“My husband's favorite meal in London!”
Review of De Palo's - CLOSED

De Palo's
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: Cosy, Italian trattoria/restaurant near St Paul's, serving authentic, homemade, classic dishes
Boston
“My husband's favorite meal in London!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We went for lunch after St. Paul's & before the Tate Modern, after reading the Tripadvisor reviews. Fortunately we were early, as we did not have a lunch reservation and although there were only a few occupied tables when we arrived, the remaning tables were reserved and indeed soon filled up. The host was very warm and helpful, and overall service was excellent. My grilled salmon was delicious and perfectly cooked, and my husband declared his lasagna (the day's special) to be his best dish in London. He liked the tiramisu, although not crowning it his favorite dessert in London :) The decor is austere (all white linen and plain wood), and the room has a high ceiling that offsets the paucity of windows. The atmosphere is relaxed but still elegant, and would be as appropriate for a business lunch as for a family meal. We would be happy to return, and to recommend others to go.

5 Thank BostonQT

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, and service”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Visited on the first week of olympic games where we met up with friends for a wonderful lunch, good choice on menu, service attentive, overall a nice atmosphere. Also good value.

3 Thank Oscarsmom17
“Great Service...Warm people...”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Went for a working lunch with the team, it was an early booking so we were the first customers to arrive for the day. We received a very warm welcome from the manager and soon enough the place filled out completely so it was a good thing we booked.

The waiter bought out olive oil and some simple bread to munch on before taking our orders etc. We had the soup of the day for starters which was chilled asparagus with pesto and we all agreed it was very refreshing especially on such a hot afternoon. Moving on we had 3 dishes all of which were nice, the crab linguini, the artichoke ravioli and the dish of the day which was a cold pasta salad. All the food was very authentic and reminded us of Italy, it was also clear that care had gone into the ingredients which were very fresh.

However, I guess we have been spoilt a bit by spiced up Italian food in London (maybe US influence as well, full of creamy cheesy sauces etc) so when presented with an authentic plate of simple Italian food you cannot help feel it’s all a little bit bland, so I pumped up the volume on the mains with extra seasoning, chilli oil, parmesan etc and then the meal went into high gear. So basically if you’re looking for delicate taste then you've hit a home run here and if not the condiments will help you pump up the taste as the foundations are very good. Win/Win.

For desserts we had the homemade tiramisu which was very nice but once again helped along by the raspberry ganache that was laced into it.

Service: The chef was Sicilian and the waiters are also Italian. They were attentive and refilled our water glasses when required without asking. There's no obligatory tip or service charge.

Atmosphere: There was a mix of people, some office workers and also a few couples. It was very casual with lots of lulling chatter. The restaurant is tucked away behind a side street by St Paul's and Fleet Street. I recommend booking a table in advance if you want to guarantee a seating area as the place is fairly small but still spacious.

Decor: There are several skylights letting in au naturale light and also dim lighting creating a pleasant mood.

Value for money: Very good value for money! Main dishes start at about £9 or so. Dessert is £5, starters range between £5-8.

You could easily be miles away from the bustle of the Strand – a cross between a tiny roadside Sicilian eatery and an Edward Hopper diner. The décor, almost rustically simple, provided the muted calm of expectation and whetting the interest. With the passing of Islington’s Granita, surely this is where today’s generation of business schemers might safely meet to close a hushed deal. Overall it was all nicely done, in and out in one hour. Best thing was the great service from the warm staff.

8 Thank Sidji
“Real Italian!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went there for dinner on Friday evening with by boyfriend, I am Italian and usually I end up very disappointed with Italian cousine in London, Having read the reviews I was intrigued so I decided to try the place. The restaurant is small and cosy, the service nice and friendly. We ordered an antipasto misto and grilled prawns, both starters were really fresh and the sauce of my prawns was beautiful. As main I chose the artichokes ravioli, whereas my bf had lasagna. Ravioli were exceptional, fresh, tasty, cooked in a beautiful herb sauces. I didn't taste lasagna but it looked really good and my bf was really happy with it. we shared a dessert, overall we spend 60 pound. i found the prices absolutely fair, good choices of wines, friendly but not intrusive service. We will definitely go back!!!

3 Thank wlb0
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic all rounder”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

What an amazing dinner last night! We had a mixed bag of older children and friends at the table, all of whom were welcomed by staff and owner in a friendly relaxed manner. My husband had the crab linguine, which he said was absolutely delicious, which coming from him, is high praise indeed. I had the smoked salmon, followed by lasagne, which had never tasted so good. We both shared a tiramisu - scrumptious! The whole table had clean plates. My only criticism would be the website which I really don't think does the restaurant any justice, the photos look rather drab, whereas in reality the decor is light and airy despite its tucked away location, providing a friendly buzzy atmosphere. I would happily take friends or family here and be sure of superb food, reasonably priced and a great time.

1 Thank Emma G