“overpriced and shabby”

The Crown and Greyhound
Ranked #17,120 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Affectionately known as the Dog, The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village is a warm and welcoming oasis away from the fast lane of London life. The pub was once two: in the olden days the Crown served the gentry, while the Greyhound housed the labourers. Today there's no such nonsense; the whole community comes together under one roof to enjoy our rather tasty range of pub food, drink and entertainment. We have just been refurbing the pub and we are delighted to say we will be back open after nearly 3 years of closure with the addition of a hotel
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I must say at the outset that we didn't eat here.

We went along for the Sunday evening quiz when we were staying locally. On enquiry we had been told that it started at 7pm so we arrived early to ensure a seat. It eventually started at about 7.30pm and was taking place across the pub, ie through 4 rooms and the nearest part of the back garden... and the poor question master wasn't even supplied a microphone! He was having to run from room to room asking the questions (and ultimately the answers) to ensure everyone heard him; ridiculous!

The menu told us that the food was expensive, but as I say we didn't eat so cannot comment, the drinks too were expensive - over £16 for a pint of beer a glass of wine and 2 soft drinks. Ok so it's a lovely setting with great outdoor facilities too, but at those prices I would expect the loos to have toilet paper replaced when necessary and they really did need a makeover.

Overall we entered expecting to be impressed and came away very disappointed

1  Thank Nicky-Plymouth
There are newer reviews for The Crown and Greyhound

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have been to this pub three times and every time I have waited over an hour for my food. Today was the last straw! Waited 45 minutes for a burger - was told it was being plated up when I enquired but waited another 20 minutes. I don't appreciate being lied to and won't bother wasting my time again - and neither should you.

1  Thank cgreenwood87
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Spacious pub with a great beer garden in tghe back...excellent in the Summer...great Sunday Lunches and Fish & Chips !

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I couldn't believe all the poor reviews!!! My fiancé and I were staying at a nearby B&B within a 15 minute walk...so of course we were going to try it out! He got there a few days before I did & had a chance to check it out first. Once we met up a few, we pretty much camped out in the bar area for several hours and enjoyed conversation with both the staff & the locals. The barkeeps let us taste some of the beers before we bought a whole pint (try the cask varieties!) and explained some of the more unusual items on the menu. We even went back the next day just for after-dinner drinks & dessert.

Must try's on the menu: vegetarian appetizer sampler (cheese straws, mozzarella fondue, battered cauliflower, & hummus), ox cheek pie with red wine gravy, mash, & kale (eat with the classic hot mustard), the fish & chips (try the horseradish sauce with it!), the bacon cheeseburger, and the salted caramel & chocolate tart.

1  Thank WineBooksWanderlust
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The menu looked promising, but unfortunately when the food eventually arrived the pork belly was soggy and the vegetables raw. The staff did their best and were friendly which was the only real positive. Very over priced for some very average food. Lovely looking pub, such a shame we won't be returning.

2  Thank Eatdrinkmerry9