“Basics of Baking bread”

Bake with Maria
Ranked #14 of 183 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bake with Maria is run by pastry chef and baker Maria Mayerhofer. Maria teaches a wide variety of baking classes in West Hampstead and Hampstead. We also do private and corporate classes across London.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The class was a very nice occasion to do something different. I have been making bread since I was a kid, with my mum, as we never once bought bread from the bakery. To date, I still do not buy bread. Sliced bread is not allowed in my house!
I wanted to learn the few important tricks to make great bread.

The Class is aimed at people who never have - or had the chance - to make or bake bread.
It is very basic and require not much thinking at all.
During the 4 hours class, you will bake 3 different items. There is a few tips to take home, otherwise, if you are looking for something a bit more substantial, it may not be quite sufficient.
I must say again, it was a good distraction and quite fun. Every one, comparing his baguette, was a lot of fun.

1  Thank olivierlakeside
in 19 reviews
"techniques"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Having never baked before I was not too confident about the outcome. Maria made it all very simple and took us through it step by step. My first efforts did not look great but the taste of the bread was good. I went home and did as instructed in how to make rolls. This I did for the family at 7am the next morning and even if I say so myself, it turned out great. What a treat for the children for breakfast.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Maria has clearly worked extremely hard to create relaxed and fun yet informative courses. Thank you Maria and the team!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Had a really great time on the "Enhanced Breadmaking" course.
The staff are very helpful, humorous, and friendly.
Today I am recommending this to all of my friends and colleagues.

Will definitely attend further sessions.

Dave.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It isn't a particularly scenic approach to the baking lab, but once you get in every last detail has been thought of, and the equipment and facilities are excellent, though space is tight. In addition to our tutor, there were 3 other staff there who took care of cleaning and tidying as we went along, and preparation of a delicious lunch: a slick operation. I wish I had someone in my own kitchen to do that!

Our tutor, Emmanuel, was clearly passionate about bread making, and keen to pass his skills on to us. In fact he was so keen to help that he slightly took over and didn't let us do everything ourselves. Much of the cooking was done without our input or observation: this was a little disappointing especially as one person had expressed a particular wish to earn how to judge when something is cooked. It could just be that it was a very hot day, and we were being spared too much time near the ovens.

We cooked 3 lovely things and I definitely came away inspired to try them again - and some other new things. He made it all seem quite effortless and easy.

If you would like to know more about baking I would definitely recommend: you are clearly learning from experts.

1  Thank 14jaym