The County Hotel
$281
$238
Trip.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$175
$163
$238
$243
$166
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsimperial hotelsshared bathrooms and toiletsrussell squarecentral londonfull english breakfasttea and coffeewest endrail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My rating is based on expectations at this price. For £41 single or £53 double in an excellent location in central London, one doesn't expect much! It will just about get you a room in a very shabby B&B. At the County, you are staying in a purpose built hotel albeit one which is nearly 70 years old and which, apart from an occasional lick of paint, seems to have been undisturbed since. The experience is a bit like going through a time warp. The rooms are small clean but not en-suite. However, I never had to wait to get access to a bathroom. The plumbing was old-fashioned but the showers were powerful. The signs around the hotel seemed to be 1930s originals. The bar offers a glimpse London pubs as they used to be. Even the bar prices seemed several years out of date!
Breakfast was traditional and substantial. Porters, receptionists and bar staff were polite and helpful.
OK the place is in urgent need of refurbishment but, if you know of anywhere else in central London in this price-range whose directory of room services still includes (at extra charge) breakfast room service, babysitting and the internal extension of the hotel florist, I'd love to hear about it.
If the Imperial chain ever decided to spend a bit on restoration they could probably re-package the County as a "retro-experience" and double its rates!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ianp747
Reviewed August 14, 2007

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in! And that is comparing it to hostels as well as hotels. To be fair you can’t expect too much for the price of this hotel but I was hoping it would at least be clean and hospitable.

The staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful. When checking in we were basically told that the receptionist had better things to be doing and to hurry up. The shared bathrooms were dirty and it was expected that we use the towels already in the communal areas so had not been supplied with personal ones. Breakfast was awful with stale bread and gone off milk.

I have stayed in other hotels in the Imperial chain before and have never had any problems so I was surprised at how bad the service was here.

If you need a cheap place to stay in London I would advise staying in a hostel over this hotel or finding another similarly priced hotel. It was if they were trying their hardest to make this the most unpleasant experience possible.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank nik82
Reviewed August 14, 2007

This hotel was truly terrible.

When we booked we realised it was a budget hotel and as we are two experienced travellers perfectly used to hostels we were expecting cheap and cheerful but nothing more.

Firstly, when we arrived I said my name the receptionist who proceded to fling a yellow form at me and actually threw a biro! When I was filling in the form as fast as I could (taking roughly 60 seconds in total!) the receptionist was tapping her nails on the table ushering me along and then actually said "I do have other things to do you know". My friend and I couldn't actually believe it.

The porters were inoffensive in general although I certainly wouldn't call them friendly!

The maid woke us up at 8:30 which seemed badly organised as we were only staying for one night and didn't need to checkout before 11, after which you would expect the maid to clean the room.

The bathrooms were grimy and the hot tap became too hot to turn off after a shower scalding my hand! There were no bath towels provided in the room, just a couple of hand towels by the basin. Those provided in the bathroom we obviously didn't want to use as you can't be sure how clean they are being that the bathrooms are shared.

When my friends came into the foyer after walking me back, their first words were "it smells in here".

After all this we weren't expecting much of a breakfast but thought there might be something edible, how wrong we were! The cooked breakfast looked worse than school dinners, the bread rolls were rock hard and stale, and the milk was off. There were more waiting staff than diners so they were fussing around us seemingly with no purpose, my friend described them as "zombies" which I think summed them up well.

Frankly it was a horrid experience and I would never return!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank hannahgray
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I have just returned to Manchester UK after staying for 4 nights at the County Hotel London. My room was spotlessly clean. The breakfast was lovely and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Yes this hotel is budget and that is how people should treat it. For the rates that the hotel charge, one is never going to get the same facilities as a top class hotel. All I want is somewhere to sleep in a nice clean room with nice clean bedding. Which is what I had at the County Hotel. The hotel is situated near Euston Station. There is a bus stop outside the hotel, a tube station at Russell Square which is around a 5 minute walk, about the same time as the walk from Euston Station.

I have stayed at the County hotel once before and was pleased with it, I have already booked for the 10th of December 2007

Kathybell
25/05/2007

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Dandelion1906
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Fair enough, it's a cheap hotel in London, so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much, but this place is horrible! I've stayed in similarly priced places in London with better locations, and none of them have been anything like this.

The staff at reception were rude and looked like they'd rather be anywhere else but there. The whole place just had this incredibly depressing vibe about it. My room was not particularly clean, and just plain ugly. The whole place needs to be renovated, badly. Nothing - furniture, curtains, blankets - seems like it's been updated or replaced (or in some cases even cleaned) for a good 40 years.

The noise from the street was so horrendous it stopped me from sleeping The shared bathrooms were also an issue, being not terribly clean either and hard to access when needed with all the other people using them.

Do yourself a favour, do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank katy19