“Charm, Character and Warmth”
Review of Cable Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cable Street Inn
Ranked #10 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Charm, Character and Warmth”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I loved this place. Julian is the perfect host, warm, friendly and interesting I slept like a log in the huge and comfortable bed. My room overlooked the park on one side and the Cable Street mural on the other. The place is full of loved objects and art works. My friend and I had coffee on the terrace in the morning after a fine breakfast. Wilton's Music Hall is just down the road and was a great place to have a drink and take in more of the history of this fascinating part of London.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Leanne666

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Cable Street Inn was a traditional East End pub, now delightfully and stylishly restored to its 19C glory as a boutique B&B. Beautifully appointed rooms and bathrooms, and a quiet convenient location next to Shadwell station, one stop from Bank on the DLR.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank From_Fife
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I first stayed at Cable St for a week in July, with my daughter. Based on that visit we booked again for 3 more days in August, and I've just spent another 5 days there with my husband. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather stay in London.

I've always had the same room - as a twin twice and once as a double - on the top floor. The room is larger than most I've stayed in in Europe and the UK and there is plenty of storage and hanging space. Both the room and bathroom, with separate shower and huge bath, were spotlessly clean and very comfortable.

I won't repeat what has already been said here about Julian's hospitality, the locattion, and the charm of the old pub itself, except to add my vote for this as the best B&B in London. That's why I went back again and again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LynetteMin
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 10, 2013

After three nights visit I'm pretty sure where to stay next time in London. The location is very nice near Shadwell overground station and the place is just great. Our room was decorated with good taste as well as the whole Cable St. Inn. Good breakfast and propietor Julian Cole welcomed us warmly and gave good directions what to see nearby.

2 Thank 98217843
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I spent one night at this place, and am planning to come back. As I am a business traveller transport is very important. It takes about 10 minutes down to Bank on the DLR which is important to me. Even though the place is laid back, everything works perfectly. The internet works well, be it on the roof terrace in the lounge or in the room itself. The area is quiet and one feels safe there. Cleanliness is to a high standard. The standard is up to a 4star hotel and you can add the personal charm of the owners who make you feel very much at ease. One is tempted not to praise this place to much, in order to keep it to oneself. But that is probably not fair.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank BJonasson
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

After doing much research, we decided to stay at the Cable Street Inn. We were delighted with our choice. Upon our arrival, Innkeeper Julian Cole showed us around the 1790 former pub he so tastefully restored; we were offered tea as we got acquainted. We stayed in Room 1, which is on the 1st floor (2nd floor in US). It has a large bathroom with an antique bathtub, sink, and toilet, as well as a modern rainwater shower; terry bathrobes hung on the door. This lovely and spacious room has a French balcony with views of Nicholas Hawksmoor's St. George in the East Church and its gardens. The Hypnos bed was one of the most comfortable we ever slept in. There was also a handy sink in the corner of the room. Fresh flower arrangements and pretty plants adorned the bedrooms and the inn, giving off such pleasant fragrances and showing a great attention to detail.

Guests could go to breakfast anytime after 7 AM; we greatly appreciated this flexibility. When we went down the hall to the charming guest lounge and breakfast room, warm croissants seemed to be magically placed there awaiting our arrival. There were also juices, fresh fruits, toast, jams, Marmite, meats, cheese, interesting cereals, and yogurts. Everything was delicious, except for the Marmite, which was certainly optional, but fun to taste.

Julian stopped by the breakfast room every morning to be sure that we had what we needed and offered us sightseeing advice.
We thoroughly enjoyed our 6 nights at the Cable Street Inn. It was a wonderful way to end our much-loved 3-week trip to England.

Room Tip: Room #1 was lovely, quite, spacious, and very comfortable. I suspect all three rooms are excellent