“Good London Hotel”

Ranked #182 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good London Hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My partner and I were impressed with this hotel. Stayed during the second week of the Olympic Games, having only booked the day before. Quite surprised they had vacancies, but the price was a little on the high side. I requested a quiet room, on an upper floor, and this is exactly what I got. Arrived early morning, to drop off luggage, and they were very obliging. Returned in the evening, to check in. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Room clean and tidy. Bed very comfortable. My only slight gripe was that it was a little stuffy. It was not possible to open a window, and the room temperature could only be set down to 18 degrees - a little on the high side, in my opinion. I switched on the cooling fan, and went to sleep, expecting it to turn of automatically. But I awoke, shivering, around 2am, and had to turn off the fan manually. When I awoke, in the morning, I was again too warm. Paid extra for the comprehensive buffet breakfast, which was extremely good quality, and represented value for money.

Location of the hotel is very good (once you discover it is tucked away on a side street). Just a couple of minutes walk from Angel Underground station, in an area of London which has improved in recent years. Quiet, pleasant, location. Not touristy, but within easy reach of tourist attractions.

I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmpireRadio
Dclaire108, Manager at Premier Inn London Angel Islington Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Empire 6200,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to read you were impressed with the hotel and service, as long as we are able we will do our very best to meet any requests you may have prior and during your stay.

We will always look after your luggage should your room not be ready and even once you check out. We will look after your luggage until the end of the evening so you can head out and enjoy the day baggage free.

Our windows are non-openable for both noise and safety/security reasons. As you mentioned our air-con goes down to 18oC, this is usually more than satisfactory in keeping the room at a cool level, I'm sorry you were not able to have it any colder, I hope didn't disturb your stay too much! We're always grateful for comments and suggestions and we'll take this on board.

I'll be sure to pass your feedback onto each department!

Thanks again,

Food and Beverage Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My friend and I stayed here as we had tickets for the Olympics. Good location as only one stop away from St Pancras on the tube and the hotel is literally 5 minutes walk from Angel tube station.

We arrived before check in time and explained why we were there and what time the event we were going to see was. They went out of their way to get us a room quickly and were so friendly while doing so.

This is a budget hotel so we did not expect too much from the room but it was really pleasant. It's a new hotel so everything is in good condition and it was spotlessly clean. Coffee and tea facilities in the room and a flat screen TV. It's on a back street so you don't get much noise. Just off Islington High street so it's close to lots of pubs and restaurants. It is worth mentioning that you only get 30 minutes free wifi, but then it is a budget hotel so was not really expecting more.

Breakfast is Buffett style with traditional English breakfast as well as cereal, fruit and croissants. Check out was easy and they stored our bags using a ticket system while we went to our event that day.

Full marks for customer service from all the staff, I've stayed at more upmarket hotels in London before that did not compare to this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dclaire108, Manager at Premier Inn London Angel Islington Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear JoandWill,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us over the Olympics.

I am delighted the you felt our team provided you with excellent customer service. We work really hard as a team to make every guest's stay a great one. I will be sure to pass all your feedback onto the team, I know they'll be chuffed to read it.

Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back when you're next in London.

Fife, Scotland
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The hotel is fine, it's exactly what you would expect for Premier Inn; clean, tidy, secure, comfortable rooms with good air conditioning. Good breakfast too.

Location is fine too, The Angel is a busy wee village in the north of London, 15 min walk from Kings Cross St Pancras. All the amenities you need are close-by, as is Angel tube station and bus stops for routes that will take you into Central London.

I can't fault any of that.

What I can fault though is the approach to pricing; I ended up paying £199 per night for a room which would normally cost between £59 - £89. And that wasn't a last minute booking, I booked months in advance. Yep, the London Olympics really is a great big cash-cow isn't it?

I'm not naive enough to think that companies won't try to profiteer when there's a large demand; and yes, the prices were available before I booked the room, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear IBL1970,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at Angel Islington Premier Inn. I am pleased to read you had a great stay and we met your expectations.

I am, however, sorry that you felt our pricing over the Olympics was high. Premier Inn was actually one of the few hotels that capped it's Olympic Pricing and stayed low so that our regular customers were not effected by hiked prices. As always our cheapest available rates are online.

I am glad your overall stay was a good one and I hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here over two nights for the London Olympics and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice of hotel. The staff were friendly and welcoming - a nice touch was presenting cadbury's chocolate medals to our kids on our arrival. The hotel is quite new, spotlessly clean and exceptionally peaceful for London - not a sound to be heard at night, either from outside or inside from other guests - despite being very central to shops and bars (it is at the back of the N1 shopping centre, but along a quiet back street). We booked a family room and there was space for the large double and two single put-up beds for our two children. we all slept well and were very comfortable. The breakfast was also very good. I thought the hotel was very good value considering the price of other standard hotels at this time and I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jackie C_1104,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay over the Olympics!

It's great to read you had a such a wonderful stay and that the family room was just right for you! We are tucked away quite nicely so you have the best of both worlds, with the shops and local transport only 2 minutes away.

Again, I'm pleased you had a lovely stay and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to London. PS - glad the Chocolate medals went down a treat!

Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I also stayed here with my teenage sons during the Olympics and would echo all the previous comments. The service was the best I have received at any hotel, budget or otherwise. The staff could not have been more helpful . There was always somebody to help with anything you needed and to put your needs first in everything they did. The breakfast was great (incredible value if you have under 16's with you !) and the dinners were reasonably priced too. Location is great too- no problem with noise at all but close enough to buses so frequent we never had to wait more than 20 seconds. Make this hotel top of your list when needing to stay in London.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dclaire108, Manager at Premier Inn London Angel Islington Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Zara S,

Thanks for your review, I'm delighted you had a great stay with us.

It's fantastic to read such wonderful reviews. We do pass all our reviews onto our team to keep them informed of what our guest's think of their stays, I know they'll be very happy.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here for two days to go to the Olympics. Premier Inn Islington lived up to our experience and expectations. Excellent accommodation, very quiet, spotlessly clean in every respect, faultless service from staff who could not have done more, great breakfasts and evening meals. Great location in the heart of Islington, very convenient for transport, shops and restaurants. Last but by no means least, great value for money. Lenny Henry is right; everything is premier except the price! Many thanks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 21CTM
Dclaire108, Manager at Premier Inn London Angel Islington Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Hi 21CTM,

Thanks for your recent review of your stay with us. I hope you had a fantastic time at the Olympics and I'm glad we were a part of your great visit!

I'll be sure to pass your feedback onto all departments, I know they'll be as happy as I am!

I love your comment about Lenny Henry, great to hear you feel we're living up to our tagline!

Hopefully we'll be welcoming you again on your next trip to London. Hope you're enjoying the Olympics as much from home as you did at the games themselves!

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our family visited this hotel during the olympics. We could not fault the service. Our children were treated like royalty and all staff were warm and welcome. The room standard was good, with everything we needed. We will definetly use Premier Inn again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hi Ahmudd,

Thanks for leaving us a great review.

We know that sometimes traveling with little ones can be testing so we do our best to keep them happy too! Great to hear we met all your needs and contributed to your visit to London.

Hope you're enjoying the Olympics and we'll see you again on your next stay hopefully!