“Where to start...”

Grappolo Ristorante & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: A modern Italian restaurant and bar, Grappolo serves up authentic Italian cuisine and regional specialities with a contemporary edge. Close to Fleet Street, this Italian City restaurant presents a diverse menu of food and drink. The contemporary dining room has a relaxed yet vibrant ambience, with cosy booth seating and smart décor.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

First I was impressed as someone from restaurant called us in advance to confirm our reservation.
When we arrived,they took our coats, showed us to our table and that was it. Literally...
We were sitting there for exactly 30 minutes and no one came by to take our order even when we were turning around to 'attract' someone. Everyone seemed to be so busy even though only 3-4 tables were occupied.
After this we decided to leave. Suddenly someone (manager probably,not sure) came to see us what's the problem and tried to persuade us that no one came by because they are opening only at 6pm (our reservation was at 5.30pm). However there were people drinking their wine and I saw waiter next to their table about three times and another couple already eating when we walked in. But even if this would be truth why no one told us this before?
I think I am quite patient person but this was enough even for me.
Real shame as I booked this place for Valentine's dinner.
My rating is affected by our experience but in my view they don't deserve anything else. No food rating as we never got to this point.

1  Thank jsana

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and i visited Grappolo restaurant on Friday 1st of Feb 2013. We really enjoyed how we were welcomed on arrival and the lovely lady took us to our sit. We were served with our wine ( we chose the red wine it was lovely) the 3 Courses meal was amazing. Because it was Friday there were live music and it was very busy which is expected. This is why you need to book in advance. I visited the website and requested a promotion coupon for next time. We received another deal for 2 courses meal with wine for £19.50 brilliant deal. I recommend it to my friends and family.

1  Thank P_C186338
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We ate here with friends on a group on voucher, which meant that we paid £15 a head for three courses and a bottle of wine. The food, for that price was okay, but had we have paid the full amount it would, frankly, have been a rip off!
Mu husband had tomato and mozzarella, four slices of each with a bit of dressing, which would have cost over £9 at full price.Similarly for the vegetables and smoked mozzarella. The steak, (approx 6-7 ozs) with green peppercorn sauce would have been around £19 piece of steak with chips, and I believe there was a £3 supplement on that and the lamb shank, chosen by our friends, as part of the group on deal.
It was also impossible to have a conversation as there was live music (man and guitar plus backing tracks) which meant that everyone was talking loudly to be heard over the music. Pity we chose to go on a Friday, which is, apparently, live music night. The noise level was pity unbearable after a while and we couldn't wait to leave.
The only good part of the experience was the service.I wouldn't rush back!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went with a colleague, but we sat down for close to 15 mins with noone asking us anything, then a man approached us to take our orders. We are aware it is an Italian resturant but we cant all hear what you say if you speak too fast. We placed the appetiser which was average and then they were quick to take away the plates and when the main course came, it took another long period. There was really nothing spectacular sadly but the interior of the venue is nice and i think i enjoyed the wine more... and can you also stop asking us if we want this or that and comnveniently forget to mention it comes at a cost? thanks

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Dinner at Grappolo for group of 10 on a weekday evening. Food and service all good. Reading other reviews, there are reports of inconsistencies and of less than Italian food. Our meal was universally well received. The white and red wines we chose were full of flavour. perhaps the food was a little more western than Italian but there was plenty of it and no complaints. Excellent coffee, too. Overall, hard to fault.