“An institution”
Review of Paul Rothe & Son

Paul Rothe & Son
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Here we have a London version of an authentic New York Deli. It's been family owned and run, at this very site, since 1900. Spick & span, it offers a welcoming range of classic deli lines plus hot soup & cooked dish-of-the-day. Terrific choice of sandwich fillings on a choice of breads. A little oasis of old world charm and hospitality in a 21st Century metropolis.
Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

Having not been here for ages my wife and I came for a sandwich lunch. On a Saturday it is populated by a completely different crowd but it always has a 'local' feel to it. The service is impeccable. The sandwiches are excellent. This is the place to come if you are looking to buy jams or chutneys and they also have a great selection of biscuits and cake. They do soup and potatoes if you want hot food.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed December 18, 2017 via mobile

Cozy small deli, as if you were visiting someone's house. Good sandwiches, quiche, soup. Very friendly service and good value.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed December 17, 2017

this is one of these really nice lovely old school café's in London. The complete opposite of those awful trendy places. I love the Formica and the seats that are fixed into the floor that look like they've been there for 30 years. It's very pretty the way they've directed out with lots of little pots of sources and jams and things. I tend not to eat there because I go there for teas and coffees, and there's always slightly older local people in there. It is like stepping back in time. It's lovely. The opposite of the frenzied too cool for school crowd. None of that weird buzz. It's very sane in my opinion. It has an element of what I would call quietude or calm. The staff are incredibly civilised and genteel. I get the feeling they are the family members who own the business. It's incredibly clean. Looks like it sparkles. The food looks excellent. I have a very restrictive diet and I avoid bread and all that, but the food looks really excellent. I just love going places where the staff look like they give a damn. It's like going back in time where you went into a hardware shop and there was one person working behind the till who knew everybody on the high street. It has that sort of dignity about it. I think it's a lovely place. I think the prices are probably the same as anywhere else locally. The last time I was there I think it was just for tea and coffee. I can't remember if you need to order food to sit there or not. It might have changed its policy since I went. But there are probably times when there is room to sit and you can go there just for tea and coffee. I've tended to go there during the afternoon. but I love the people that work there. They're very nice. It's so nice to get good people working in a place. Lots of times you go places and people look so indifferent and unconcerned. The other thing I like about this place is that although it's relatively quiet inside, people are sitting having conversations at the tables in fairly quiet tones. In other words people go here and talk. Instead of sitting in silence.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed October 26, 2017

Just bobbed in for a quick sandwich. A more polite and clean service I would challenge you to find . Used by a lot of elderly locals which makes sense but why would you not support a great local place like this.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank tasty1111
Reviewed September 27, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were walking past and dropped in for a sandwich. Great filled sandwiches and nice friendly accommodating staff. Best jam and sauce collection on sale I have ever seen. Would certainly go back when in the area

Date of visit: September 2017