“Fun Mexican Lunch”

Wahaca Covent Garden
Ranked #681 of 24,420 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The original and still the best! As popular now as the day it opened, Wahaca Covent Garden collides the heat of the Mexican market with all the coolness of London's trendy West End, in an explosion of colour, texture and noise. Enjoy the funky music and lively surroundings in the bar while you wait to be seated.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I visited this for an unscheduled lunch on a Saturday afternoon. We had been stolling around London looking at the sights and my lad, who is 12, fancied Mexican food. I googled this one and the idea of Mexican street food appealed to him. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. We were told it would be about half and hour so we were happy with that. We had a drink from the bar while we were waiting.

We chose a selection of food first ensuring that none of the items would agrivate my son food allergies. The staff were quick to find out what on the menu might cause a problem. Each item we chose was unique, tasty, well prepared and presented.

I have travelled extensively in Latin America and the food did remind me of my time in Mexico as did the atmosphere.

My son tried one of the non-acoholic cocktails and I had a beer or two.

All in all a good interesting lunch stop and a fine way to break up the days sightseeing.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Tried this for dinner on Saturday night with a friend, we ordered the tasting selection for 2 plus another side dish. It was a feast! The mojito cocktail I had while waiting for a table was the best I have ever had. A great atmosphere and friendly service add to the whole lovely experience, plus it's great value especially considering the location.
I believe they do not take reservations, so be prepared to wait a little for a table if you are going peak times, but it's worth it.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We met up with our grandaughter in London before a show on the Strand and she suggested we go to Wahaca Covent Garden as it's a favourite of hers and her friends. We love mexican food...and this place seves authentic mexican. We had a few drinks at the bar,delicious mojitos and my husband tried the special aged tequila that is very similar to a bourbon whiskey ! We were shown to our table and soon the restaurant was very very busy. The menu offered plenty of choice and we ordered a variety of dishes,various tacos and quesiladdas,a couple of fish dishes..it was all delicious and fresh tasting. Service was excellent,our waiter was very friendly and chatty and knew a lot about the food. There was a buzz about the place and a casual ambience. Would definately visit a Wahaca again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

After seeing such great reviews and being a former masterchef winner at the helm it was a simple choice for dinner while on our visit to London.
When we arrived it was quite busy and had to wait a while, no problem and to be expected for a Saturday night, the greeter was friendly and so were the bar staff, we were seated within 40 minutes and ordered our food, mine was brought to the table within a couple of minutes but my girlfriend had to wait for hers. The food was really average - in particular the pork tacos had very little flavour which being their "trademark" authentic dish was very disappointing. Although the bill was very reasonable we didn't feel it was any better than other chains.

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

It was okay I had the tacos and the others had quesadillas not vey hot food and taste was okay great atmosphere there and great location but the food was only meh we didn't complain as we were in a hurry for s show but I don't think we will go back again