken by my mobile phone alarm at 7.30 as I wanted.

As well as the downstairs coffee lounge where breakfast is taken if purchased, the area is well served by restaurants and takeaways and, if all you want is a supermarket, there is a Sainsburys local and a spar within a few steps, with Morrisons a little further.

I walked from the hotel down to Mornington Crescent and back, took about 15 minutes each way, plenty of people about and at no point did I feel any safety worries.

Breakfast was an additional £6, in hindsight I would have bought what I wanted from the lounge direct as I only ended up eating scrambled egg on toast, plus tea, plus a glass of juice - I assume I could have had a "full english" for the money had I been so inclined.

The only slight gripe was with the pillows - being a single room I had no option to add to the 2 very thin pillows provided. Maybe I could have gone down to reception to get more but as I was tired when I got back to the hotel, I couldn't be bothered (getting too old to attend rock concerts clearly!!)

After checking out, I travelled into central London - a 12 minute journey to Tottenham Court Road for my Oxford Street retail therapy

I would have added photos but the site threw a wobbly when I tried

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nige9359
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Won tickets to the iTunes festival at the Roundhouse Camden. Checked nearby prices and they were £118 upwards double the price. Read the reviews on here and thought I made a mistake . I didn't ! Close to the tube , Roundhouse and the Market it was superb. Ok decor was a little dated but what do the people writing these reviews on here want blood? A room clean, quite and comfortable is the main criteria and that's exactly what we got! People reviewing this hotel are looking for problems not seeing the positives this hotel has to offer . Forget the previous reviews and book it you won't regret it.

• Stayed September 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a basic hotel, great location for Camden and its great atmosphere.
On the downside, there is no lift so climbing three flights of steps may challenge some. The room is clean but the bathroom was tiny and requires the flexibility of a contortionist to get in and use the shower.
Breakfast was good.
I'd stay here again if I was going to the area for a purpose (concert or something) but wouldn't go for a weekend away.

• Stayed September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel due to its location across the road from The Roundhouse where we were attending a gig. It is a 2 minute walk from Chalk Farm Tube station which itself is a 5 minute tube journey from Euston Station.

Checking in was fast and efficient and the staff were friendly and helpful. Our twin room was small and apart from the usual issues with marked carpets and walls was perfectly adequate. The bathroom with shower was modern and towels and shower gel / soap were provided. No wardrobe as such, just a bracket with some coat hangers and a vanity unit, plus a flat screen TV with free view. The beds were the most comfortable I've slept in at a hotel for some time.

Located across the road from The Roundhouse, there are loads of bars, pubs and eateries along the road leading all the way up to and beyond Camden Locks. There is a Sainsbury’s Local with ATM and a Morrison’s supermarket nearby too, plus of course the many market stalls and smaller shops. There is a coffee shop attached to the hotel which serves breakfast at £5 per person. We didn't try breakfast so can't comment either way.

To sum up, a good value hotel which we would definitely consider staying at again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Guernsey
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The main reason for booking the hotel was its proximity to The Roundhouse where my son and I were attending an iTunes Festival gig by The Killers. Was a bit wary when I saw it from the outside, but the light reception area with its modern furnishings was a pleasant surprise. Our room was on the top floor. The staircases could do with some upgrading, even painting in a brighter colour, maybe a picture or two. The room itself was perfectly adequate. The chest of drawers was very shabby, the wardrobe not brilliant, but the bedding was clean, the shower was modern and easy to use and bath sheets, not towels, were provided. We didn't have time for breakfast in the attached coffee shop, but from a quick glance it looked clean and welcoming. Another bonus is the close proximity of the Chalk Farm Tube station. Good value hotel for one rated three stars and better than quite a few I have stayed in in London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We spent 2 nights here for a girly birthday break. The whole place had been freshly decorated and upgraded since I was last here just over a year ago. Staff, especially, Susanna went out their way to be helpful when we discovered a last minute blip in our booking request (not hotel's fault)
The rooms were clean as a pin - We decided to rearange the furniture in ours so saw into every nook and cranny - not a thing to complain about. Bathroom spacious and shiny too. I've never seen such lovely thick and big bathtowels in a hotel before.
Breakfast was lovely - cooked to order and were happy to cater to our needs and not stick rigidly to the set menus. extra coffee provided too.
Location is excellent for Camden, access to the centre and this time we ventured up to Primrose Hill which is literally 5-10 minutes walk and we were able to find yet another side to Lonhdon with lovely bars and shops and do a bit of star spotting.
only downside is the pub accross the road was very noisy until 1am but it's not a major problem if you are on holiday and the music from it was quite good really!!. If you want to sleep earlier ask for a rooom not facing the pub - there are a few. All in all can't fault it, highly recommended and will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends