“Good but easily improved”
Review of Bake with Maria

Bake with Maria
Ranked #15 of 151 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Baking Lab is a baking school in London offering students a wide variety of bread, cake and pastry classes. We run classes in the evenings and on weekends too.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good but easily improved”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I did the Cake Baking Masterclass a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with the instructor, the class was small (only 8 people) which was brilliant because it was very easy to follow, and I learnt a lot. The cakes we made were straightforward but there were lots of hints and tips along the way that could easily be used in other recipes. Working in pairs was good and although I didn't know my partner, it was fun. My main issue was when were did one recipe alone and there was not enough equipment for everyone. The atmosphere became a little tense and it definitely took the gloss off the day for me - the personalities in my group definitely showed their true colours! It is a small studio but there would be room for 8 of everything. It would be worth having ingredients for people to share in pairs or fours.

I recommend this course but I would suggest a quick purchase of a few more bits of equipment.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Brilliant fun and learned so much”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've done two classes with Bake with Maria so far and will be planning some more. My first was the basic bread making with Maria and the second was an all day Sourdough class with Emmanuel, a guest baker.

The class was a mix of people who had never baked before and others who were keen to learn more. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly and the support staff were great at keeping the supplies coming at the right time and clearing and cleaning to keep the workspace organised.

The explanations were excellent and they were happy to go to any level of technical detail that your curiosity could want. The instructors are all hugely experienced bakers and superb teachers.

Can't recommend the courses highly enough. It was so satisfying to walk away with loaves that were yummy and edible and feeling very proud indeed, along with the knowledge to repeat the success at home!

Visited November 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“excellent and educational”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked the bread making for beginners course as a birthday gift for my friend .We both found the course brilliant, eductional and great fun . As neither of us had any previous bread making experience we were a little apprehensive but were made to feel very quickly at ease . All the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful .We were taught to make 3 different types of bread and had a lovely selection to take home with us at the end of the evening. We will definitely be booking another course for the new year and have recommened Maria to all our friends and family .

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Italian bread making”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We made focaccia, ciabatta and pizza with Emmanuel, a very informative and good fun teacher. Plenty of skills to learn, but the day was not too hectic, time for some theory and reflection while the dough was rising. A really enjoyable day, thanks Maria and Emmanuel x

Northolt, United Kingdom
“Excellent French pastry class”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I booked on to this course after being given a voucher for my birthday and was not disappointed. The pre-course information was easily available and I received a helpful email a couple of days beforehand as well. Marianne was our tutor for the day and she quickly proved herself to be a first-class teacher, demonstrating techniques clearly and confidently, and offering advice and tips when we were mixing, piping, and so on. She also explained why we were doing what we were doing. As a result my fears about baking pastry disappeared over the course of the day almost as quickly as the products from the class disappeared when I got them home! This was an excellent day that I would recommend to anyone. Thanks.