“A convenient hotel with cozy rooms and extremely comfortable beds”
Review of The Z Hotel Soho

The Z Hotel Soho
Ranked #368 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at Z Hotel Soho when I was in London for the London Author Fair. I knew from the website that the rooms would be very small, so I knew what to expect. This didn't bother me. I wasn't planning on spending much time in my room since I was there for a conference and to meet friends.

When I booked my room, I asked for a quiet room and, instead of a room facing the street, I was given a room facing the courtyard--this made all the difference. I wasn't disturbed at night by traffic sounds and, even with other guests coming and going, I didn't feel disturbed at all--I am sure this is because it was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.

My room was very clean and cozy and had everything I needed. Though the breakfast room is quite small, the fare on offer made up for the lack of space. Plus, it was still a very cozy place to sit in the morning and read while having breakfast. The staff were very friendly and made me feel very welcome. If I'm ever traveling to London on my own again and know I want to stay in Soho, I'll be staying at the Z Hotel again.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,739)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

The best thing going for this place is its location. Centrally located at the West End of Soho, it is very close to everything. Downstairs are a couple of theatres (currently playing The Commitments and Miss Saigon) across the road is Chinatown, a short stroll to the right is Oxford Street and to the left is Charing Cross Road. This is the fun end of London at your doorsteps. So, this is where you get the bang for your bucks. We booked online and the price we paid would not get us into any hotel in the vicinity. The things we like about this place are: very clean room, great in-room bathroom and toilet facilities, very comfortable beds, great TV reception, did I say very clean?, very friendly and helpful staff, you also get free wine and cheese from 5pm to 8pm, We knew about the tiny size of the room and made a decision, when booking, that we would rather pay for the location and sacrifice on the room size. The reality is that it takes a bit of getting used to living in a very tight space. The bed was pushed against the wall so the person taking that side of the bed had to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom. You have to open each bag on the bed. We had fun when we learned to look at the light side of the situation. The free floor space in our room is no more than 30 square feet. Excess luggage can be stored in the luggage room by the concierge, which we did. Once we worked out a tidy system, we quite enjoyed the room. Although other reviewers complained about the noise we had no such problem. I think this might have been because we were not facing the street - so in our case not having any windows was a plus. I agree this is not for everyone, but the convenience of the location at an affordable outweighed the inconvenience of the small room. Would we stay here again? Yes, we would.

Room Tip: Pick carefully the things you need and store this in your carry-on bag which you can keep in the roo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anak_Johor
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed in this hotel on 3/4/14 for 1 night. It looked great from tbe photo's. Look nice when we checked in. Room was small but again seemed ok. So we dumped our bags and headed into london for dinner and a show. We returned around 11pm to head to bed. Then it hit us....all we could hear was the incredibly noisy streets and sirens. Now I know im in London so can live with sirens but double glazing would help. However, we could hear the booming music from downstairs and every where outside. Everyone's conversation. Then to the bed. Now some people like rock hard beds. I'm happy with a semi firm bed but this was like sleeping on the floor. When I went down stairs to see what could be done all I got was.... all our beds are bespoke and top quality. I responded with that's your opinion and I dont like them. Woth the noise I got...this is London....and..have some ear plugs. Now I've stayed in London many times and have never experienced noise like it. He then said to me. All our queen rooms face outside you should have asked for an inside facing room. Well buddy... I don't know the layout of your hotel nor that the queen rooms face the road. Now what annoyed was we paid £194 for this room with breakfast. Not a cheap room is it my friend I reminded him. Also people. Don't take the breakfast. Go to Ed's dinner 20 metres away. Alot better. When I asked if they can do anything his response was we are fully booked and you need to speak to the general manager. I'm still waiting her reply. Please look at a different hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rob T
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The location cannot be topped. Extremely friendly staff greet you with a warm welcome. The rooms are functional but funky. You couldn't swing a cat in there yet it was clean, modernly designed and missing features such as a telephone and safe which most can live with these days. Missed the complimentary wine and cheese offering but had good fun in the bar towards the end of the evening with Ricardo and Eduardo who like all the staff in the hotel are proud and happy. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2014

On night one I was awoken at 2.15am by a sound as if I was laying on top of a speaker. As I woke I realised the person in the room next door had switched on his TV. The construction of the rooms is such at TVs are embedded in the walls and the pillow end of the bed is directly against the next rooms TV. I found myself listen to the BBC news as if I was watching it on the TV in my room, it was that clear.

There are no phones in the room so i had to go downstairs at 2.15am to complain. Night sfaff were courteous and gave me ear plugs.

The next day I sent an email complaint to the Hotel Manager Dominka, but received no reply and and and and and.

The hotel is well positioned, the staff are very friendly and the rooms while tiny are new and clean.

If sleep is important to you, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PMCAUD
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Z Hotel on Sunday and it's in a perfect location so central and funky little hotel with extra little perks of having free wine and cheese for a few hours.

Probably not the hotel you want to stay at if you.re just in a new relationship as no doors on the wet room so you really do get to know each other better lol!

Great shower and loved the cozy cabin bed....highly recommended

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Took a taxi from Kings Cross and was dropped off sort of near the door. After a few minutes was able to find it. Entrance is on a street that doesn't allow automobile traffic. Sign was a bit smallish, but I did find it. Truthfully, was a bit tired from the train ride from Edinburgh. Hosts were gracious, the walk to the room was pretty cool, the open air hallway was nice. Got to my room, was small, but well decorated. The location was fantastic. So much to do and see in every direction. I loved everything except the size of the room. I thought it would be bigger, but other than that, was pleased..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo