“poor restaurant”

Grappolo Ristorante & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: A modern Italian restaurant and bar, Grappolo serves up authentic Italian cuisine and regional specialities with a contemporary edge. Close to Fleet Street, this Italian City restaurant presents a diverse menu of food and drink. The contemporary dining room has a relaxed yet vibrant ambience, with cosy booth seating and smart décor.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Thank god I had discount vouchers for this restaurant as it was a very disappointing experience. There was no welcome at receprtion from the tall blond female staff member, she just took us to a table and put the menu down and walked off. The staff were 'perfunctury' in their jobs and really all lacked customer service training. The food was very disappointing, very bland and again served with no smile or interest in the customer. We had a bottle of wine which the waiter uncorked and poured straight into the glass with no mention of tasting first. Our glasses of tap water were never refilled and we waited ages for bread to be brought to the table.

Nothing to recommend this restaurant.
Tip- go somewhere else!

4  Thank Molly O

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked a table for two and was quite excited as the menu and pictures on the internet looked good.

The table we were given was O.K but was at street level so the view from the window was the pavement as it were.

I had the steak which was good, my friend had some pasta which was mediocre. I think I probably could have made a better sauce myself at home.

House white - This was included in an offer I was using and wasn't very pleasant. I wouldn't order this wine again.

OK for a quick eat but nothing special

1  Thank Dutton2009
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Why do restaurants do voucher deals? Isn't it to show off their wares and make you want to return? Or is it to give customers the impression that anyone who paid full price must be barking, as the portions were unbelievably small (we thought we generally got 50% each) and the a al carte prices unbelievably high (£12 for 6 measly bits of meat on a wooden platter as a starter? Not even a crumb of bread). All the food was extremely average - Tesco's do a better Tiramisu. If we hadn't been on a deal (£29 for 2 for 3-course meal and wine) we'd have been straight out of there. Service was generally indifferent (some staff were still trying, but most seemed to resent the customers). Many deals are better than this and many restaurants are considerably better.

2  Thank RANNEW6
Reviewed June 22, 2013

They have to be having a laugh!! They simply cannot be serious about the prices here as the food was at best poor ! We went on a Time Out voucher - something I took as a guarantee of quality, but sadly not at all. I think pretty much everyone there was also with similar vouchers and those that werent must have been livid or fools. The first course was a prawn thing, a small bowl with about 3 prawns at the bottom, a few olives and loads of salad leaves on top, no dressing, no flavour, nothing. And it must have taken 4 seconds to prepare. This was priced at £12. Unbelievable. My partner had the strange pork tuna thing,- a slice of pork covered in a tuna goo sauce?? Now while at least this had some taste to it, it quite frankly looked like a plate of puke. We both had the chicken milanese, again LOADS of salad to make it look substantial with a small chicken breast, about 8 chips and a few sliced raw tomatoes. Must have taken 5 minutes to prepare and was priced at £14. Beyond belief. The puddings we had to choose at the start - my partners cheesecake would literally have fitted onto one spoon, tiny - and £6 !!!! The wine was ok but no choice whatsoever. The waitress gave us a constant look of disdain when serving and all of the staff looked sick to the back teeth with serving such rubbish. I also witnessed one waitress mocking the tip she had been left with all the other waitresses. We were convinced they had made up the price list just to make you beleive you were getting a bargain with the voucher as the real cost of the meal should have been around £9 a head total. A very very strange unsettling experience as it was a restaurant that took no pleasure in its food or customers - so why bother?? I echo others when I say avoid, avoid, avoid

3  Thank Peter w
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Disappointed all round with this "restaurant". Firstly let me talk about the misrepresentation of their Al La Carte menu on their website. The pdf download does not bear ANY resemblance to the bland, cafeteria menu you are actually presented with. Their excuse was that it was an old menu on their website... strange that it was their 'marketing' person giving this information! Secondly, there are side plates on the tables but these get taken away when you give your order. If you do not ask for bread, you will not get offered it! Thirdly, you have to order your dessert at the beginning of the meal.... and, again, don't expect to get the delicious things detailed on the website! The service was barely adequate... the wrong main courses were brought... there was no attention given to additional drinks etc. True Italians would be mortified that this restaurant is classified as such... it doesn't even come close to the food and service you get in Italy. Really... I could go on... however, I will just say this... spend your hard earned money elsewhere - this place does not deserve your custom.

2  Thank FoodCritic269