“Nice evening but could have been better”

Wahaca Covent Garden
Reserve a Table
DesignMyNight
Ranked #848 of 28,200 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The original and still the best! As popular now as the day it opened, Wahaca Covent Garden collides the heat of the Mexican market with all the coolness of London's trendy West End, in an explosion of colour, texture and noise. Enjoy the funky music and lively surroundings in the bar while you wait to be seated.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Probably my fault as I had been expecting so much after years of hearing about this place, but found it slightly under-whelming. Seemed to be a lot of staff and not too busy, but the girl looking after us was in a hurry and didn't seem too bothered about looking after us. Food was fine but other Mexicans in London are just as good. This just wasn't a special experience but prices were ok and good if you are short of time as you are not encouraged to linger.

Date of visit: June 2019
WahacaCoventGarden, Manager at Wahaca Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We always appreciate it when a customer lets us know how their experience was, and I can see there were ups and downs with yours.
We would love to hear some detail on when you visited so we can look into the problems you had, and see if we might be able to turn around your visit. If you have the time, please contact us on coventgarden@wahaca.co.uk so we can pick up directly.

Kind Regards,

Bruno

Write a ReviewReviews (2,267)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Sunday evening, got seated straight away, nice vibe. We were sat for over 20 minutes before someone came over apologised and said our server was busy. There were lots of staff around the bar. After another 5 I complained and the guy laying tables served us straight away. We ordered the sharing menu, even though it was sharing a few things arrived in 3's????
Nachos were cold, vegetables were cold.
The portions were smallish, and some were bland. Liked the Broccoli and Duck but not much else.
We were disappointed, love Mexican, great fans of Thomasina but this was bland with poor service.

1  Thank Ken-2many-Avios
WahacaCoventGarden, Manager at Wahaca Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Ken , Thanks in advance for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit. We are really sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. Please if you can drop as an email on coventgarden@wahaca.co.uk as is really important for us to know areas where we are able to improve. Kind regards Wahaca Covent Garden Team

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I live just outside London and decided to have some dinner before going to a west end show. I had a serious craving for some Mexican food so after some research we found this place before coming into London. When we arrived there was a bit of a wait so we waited and had a margarita by the bar. I asked for a skinny margarita (less sugar) and the bartender said the juice was prepared before hand which was a bit odd I thought (being a bartender myself) but no big deal. I don’t think she quite understood maybe what I was asking for as it appeared the lime juice was prepare which is normal when it’s fresh but anyway minor detail. The margarita was still lovely. We quickly got a table.. we ordered the roasted salsa and chips and corn fritters to start, the pork tacos, two orders of the steak tacos, and the chilli quesadilla. We like spice so our server (I believe his name was Fabio) provided some lovely habanero sauce to kick things up. He explained the menu very well to us and was able to answer the questions about the food and make suggestions. He did inform us the food sometimes comes at different time, and it was only towards the end we finally got the corn fritters but they were worth the wait. Seeing this, our server covered them on our bill which was just such a nice customer service gesture, we weren’t expecting that, but being in the industry, I certainly appreciated him taking care of us. The only slightly disappointing thing was the steak on the tacos was very fatty. At one point I had a bite and it was pure fat. But that aside, the steak was cooked PERFECTLY, just could have done without so much fat as it was distracting from the rest of the beautifully cooked meat. All in all we will DEFINITELY be back. Thank you Fabio for a wonderful experience, it was very busy but you didn’t disappoint, table #32:)

Date of visit: June 2019

What a pleasure it is to read such an enthusiastic review. Thank you for this, Erin. I shall pass your comments to the Fabio and Team.
Our amazing Margaritas are made with 35 ml of Altos Blancos, fresh lime juice and organic Agave syrup. We do prepared the fresh lime juice and agave, every morning, in order to speed up service. Next time you in we will definitely serve u one with less sugar, is possible.
We love the fact you enjoy the food, staff and our buzzing restaurant!!! Hope you decide to visit again soon! Kind Regards, Bruno

Reviewed June 11, 2019 via mobile

We had a delicious meal in Wahaca in Covent Garden tonight. We ordered two cocktails and a variety of different street food tapas with our lovely waiter Paul. The drinks and food were brought out to us speedily, and with only half an hour left until we needed to leave Paul was very accommodating and ordered us some more tapas. I’m intolerant to Chilli - not the best when eating in a mexican restaurant! Paul was very helpful with this and insisted the spicy sauces were bought out on the side.

Thank you Wahaca for giving us a lovely date night, thanks a million to Paul for giving us the best service ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Date of visit: June 2019

Dear India, Wahaca Covent Garden team is glad to hear you had a wonderful time in our restaurant! I will pass your comments to Paul and I'm sure he will be very proud to read such lovely words! We will wait for your next visit in our branch. Kind regards, Bruno

Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

Our waiter Eli was outstanding from the moment we entered the restaurant. Not intrusive but efficient, friendly and happy! A jug of tap water is immediately brought to your table which is a nice touch as it was a rather hot Saturday lunchtime. The food was delicious and reasonably priced as were the cocktails. Service was excellent. We will definitely return on our next trip to London.

Date of visit: June 2019
WahacaCoventGarden, Manager at Wahaca Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2019

Thank you for your amazing review, HappyCamper. We aim to please, wow, and make all those who visit us happy, so we're so glad you had a lovely time. I shall pass your comments to our team here, and hope you come again soon!

Kind Regards,