“Busy pub, good service but large portions”

The Crown and Greyhound
Ranked #16,145 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Affectionately known as the Dog, The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village is a warm and welcoming oasis away from the fast lane of London life. The pub was once two: in the olden days the Crown served the gentry, while the Greyhound housed the labourers. Today there's no such nonsense; the whole community comes together under one roof to enjoy our rather tasty range of pub food, drink and entertainment.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Busy pub, good service but large portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We booked an outside table for Father's Day. Unfortunately the weather was cool and so we asked for a table inside in the restaurant, but they were all booked up meaning we had to sit in the bar area. The menu was varied and we ordered 3 roast dinners, a fish and chip, and a vegetarian option. We had a 6 year old with us who had the child's portion. I am a senior citizen and would have been happy with this sized portion, and perhaps I should have asked for it as my portion was huge; almost half a chicken which was hard to get through. The roasts were soft and not crispy so I left them; my husband's chips were fine. The vegetables were not very exciting, ( a lot of leeks plus peas). For London the prices were okay, but in Birmingham we can get much better value Sunday roasts!

• Visited June 2014

Norwich England
“Good service wholesome grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Our visit to the Crown and Greyhound was on possibly one of the busiest Sundays of the year as it co-insided with fathers day and the annual visit of Carters Steam Fair to nearby Dulwich Park. Our decision to go to the Crown and Greyhound was a last minute one by my daughter which I gladly endorsed as we had enjoyed going there before about 2 years earlier. On arriving we told it could be an hours wait for a table but in fact we only waited about 15 minutes or so. As said before both the restaurant and pub was extremely busy ( and a slightly noisy but there is no music or slot machines to cause a din). Both the bar tender and the waiter who served up were extremely polite and helpful. The Bar and the restaurant are comfortably furnished and the restaurant has a welcoming atmosphere. The Sunday lunch menu is not overly complicated, but the meals are varied enough with a few welcome embelishments these make what may be an ordinary meal, somewhat more special. The service was quick and the meals were well presented and the food was piping hot. The price of both the drinks and meal were not overly expensive considering this is a slightly up-market area of Llondon. - would definitely recommend this place and will be come again - well done to the crew a The Crown and Grey hound.

• Visited June 2014
“Friendly place with great outside space”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Love this pub for a sunday afternoon drink - there are plenty of outside seats in the front of the pub but there is also a big garden out the back with a BBQ in the summer.

Nice relaxed atmosphere and tasty menu,

Visited June 2014
London
“Impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Trawling through the AA Good Pub Guide, this was the next stop on our epic journey. I'd heard mixed reviews of the pub, but went in with an open mind. We ate lunch in the pub which was buzzy and had a nice blend of clientele. I've seen better looking old fashioned pubs, but this still retains some charming features. Anyway, down to the important bit. The beer was good, in fact the Good Jobber was excellent. For lunch, we had the salmon fishcakes and the roasted tomato, asparagus and goats cheese tart. The fishcakes came with a nice lemon crème fraiche and chunky chips. Could've done with something green, but it was pleasant enough. The tart was fantastic. The olive pastry was delicious and the filling full of fresh flavours and topped off with a beautiful pesto. There are many other good eateries in the area, but for me this stands up among them.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank docfun
“Shambolic”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I went with a group of people to their restaurant area for Sunday lunch and was genuinely shocked as to how anywhere could be this badly run. When we first sat down I had to clear the previous guests' dirty cutlery and glasses from our table.

We were not greeted by a member of staff for over ten minutes - I had to ask the staff three times to give us menus, we then had to wait over fifteen minutes for a round of drinks which we subsequently had to send back as the order was totally wrong. Quite how you can mistake a gin and tonic for a cappuccino is beyond me.

We then made the mistake of ordering another round of drinks, this again took almost 20 minutes. The food was adequate but the waiting staff didn't seem bothered in the slightest that people we're waiting. The restaurant was far from packed so I cannot see how it is possible to make such a mess of Sunday lunch service.

Judging by the reaction of many other guests - who seemed equally shocked - I very much doubt we were the only people to be left very, very disappointed.

Visited May 2014