“Quality place ”

Ranked #1,291 of 24,992 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Islington
Description: The Quality Chop House has a long history as a provider of hospitality. Once a working men’s ‘eating house’ it offered nourishment and respite for the weary. It is in this spirit that we’d like to welcome you back through our doors. We are now offering three different dining experiences in surroundings reflecting the beauty and history of The Quality Chop House. The first is our Dining Room, For lunch the menu is simple, small and set. For dinner, we want to feed you. Give us your coat, pull up a pew (quite literally) and we’ll take care of the rest. We’ll be offering a 5 course set menu, a progressive feast of our favourite things. You can pick the bottle (but we’ll have some magnums open to pour you a glass while deciding). Our Wine bar & Shop is open all day for on- and off-premises enjoyment. Our wines are fine but our prices are fair. A hand-picked selection from some serious cellars without the serious price tag. And we’ll have charcuterie, cheese and smaller plates on hand too. For tastings, feastings and meetings we offer our Upstairs - A private room for up to 10 people.
Reviewed June 1, 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed my meal at The Quality Chop House. Got a chef special lamb that was very good. Wine was good, service even better. I'd say go here if you want a pretty fancy dining experience for a fair price.

Date of visit: June 2017
Write a reviewReviews (468)

Reviewed May 26, 2017

I visited the restaurant after an absence of some twenty years and was pleased to find that my memory did not disappoint me . The portions were if an appetising size and the food cooked to perfection and presented elegantly .The service was friendly but not over attentive,

Reviewed May 26, 2017

Took some local colleagues here for lunch having heard good things about the place.
It certainly has original 1869 quaint features but unfortunately provides 19th century comfort at 21st century prices . If you're tall ( I would suggest anything near 6 foot and above, then the narrow booths are distinctly uncomfortable , like a budget airline.) . I could be more tolerant of that that for a one off visit if the meal had been amazing but sadly we found the food un special and very modest portions and expensive with a 12.5% service added for equally average service, therefore disappointing on the value front. I'll give this one the chop from my favourites list.

1  Thank Sweetcure
Reviewed May 25, 2017

This place absolutely blew my mind. Such a nice relaxing atmosphere and the food for me was absolutely incredible, I went with my parents in law who really enjoyed the whole experience and said it was one of the best meals they'd had for a long time.
I had the roast beef for main which is the best tasting beef iv'e had in a long time, Its not like the beef you buy in the supermarkets which is why i imagine its not to other reviewers tastes but its incredible. One of the other diners had the monkish which was cooked to perfection.

All in all the service and knowledge was spot on, the only thing i would say is the seating is a little cramp but that could just be my sportsman's thighs :-)

Reviewed May 21, 2017

We went for Sunday lunch last year and enjoyed an average meal with an above average price.

After reading some reviews we headed back for a Sunday lunch.

We both ordered the Hereford Roast Beef. Maybe because we arrived towards the end of service and maybe because they simply could not do better we were both presented with perfectly pink but inedible beef. The fat was not cooked at all - so it was almost raw and the beef was almost impossible to chew or swallow as it had sinue and uncooked fat riddling the meat.

We asked for the Manager and this hipster looking fella arrived to tell us this is how good beef is supposed to be cooked and we clearly did not understand this. I looked the twerp in the eye and told him his food was inedible and considered for a moment to cause a deafening scene.

My partner and I downed our knives and forks and demanded the bill. We were charged to 2 drinks, paid and left.

While this restaurant clearly has its fans I was appalled by the quality of the food and the attitude of the staff.

I have told a Food Journalist friend and he said he would visit the restaurant and see how bad it is.

Date of visit: November 2016