“The Bodyguard”

Ranked #6 of 369 Concerts & Shows in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Although there have been various earlier entertainment buildings on the site the reconstructed Adelphi Theatre, with its art deco interiors, opened to the public in December 1930 with Jessie Matthews starring in Ever Green.The front-of-house areas of the Adelphi Theatre were restored to their original lustre and extravagance in 1993 when Andrew Lloyd Webber became co-owner and opened his musical production of Sunset Boulevard. Other famous productions at the Adelphi Theatre include Gertrude Lawrence in Cole Porter’s Nymph Errant, Ivor Novello’s The Dancing Years, Bless The Bride, Beatrice Lillie as Auntie Mame, Van Johnson in The Music Man, Lionel Bart’s Blitz! and Maggie May, Charlie Girl with Anna Neagle, a revival of Me and My Girl originally starring Robert Lindsay and Emma Thompson and in the Adelphi Theatre’s longest run (over nine years), the new Broadway production of Kander and Ebb’s Chicago. Revivals of Evita and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat have proved enormously popular. More recently, the theatre played host to the worldwide premiere of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical Love Never Dies.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Excellent show, the singers are brilliant. The male dancers a lady's treat. The story has been changed slightly but this does not retract from the show at all. Great night outy.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We saw The Bodyguard on the 16 March 2013 at 19:30. Unfortunately, Heather was not performing and her understudy Gloria Onitiri was the lead. This was disappointing as I had specifically booked the date and time of our visit to coincide with when Heather was due to perform; only to receive an email during the week to say that she was now on holiday! Whilst Gloria performed well I really wanted to hear and see Heather in the role

As the title of this report states, it was a Good Show, not brilliant, but not bad. For me, I love vocalists, strong vocalists and was seeking those goose bump moments on the key stand out songs. I felt that Gloria was unable to deliver this consistently as her voice was sometimes drowned out by the music. This was also true of the singer who played the sister Nicki; whom ironically, had the better singing voice of the two.

This being said, the production was smooth and slick and surprisingly had a few funny moments as well. The young lad that played Fletcher was very talented and will go far in the entertainment world as he delivered his lines perfectly, sang and danced brilliantly.

The ending is fun and different and got everyone up dancing and clapping.

An enjoyable show and we would recommend that you go and see it.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went to the Saturday afternoon showing March 16. Was told on Wednesday that it would not be Heather Hadley singing but really didn't mind as often the other artists are just as good but, sadly, on this occasion, this was not the case. Gloria just could not do the top notes justice and my daughter and I felt that there were a lot of other artists out there who could do a much better job. Go and see another show if its not Heather Hadley!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to see the bodyguard last nite (march 2013) and insted of heather her understudy Gloria was on. That didn't matter at all as Gloria was absolutley breath taking! Her voice is incredible and her performance got better as the show went on. I definatly recommend this show apart from the lion king I havnt seen anything better! 'I have nothing' and 'I will always love u' had me in tears. Was great too is the use of other Whitney classics

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went to the Saturday afternoon showing March 16th! We were sat 6 rows back from the stage, so had a great view!Heather Hadley was not performing but I wasn't going just to see her, wanted to see the show anyway! Wow what can I say, went with my mum and we both thought the show was amazing! Gloria onitiri played the part of Rachel Marron excellently! Maliki Paul who played the part of her son, also excellent. The whole cast were superb, I have great admiration for anyone who can perform live on stage! No-one will ever be able to perform Whitney Houston songs like Whitney could, so to try and compare these performances to hers is unfair. The end of the show was a surprise, when the cast did "I wanna dance with somebody" and the audience were out of their seats clapping, singing and dancing! Loved it, go and see it before it ends!!!!!!! I hope it comes to our local theatre, so I can see it again!