“Stay away at all costs”
Review of Adria Hotel

Adria Hotel
Ranked #269 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Planned to stay here after visiting Germany.
We arrived about 5.00 p.m. to be greeted by a closed door. Sign on door stated “No Vacancies”. Repeated ringing and knocking were not answered. Eventually a person did arrive, from the street, to open the door. He did apologise but added that he had to deal with a guest, which he did via the telephone.
I was then asked to pay, which I refused to do saying that I normally pay on departure, the reason will be made clear later. Also I was informed that there would be a charge no matter whether I used a Debit or Credit card. No mention on booking site. I also noticed that there was now a charge of £4.00 for continental breakfast and £7.00 for full English, not as stated when I booked. I was also asked for my passport. I know that Newcastle may seem a far flung outpost but since when do you need a passport to stay in your own country?
All of this paled into insignificance with what was to follow.
We were given our room keys mine being 404 on the second floor. Despite have mobility issues no help was offered to take our cases up a very steep and winding staircase. Whilst climbing the stairs I managed to hit my head on a projecting section which was, in my opinion too close to the staircase. I was, before retirement, a Structural Design Engineer experienced in designing many staircases. The Building Regulations require minimum clearances which this staircase did not have. I will be writing to Hammersmith Building Control to ask one of their Inspectors to check out the Adria Hotel.
Upon reaching our room we were really pleased to see that it was, apparently, still occupied. Coins had been left on the dresser, a backpack was propped against the wall, and one of the pillows still had an impression from a head in it, a half empty bottle of whiskey was on the bedside table together with non-empty bottles of water. I can provide photographic evidence, if required.
The receptionist was at a loss to explain it but offered us another room. Two issues prevented us accepting this offer. If there were No Vacancies how was there a spare room? Also the idea that someone else had a key to room 404 made me wonder how many other rooms did they have a key to.
I informed the receptionist that as I had once before been stung at another hotel by paying up front and then finding it was rubbish and that was the very reason why I had no intention of paying until I left.
My daughter managed to Google a much better hotel in the vicinity and we left to stay there. £66 cheaper, no card charges and a good breakfast included.

We did actually wonder whether the first phone call was to ask the occupier to vacate room 404 but they obviously did not have enough time to clear it completely.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Oldstertripper
adriahotelham, Manager at Adria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

We totally accept responsibility for the mix-up upon check-in but are also disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to rectify the mistake. The problem occurred due to a late check-out of one of our previous guests which meant that we had to re-allocate the reviewers booking to another room. Unfortunately due to a shift change this information was not relayed to the next member of staff and the reviewer was given the wrong key. Obviously not the reviewers fault but nevertheless an error that was honest and easily correctable. Just to make it clear the room was most certainly not still occupied nor did anyone else still have a key, the room just wasn't supposed to be let out that evening hence the no vacancies sign on the door.

In reference to payment upon arrival and additional charges, customers are always made aware of our payment policies and extra costs which are clearly indicated on all websites at the time of booking. To all future guests please take the time to read the terms and conditions, they are not hidden and are there to provide you with information about your stay with us.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Adria is a great value for money 2 star hotel. We return regularly because the hotel maintains high standards of cleanliness, which is not something you can rely on. Easy location for the tube and good range of places to eat within 15 minutes walk.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank jeniferb001
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our family stayed at this hotel for 12 days during our recent London trip. We reserved a family room which was on the first floor facing a street. The noise was audible but not excessive, room was clean and spacious enough for 4 people. A big plus was two single beds for kids so they did not have to share. Breakfast had two choices: continental and full English (included continental plus eggs, bacon, sausage and beans). We opted for continental and it was plenty for us. The location of the hotel is within 5 minutes walk to two Hammersmith tube stations serving two different lines. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs around and also a lot of shopping possibilities. The staff at the hotel was very attentive and pleasant. The only "complaint" we have is that the hotel has no air conditioning and room can get pretty stuffy, especially on the sunny side which ours was. All in all, we had a wonderful stay and would recommend Adria to anyone visiting London.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

A friend and I stayed one night in a twin room as we were in Hammersmith for a concert at the Apollo. It was within walking distance of the Apollo which was nice. It was also quite clean and comfortable. No frills, but what can you expect for the price??

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and 3 teens (19, 15, 13) had a good stay at Adria Hotel. The location was good, 5 minute walk to the Hammersmith tube station, with some good restaurants nearby. We were in a room 1/2 floor below street level and needed to open the window for fresh air and cooling at night. The street noise was a little irritating, but we all slept well despite. The breakfast was good and the staff friendly, although we did hear a rather loud prolonged argument between two staff in the hallway our first afternoon there. I recomend this hotel due to the price and location, especially when so many London hotels are expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

thank you for making us feel like at home. great service, great room, great location, great breakfast - we love it!!
Odličan smještaj. Ugodno osoblje. Sobe su izrazito čiste, kreveti i jastuci udobni, kupaona čista - zbilja smo se jako ugodno osjećali. Odličan i bogat doručak. Svaki dan smo dobivali nove ručnike iako ih nismo bacili na pod i nismo smatrali da ih je potrebno mijenjati. Ostali smo 3 noći i s obzirom na udobnost kreveta spavale smo vrlo ugodno.

Room Tip: making you feel like at home
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The hotel is newly renovated and no expense has been spared in the renovation. For what you pay you get great value. The hotel is well located and the staff super attentive. The continental breakfast is simple but of good quality.
Our room was a bit noisy and certainly cannot sleep with the window open for the street noise but where can you in London ? Would return

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple