“Lunch at Thirty Six”
Review of Thirty Six

Thirty Six
Reserve with OpenTable
Thirty Six is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,585 of 22,516 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: In 2012 THIRTY-SIX was awarded three rosettes for culinary excellence. Indeed, Nigel's cuisine is some of the best modern British food you will find in the region. Interestingly, the secret of his excellence is the balance between classical flavours meticulously prepared, and a contemporary flair to produce both stunning presentation and taste.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Lunch at Thirty Six”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had lunch at Thirty Six yesterday with 6 friends. The food and service were excellent. We chose from the set lunch menu - £28 for 3 courses, including tea or coffee. Wine was reasonably priced. I would definitely go back and perhaps try the dinner menu.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Liz M

• Greek first
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Took a family member here for a birthday meal. Took advantage of an deal offering 3 courses and a glass of bubbly, and was very surprised to find each course was bookended by something exquisite - a vegetable soup with sage foam and the citrus and tequila sorbet palette cleanser were the highlights. 3 courses effectively became 7 - a very pleasant surprise. Lovely atmosphere, but surprisingly quiet (although we dined relatively early on a tuesday). All the food was great, but my black fig turnover with goats cheese ice cream and sherry vinegar jelly stole the show. Top marks.

London, United Kingdom
“High quality, subtle cuisine, superb service.”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I lunched my oldest friend here for his 87th birthday. We've been lunching together regularly in London restaurants for nearly half a century and we are fussy old men. However, although we had heard good reports of Duke's Hotel for many years neither of us had ever visited it. Well, we shall be going back again, and again. And here is why - the restaurant, Thirty Six, is indeed first rate; the decor cheering and refined; the service at table attentive, properly anticipatory and quiet - and the menu - the food? Well, as my old friend said: "it's delightfully subtle". He meant that the dishes are a delight to the eye (imaginatively arranged and presented), delicious, full of complementary flavours and although portions may look small they are more than sufficient. A triumph for the chef de cuisine, in our opinion. And I may add that the price of three courses at lunch for £29 is very low - I wonder how they make a profit at that price given the high quality and variety of ingredients in each dish. I found the general ambience of the spotlessly clean and well-polished Duke's Hotel to be quiet and comforting and the well-dressed helpful, cheerful staff are an asset to the house. Were I a rich man I would move in and live there for the rest of my life! I mean that - it's really is a quite unique house, in my experience. Only one flaw - I just wish they did not play "musak" in Thirty Six - even at a low level, which it was - it is not necessary, I think.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank JSMR893
Kiev
“Nice Michelin style”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have a lunch here during my stay in Duke Hotel. It is very bright restaurant, with friendly and helpful staff.

I had 2 set menu. I got artichoke salad, with morel, and beef. Both were excellent in taste, and service. the meet was absolutely good prepared in french style, and served with mashed potato, and mushroom's souse.

the place is good for business meeting and family visit to have a leisurely dinner.

• Visited June 2012
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We started the evening with great cocktails in the Duke's bar upstairs. The restaurant was elegantly decorated. The service was very good without being intrusive. On arrival we were served lovely canapes. The meal was outstanding. The only downside was that the restaurant was quiet. despite being a Satuday evening. Nigel Mendham and the restaurant deserve more customers, though I hope this doesn't adversely affect food and service. We will be back soon.

• Visited May 2012