“Great home away from home on a budget”
Review of Boka Hotel

Boka Hotel
Ranked #759 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was in London for a couple of weeks and chose the Boka based on price and generally good reviewers here in TripAdvisor, and I'm very happy I did!
The staff are uniformly friendly and welcoming, which made me feel very comfortable and at-home during my stay.
The full breakfast isn't haute cuisine, but it's good and a great start to the day.
The wifi is limited, but if you're lucky enough to be in #006 as I was, your bed is right next to the router on the other side of the wall and wifi is no problem at all.
The breakfast room and small outside court are convenient places to sit if you want a break from your room, though I rarely did.
The room was very comfortable, with an included toilet and shower and kitchenette with fridge, sink, microwave kettle, and a minimal but adequate array of dishes, mugs, glasses and cutlery (I added a bowl to the collection, you're welcome ;). There's no table to eat at, but come on, everyone eats in bed watching telly in hotels, and the breakfast room is two steps away if you're feeling a need for table and chair.
The taps don't always match but everything works well and the water was hot and plentiful.

As a bonus, if you're traveling away from a cat and miss it, there are a few feline visitors who hang around the lobby and who are entirely happy to be petted for your pleasure. :D

All in all, I would very gladly stay at the Boka if I manage another trip to London.

Room Tip: #006 is in the basement; I liked it as it gave me wifi in my room due to proximity to the breakfast...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hello again, when I saw the room number in your review I remembered you immediately, I hope you had a good trip home and can I say what a pleasure it was to have you stay with us and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly.

The cats are adorable, Nimrod and Sashi belong to our neighbour but with it being a hotel and an open reception they wander in to sit with us at their will, as cats do as we all know and they love all the strokes they get from the customers.

I am also pleased you mentioned the basement room, so many people think basement as being a dark windowless cellar when in London they are more Lower Ground ( garden level) than basement with plenty of light .

We look forward to you visiting us again if you are in London.

There are newer reviews for Boka Hotel

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel is located in a very handy spot close to West Brompton underground and overground stations and near Earls Court underground.

When I arrived at the hotel I was surprised, it felt a bit run down and wasn't like any hotel I had stayed in before. The staff on duty when arrived was very polite and pleasant and showed me to my room.

The room was quite basic in its look. There was a bed and a kitchen area, a simple toilet and shower room and a television. Everything was clean and tidy and the towels were fresh. It didn't feel like a high quality room, but for the amazing price I was paying it was what you should expect; basic and simple. My only gripe was that the curtains didn't cover the whole window and that someone had left the sash windows wide open so when I arrived to check in, in the evening the room was chilly.

Breakfast was served by another lovely member of staff, again simple and basic but fresh and tasty.

I wouldn't recommend Boka as a hotel to stay at for any extended period of time, but as a pitstop for a night on a day or over night trip it did the job.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer, I am glad you found the hotel acceptable and found everything clean . You mention the curtains did not cover the window entirely, should you see this response please do email me and let me know the room number as all curtains were ordered to fit and if one doesn't then I would change it.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having read the reviews I wasn't expecting much. Having said that I was pleasantly surprised. The location is fantastic especially for events at Earls Court or Olympia.
I needed a room for 4 (1 adult and 3 children). This isn't often easy in London. We paid £130 for the room including breakfast. That's good value in my opinion.
The room was basic. The two single beds were on a mezzanine level (mattresses on the floor as there was not enough head room for an actual bed). Very cozy!
The room was clean and quiet and we all slept well. What else do you need from a hotel?
I will certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank docbonesBostonUK

Dear Reviewer , many thanks for your review, I am pleased we exceeded your expectations that is always good to hear and am also pleased you found the room to be clean and quiet, so many people find London too noisy for them.

Once again thank you for your review ,I hope you enjoyed your visit to London and we look forward to seeing you again .

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is 2 minutes walk from either Earl's Court or West Brompton tube station. It is also convenient to get there from Gatwick Airport, London. If you need to spend just a few nights in London using the hotel only for sleeping over then it is fair value for money. The room was small but clean; no bathmat nor hand towels were provided. Breakfast was adequate but could be varied sometimes as it was the same things being served every day.
There were many eating places around, including Tesco and other groceries. It had a lift which was very convenient for luggage and a kichenette with a fridge,microwave, kettle and supplies of coffee and tea.. On the other hand the lobby area was shabby; when I was there in September the dining area got a facelift so that was welcome. One of the guys at the reception desk bordered on rudeness and was very unwelcoming, although it could be he was not proficient in English. However they need to train their staff to make you feel welcome when you enter the hotel and offer assistance if necessary. It is after all part of the hospitality industry. If you are on a tight budget but still value your privacy then I would recommend it. However next time I,m in London I personally would not stay there as long as I could increase my budget.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in the basement.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Me and 15 friends just spent a night at this hotel as we were in London on a hen night. I would definitely recommend it if all you want is a clean comfortable bed for the night. The foyer was horrible and stank awful, however the rooms were spotless. The beds had pure white covers on which were immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. The kitchen area was clean although we didn't use anything and the bathroom was also very clean with plenty of very hot water. The dining room was clean and you couldn't grumble at the breakfast. The dining staff were polite and helpful. If you've ever been to Blackpool, then this is a palace compared to some of the places I've stopped in there! The only thing that would put me off returning here is the proximity of Central London. Although the taxi cost £20 which isn't bad shared between 4, it took ages and as usual the traffic was horrendous.

Room Tip: I stopped in room 108
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karen T
BokaLondon, General Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review , sorry you did not like the lobby but we are very happy you were pleased with the rooms, breakfast and staff.

Re your Taxi, Earls Court station is in the Central Zone 1, but Central London covers a vast area, personally I would always recommend taking the tube during the daytime as it is very quick i.e Earls Court to Leicester Square is around 11 minutes travelling, taxis during the day whilst good do tend to be expensive as they are on a meter and in London traffic that can add up.

Anyway once again thank you for the review and we hope you enjoyed your hen night and all the best for the wedding.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Centrally located less than 5 minute walk to both Earl's Court station and West Brompton station. Lots of nearby shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, grocery stores - 24 hour ones too. Few stops by tube away from Buckingham Palace area. room had a private bathroom and kitchenette, with friedge, utensils, microwave, stovetop for cooking and hot water kettle. 5 minute walk from Easybus stop to/from Gatwick airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
BokaLondon, Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest, many thanks for the review , we are very pleased you were happy with the hotel and hope you will visit us again some time.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived and it looked rather shabby and the guy at the front desk was very welcoming I have to say. Got taken to our room and well it was for two people yet we had a double bed and an extra single bed?

Positive is that it came with a kitchenette so was able to cook our own food. However if you are not big on cooking there is a high street no less than 5 mins away has most things..sainsburys, tesco, m&s and even a co-operative .

The bed rather lumpy and seemed like it was two single beds placed together? Not the comfiest! Also the boiler in our room was horrifyingly loud at night so was not able to sleep whatsoever!

Recommended if u have no place else to stay, but is cheap so I guess we cannot have it all.

Just because it was not right for me, hopefully it will be ok for you :-)

Enjoy

Room Tip: One that is n to close to the boiler and is not facing the earls court expo hall!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple