“Good value for £, excellent location, close to tube.”
Review of Boka Hotel

Boka Hotel
Ranked #748 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Interesting. Good value for money in London with an excellent breakfast (sausage, egg, toast). Rooms at the top of the building can be loud during the night if next to the hot water pipes or the stairs. Hotel reception staff welcoming and polite. The hotel is old and the room furniture some what quaint.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 2hotLondon

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Whilst the Boka Hotel is absolutely headed in the right direction, in some aspects it's work in progress. Let me explain:

If you are looking for decent comfortable room(s), clean comfortable bed, small kitchen area and clean bathroom, friendly staff (and breakfast too.) The Boka provides a great value for money base, adjacent to Earls Court and the Tube Station (all within two-three minutes walk).

On the flip side - the hotel is undergoing an upgrade and the work is clearly visible in places - i.e.in one stair area, the ceiling or wall panels are missing - whilst the upgrade work is in progress. (And I suspect because of the construction traffic) some of the external stair carpets are somewhat threadbare. But you can't rebuild without some mess - and if like most guests - you use the hotel to sleep and base yourself - it's not a great issue.

Overall - great room rates for London - and decent comfortable rooms. It's not the Savoy, Ritz or Hilton - and does not pretend to be.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CharlieEdinburgh
Reviewed April 5, 2012

First let me say that I don't take pleasure in saying negative things about a business but my recent experience at the Boka Hotel was so disappointing and upsetting that if I can stop anyone else from making the huge mistake I did by staying there, then so be it. I was hesitant about booking this place after reading the mixed reviews but other hotels had gotten even worse feedback so I took a chance that I really regret now. Due to problems with my flight, I arrived in London 4 hours late so it was 9 pm when I got to the Boka where I booked a room for one week. I had to take the elevator up to the 2nd floor and then walk down some stairs. Safety hazard #1: The stairs leading down to the room had no lights and at that time of night, it was of course very dark. Luckily I didn't fall down the stairs and break something like an arm or leg. I did see a sign on the wall the next morning saying the "wiring wasn't live yet". A lot of good that does if you arrive at night. The room was grim: shabby furnishings and not very clean. No hangers in the wardrobe, no dresser or shelves in the bathroom. But the worst part was the strong, foul smell in the bathroom like stagnant water and the toilet was visibly dirty. Safety hazard #2: The bathtub. The tub had nothing on the bottom to stop you from slipping - nothing at all. It was elevated so you were standing about six inches above the ground and trying to get in and out on a wet, slick service could be dangerous. There was no shower curtain or door so you also had to be careful not to slip on the wet floor. Safety hazard #3: The radiator and curtains. The radiator under the windows was on and there were two long curtains covering it. The beds were just a few inches from the curtains and I could feel the fabric was pretty warm. A potential fire hazard? Possibly unless those curtains are fireproof. There didn't seem to be a way to turn the radiator off so I just tried to keep the curtains pulled out and away from it as much as possible. In the morning I approached the man at reception (who was very busy leaning back in his chair doing absolutely nothing) to ask how often the rooms were cleaned. He responded "They are cleaned every day". When I told him about the dirty toilet he said "I have nothing to do with that. I don't speak to the maids directly". I asked if he could please leave a note for whoever was responsible and he clearly was irritated that I asked. Next I asked where the nearest Tesco's was. He just shrugged and said "Over there". Later I walked around the area for about 40 minutes but never did find it. There was a black cat sitting outside the front door and when I about the cat I was told "Don't worry about him". I starting to leave and the cat tried to come into the hotel so I said "Sir, he is trying to get in". The man then yelled at me "What do you think this is...the Red Cross!!" Or something to that effect. Unbelievable! I found out later his name is Francois. So Francois I really hope you read this: I politely asked you a couple of legitimate questions and in return I was ignored and then insulted . YOU ARE AN ARROGANT, RUDE, MISERABLE, LAZY JERK WHO SHOULD NOT BE DEALING WITH THE PUBLIC. IF THIS IS HOW YOU REGULARLY TREAT PAYING GUESTS THEN YOU SHOULD BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE YOU ARE BAD FOR BUSINESS. I CERTAINLY DON'T EXPECT AN APOLOGY BECAUSE I DOUBT YOU HAVE THE CLASS OR MANNERS TO OFFER ONE. I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WORK WITH YOU. Between the general uncleanliness of the place (cracks in the plaster, exposed drywall, torn carpets in the hall, cigarette smell in the air) and Francois' nasty outburst, I seriously thought about checking out on the spot even though I had only been there less than 12 hours. But I had prepaid 3 months before and would have lost about $800 which I could not afford to do. There were a few bright spots that should be mentioned: The bedding and towels were clean, the ladies who serve breakfast were pleasant enough (although it would be nice if there were foods available for vegans), a young man named Lloyd was really nice and helpful (thanks to him I found Tesco's!) and so was the young lady (sorry I didn't get your name) who assisted me with making a phone call one night. This was my fourth trip to London and by far it was the worst experience because of this hotel. Just because a building is old doesn't mean it has to be run down and dirty. I am surprised a Heath & Safety inspector hasn't closed it down. So to anyone considering staying here: please DON'T. You will be sorry if you do.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank rainwater423
BokaLondon, Manager at Boka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear Ms R.L.

Firstly before addressing your many comments I apologise for any upset you had with the night receptionist, if this happened as you describe then it is unacceptable behaviour and we will be speaking to him to gain his side of the story before taking any action. I do wish you had asked to speak to one of the members of management about this during your many days at the hotel.

Moving on, you speak of a number of issues you claim are Health and Safety matters and dangerous. Let us have a look at them one by one.

Your Room was on a mezzanine floor so a few steps down from the elevator, the stairs are not dangerous and I have posted a photograph taken tonight at 11pm so it can be seen in the same light as you saw it on check in.

The bathtub, as far as I am aware all bathtubs sit slightly above the floor, none sit directly on the floor when fitted as pipes etc have to run underneath them unless you have a sunken bathtub and not many basic or even 5 star hotels have those . There is no shower curtain as as can be seen from photograph I have uploaded it is a bathtub with hand held shower, not a shower. As for your comments on slipping, we use Tenura Anti Slip products on baths and bathroom floors to prevent slipping, these products are far better than traditional rubber mats as they are permanent and therefore cannot harbour dirt and bacteria. These products have been seen and approved by a Health and Safety Officer and are widely used.

The radiator, I am not sure about other countries but in the UK central heating with radiators is the most common form of heating, a curtain being close to a fixed water filled radiator is not a fire hazard, in fact you will find many people dry clothes on them.

As for torn carpets in the hall, the hallway outside your room has a marble floor, the stairs have carpeting and the reception area had carpet tiles, all of which I shall upload pictures of.

Breakfast is a full English breakfast, toast, cereal, tea, coffee and orange juice are also served. If a person wishes to have a vegetarian variation all they have to do is ask, for vegan options clients will usually make a comment on their booking form which Expedia who you booked through and paid to does give the option of, if we are informed of dietary requirements we will do our best to accommodate, if we are not then I do feel it is rather unfair to say nothing, request nothing but then complain later after leaving.

The note you refer to about wiring not being live, that was not our existing lighting but a place where a new switch for something is being fitted, that note was there so the fitter knew where to go to as it had been prepared ready for him.

As for your general comments about the room and bathroom, there is a shelf in the bathroom, it is a tiled shelf above the bath at the tap end and to my mind the room is not grim and shabby, I have uploaded photos of the room for readers to see for themselves.

Once again I apologise if the events you describe with a member of staff happened as said, this is not right, I do wish you had chosen to speak to us at the time, but I do not feel your room was vile, depressing, grim or shabby.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

This hotel was my family worse traveling experience. It only has 2 good things its location and room price.
All staff lacks of communication and information except for the old lady that makes a good breakfast she's very very nice.
The room was awful very dirty and old with cracks on the walls and damaged door. The bathroom light only works for 5min.
At night we couldn't sleep due to the mattress bad quality and thin-walled rooms.
Avoid.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Leandro M
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The outer appearance of your hotel was very welcoming. The room I shared with three classmates was kind of ok, because especially the toillets were clean. However, the rest of the bathroom was dirty here and there. The shower was broken because it changed from hot to cold frequently and the squirt of the shower didn't have power. Moreover, the regular heating was broken so it was cold all day, even though we had been given a hot air oven. The breakfast was tasty, but there was a tiny selection for somebody who is not used to British breakfast. Another thing that is happend one morning, when we let your cat into the breakfast room, one of your wokers literally kicked the poor cat out of the room. The sum up, nevertheless, i would spend time in your hotel again, because you have a good lacation to a subway station, which offers frequent rides to the city cener in five minutes. Furthermore the money that we spend was approriate to what we got. Nora

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nora S

Thank you for your review , your student group was very well behaved at the hotel which we much appreciated aand were pleased to see your teachers again.

I would just like to comment on the cat, it is not our cat but belongs to a lady over the road. Now the cat has dceided he wants to adopt us which is very flattering and we make him very welcome behind the reception desk where he will happily sleep for hours before going off on his travels , but we have to shoo him out if he tries to get into the breakfast room as people are eating there and they might not like it and we would certainly get into trouble for allowing a cat in to a food area , and if he was allowed in the breakfast room he could easily get into the kitchen which is unhygienic in a public kitchen. Dont get me wrong we all love him dearly , I myself have cats, but being a hotel we have to follow certain rules which is why we can only allow him to visit us in the reception area and not other parts of the hotel.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I booked the hotel with my class. It is not as good as new hotel with great comfort, but it served its purpose. The location of public transport is good. There is also a supermarket open 24 hours in the near. The hygiene leaves much to be desired, however. The hotel room is cleaned every day, but you can't see it. From the rooms you should not expect too much, because they are quite small and sparsely furnished. The food is getting used to for the German people. It's not bad, but it is not everyone's taste.You can choose between English breakfast for example eggs, beans, sausage and toast. The service was always friendly and helpfull. Every problem was solved directly by the service. All in all, the value of money is ok for London. However, you should not expect too much.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2012

In February of this year we booked the hotel for five days/four nights and we paid a fair price for our residents.

The position of the hotel is very good. You need only a few minutes on foot, to the metro station and the town. In the town you can get anything you need, such as a 24 hour store, restaurants, electronic shops and so on.

The hotel staff is great, too. The staff is present around the clock, always friendly and you can always talk to them about problems in the rooms or you could ask them about town information, if you need. In case of problems, the staff immediately did what they could. In addition the breakfast is very good, you can always get another one.

But there is also a beauty mark. The rooms are a little long in the tooth.
The beds were a bit uncomfortable, the windows were a little bit leaky and our electric heater was defect (sometimes it goes, sometimes not), but it was never very cold in our room.

Finally, we paid a fair / reasonable price for the total package. For this price I can recommend the Boka Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business