“I am sooooooooooooooo pleased when I get booked into this one.”

Premier Inn London City (Old Street) Hotel
Ranked #147 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Winchester, United Kingdom
“I am sooooooooooooooo pleased when I get booked into this one.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have rated this hotel before and cannot praise it enough. Everything about it is great. Location - just down from Old Street Station, Building - new, well looked after and modern, Staff - the real stars, everyone of of them - Chauntel, Tanika, Michael ( restaurant staff) Dan, Jamie, Affan and Sian (front of house staff). Bedrooms - clean, spacious and very comfortable including the beds. Showers are great. Food - very good for the price, both evening meals, bar meals and breakfast - good value and served by staff who are interested and care.

If you are in London and have to stay, this is THE place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while on a trip with my son.The hotel was very clean and staff were pleasant.Room was good size and very clean although no view from the window looking right into student accommodation but you are not spending all day in your room so no real problem.
This hotel is in a very busy part of London and situtated very close the Old Street Tube station very handy.
Very good breakfast eat as much as you like, it set us up for a busy day touring London.
Will use this hotel again if in London

1 Thank horn12
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

The greeting was exeptional, it was the first time we have ever been asked what room/floor we would like.
Top quality and immaculate room.
Fantastic breakfast.

Could not fault and would certainly recomend.

Thank you again Premier Inn for being Premier!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had a one-star experience at Premier Inn, but I do think you should consider choosing Premier Inn. I have rated it one star to increase the probability that potential customers are aware of two things before booking a room, so that they might avoid the vacation-spoiling experience that my own family had.

First, a quad room at Premier Inn is not a quad room in the American sense of the word. If one of your children is older than fifteen, your family of four cannot stay in one room, even if the system lets you book it. Second, when things go awry at Premier Inn, they really go awry.

Here’s our sad story. I booked what was called a quad room through booking.com and after completing the transaction got a confirmation that I had a room for one adult—at the quad room rate. I followed up by email to be sure that this was an error, and the manager of the Inn and Booking.com confirmed I had indeed reserved a room with breakfast included for our family of four.

Upon our morning arrival to Premier Inn, we confirmed our reservation for four, and checked our luggage. But when we returned to the hotel around 11:30 PM to check in, we were told that we had a reservation for one, not a room for four. Not to worry, the kind person at the desk said, there was something wrong with the system, please wait and we will put things in order. We waited for half an hour and finally received our room and four keys. We also learned that technically we were not allowed to all be in one room, since one of our children was over fifteen, but since I had confirmed the room via email and no one had said anything about age restrictions, they would honor the original reservation.

We happily went to our freshly assigned quad room, only to discover that it was occupied! It was now well after midnight, and our 13-year old was falling asleep on his feet. The desk was very apologetic and put us in two adjacent rooms, with a double bed in each.

The next morning, before leaving for the day, we asked the front desk whether we should move into a quad room for the second night. She checked with the manager and said that it was up to us. If we wanted to be in one room, we could move, but if we were fine with the arrangements in two rooms, we could stay.

When we got back at around 8 PM, the real horror show began. We discovered there were now four beds crammed into one of our double rooms! I naively thought they were just trying to give us the option of all sleeping in one room, which was odd (the beds barely fit), but thoughtful. There was no note telling us to move out of the other room.

Fast forward to 11:15 PM—yes 11:15 PM—after our son was sound asleep and I had just fallen asleep, I got a phone call from the staff member who had checked us into the two rooms the night before, berating me angrily for not moving into one room! He said he had told us we needed to do this (he had mentioned nothing about moving the previous night, being embarrassed that he did not have the quad room we had reserved), and if we did not comply RIGHT NOW, we would be charged for the other room! The room was clearly NOT going to be cleaned up for another occupant at 11:15 PM at night. I had to wake up our son, get dressed so I could return the keys, pack up all our things and shove everything and everyone into a room designed for two people. It was an absolute nightmare.

Could this happen to you? I don’t think it is very likely, but it happened to us, so you should know. I was actually very impressed with the entire operation until the unbelievable events of our last night there. Bottom line? Premier Inn provides outstanding value for money, but the cost of such slim profit margins may be that in rare instances you sometimes get a whole lot less than what you pay for.

Room Tip: Quad rooms are only for two adults and two children under age 15.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank AllieK_1944
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn London City (Old Street) Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Fine stay. Quick check in, fine room sleep etc. But, come breakfast, for which I paid a hugely overpriced £8.95 for a bowl of cereal and a coffee, when I helped myself to a cup of tea to a colleague collecting me before we set off for a meeting, we were chased down to pay £1.70 for the cup of tea, and almost frog marched to reception to pay when the card machine didn't work. Left me fuming. Had we not been late for meeting I would have complained. Seriously unimpressed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicholas157
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Hotel is clean and the rooms are of a good standard. Food in the restaurant is very good and reasonably priced. Service from the restaurant staff is outstanding! Eating alone in the restaurant, i was made to feel at ease. Location is good for the financial district.

• Stayed April 2013
Jonkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just back from a 5 night stay in London at the Old St Premier Inn. Really have nothing negative to say about our stay or the hotel. Check in and check out went so quickly and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself seems quite new and modern - decor is clean, fresh and modern and the room we had was fine. We were 2 adults and 2 children so we had a bed sofa and an extra bed for the children plus a double bed. The bathroom was new and modern with good shower and bath- a hairdryer and kettle are provided. The breakfast buffe was fantastic and had everything you could possibly want. A great coffee maker- from Costa - had caffe lattes everyday! We ate at the hotel in the evening one day too as we were too tired to go out again- they had great kids meals and we had pizzas which were quite good. The hotel is close by the Old St tube station - about 5 mins walk and we even walked to the moorgate station - about 10 mins away as they had 3 lines there. A few good shops and restaurants in walking distance - and best of all the bus 135 to Liverpool st station (for the stansted express) stops right outside the hotel. I would absolutely recommend th Old St Premier Inn to families or couples who want to stay relatively central in London at a reasonable price with good standard