“Highly recommended”

Bake with Maria
Ranked #16 of 159 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Baking Lab is a baking school in London offering students a wide variety of bread, cake and pastry classes. We run classes in the evenings and on weekends too.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My daughter and I did a Christmas baking class and it was a great success. There were eight of us and we were shown each recipe in detail and then helped with our own versions. We found it utterly absorbing and informative. We were also given a delicious lunch during the day. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
“Breadstasy”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Maria had the zen of a bread ninja - passionate, informative and friendly, she guided us through baking some truly incredible breads. With the help of her onsite staff, four hours flew by, only leaving a bag stuffed full of fragrant bread and a sense of deep satisfaction with the whole experience.

The recipes were easy to follow and Maria's method of teaching really helped build up a new confidence to try baking at home. I doubt I will ever eat Kingsmill again.

london
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A fantastic birthday present”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My son and I attended the healthy bread baking class with Maria at her studio in Hampstead last night and we had the most wonderful evening (my birthday present from my son and husband). The evening was extremely informative, very professional, well organised and above all friendly and relaxed.I would not hesitate to rebook for another one of the fabulous range of courses that Maria runs and sincerely hope that I will be able to take advantage of her Tuscan villa cooking week very soon. Thank you Maria and your team for such a lovely evening - we will be back!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent, fun learning experience”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I attended the American Baking Class with Marianne; a birthday gift from my husband. Marianne was brilliant - a calm, knowledgeable, informative teacher who demonstrated the recipes with precision. She gave us a great deal of practical and useful additional information relating to each recipe as well as baking in general.
I hadn't realised that we would be working in pairs; my partner started off rather heavy handed with the first mixture, but things did improve and all our bakes turned out beautifully!
Lunch was provided by extremely hard-working apprentices and was delicious.
The day was full, but well balanced. I loved the fact that I left the class knowing I could take everything I had learned into my own kitchen. The ingredients were clearly easily obtainable, not overly expensive and there was no "fancy" equipment necessary.
The communication via email prior to the class was clear and the directions (with picture) useful.
Overall a great experience; certainly I would recommend it.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good but easily improved”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I did the Cake Baking Masterclass a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with the instructor, the class was small (only 8 people) which was brilliant because it was very easy to follow, and I learnt a lot. The cakes we made were straightforward but there were lots of hints and tips along the way that could easily be used in other recipes. Working in pairs was good and although I didn't know my partner, it was fun. My main issue was when were did one recipe alone and there was not enough equipment for everyone. The atmosphere became a little tense and it definitely took the gloss off the day for me - the personalities in my group definitely showed their true colours! It is a small studio but there would be room for 8 of everything. It would be worth having ingredients for people to share in pairs or fours.

I recommend this course but I would suggest a quick purchase of a few more bits of equipment.

Visited October 2013