“Bijou and brilliant”
Review of The Z Hotel Soho

The Z Hotel Soho
Ranked #366 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel offers compact rooms with no room to swing a cat and they are brilliant. if you are used to 30sqm rooms then you'll be disappointed but these rooms are so well designed and functional it's worth sacrificing some space for the excellent central location. Very helpful staff, brilliant service and the cleanest of rooms. Can't fault it.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a window
There are newer reviews for The Z Hotel Soho

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We researched previous reviews and therefore knew exactly what to expect. The staff were efficient, the room clean and the location perfect for a theatre visit. The rooms may be small but its all about location.

Room Tip: Take a room with a window
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I mainly chose this hotel because I was attending a gig at The Borderline just round the corner and I wanted something quite close as I'd never been to London before. The girl on reception was very helpful and explained that my single room wasn't ready and that she would upgrade me free of charge to a double room.

My room was on the first floor room 122, when I entered my room I couldn't believe how small it was, the ceiling was quite low and first impressions are that you have an interior room on a cruise ship! There was also no window in the room which I found weird, only window was in the toilet area. The bed was on the left when the door opened, a table beside the bed with tea/coffee making facilities, then the toilet, sink and shower to the right in a separate closed off area. Once you get used to the size the room is perfectly fine, as I was travelling alone it was perfect for me. There is a 40" HD tv with Sky Sports, Sky Movies included at the bottom of the bed, as for the bed wow, I haven't had such a good nights sleep in a long time the bed was really comfy and the pillows you would just melt into them. If I was in this part of London again I would definitely stay her again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

omg booked this for surprise for my gf for her 40th b.day ...room cost £360 for 3 nights noticed a few days before we went to upgrade to a room with window was only another £48 so thought id grab a bargain...where do i start firstly the air vent decided itself what it wanted to blow out hot or freezing and as it blowed out the air out came the dust with it (as an asthma sufferer this made me quite ill) the curtains didnt shut properly ...as for all rooms sound proof omg the noise was not from outside as you would expect being so central it was inside!!...i also had to find a doctor as after taking a shower only on stepping out did i notice blood pouring from my foot after getting sorted i found out it was the metal strip on the door slide a bit had cracked when i tried to pick it up i couldnt but i did find out what the smell was (we had a funny smell in room all time) b.room floor had obviously not been washed it stunk of urine!! my gf was very unwell the whole time we were there but we made the effort to sit for a cuppa just to give cleaners time to go in......bed linen not changed at all floor wasnt cleaned and the dust above the curtains was unreal. on booking out i made a complaint only to find not only had the room/stay been awful but i had been ripped off they didint charge the extra £48 as agreed and as online no they took £108 so for that so called queen and no its not much bigger than the other rooms and its dirty i would say STAY AWAY STAFF CANT TAKE CRITISISM AT ALL...I MADE THEM COME UP TO THE ROOM TO SEE I WASNT MAKING ANY OF IT UP AND ALL I GOT WAS "WE DONT DO REFUNDS" NOT EVEN A SORRY.i have been to this and the victoria one and have to say will never come bk here go to the victoria one it wipes the floor with this place in everyway....this was such a bad experience i will be taking it further ................WATCH YR BANK ACCOUNT!!!

Room Tip: beds are solid so if u dont like sleeping on wood (and it is i checked)take something soft to sleep...
3  Thank minxykat
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights here in February 2013. From other reviews, we were expecting our "z queen" room to be small--the reviews weren't kidding! The rooms are seriously tiny, but they're also clean, tidy and have all the basics one hopes for: nice shower, plasma tv, free wifi, comfy bed. We upgraded to a room with a window (highly recommend doing this, btw), so there was some street noise during the nights, but nothing ear plugs couldn't drown out. Also, the location can't be beat--it's within walking distance to several major sights. The complimentary evening wine and cheese was the cherry on top of our wonderful stay. If you're not after anything too fancy, this hotel is sure to please.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a window--it helps the tiny rooms feel not so small, and the breeze is a delight.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First off: Believe the reviews. These are the smallest rooms I have ever been in. They brag about how their (admittedly, comfortable) beds are custom made: They have to be! dtandard queens wouldn't fit! Really its hard to give a real sense of exactly how small the rooms are. But they're still actually quite nice. You just need to be efficient with your space!

With that out of the way, I'd still come back to this hotel. The staff is excellent. They have free wine and cheese from 5 - 9 pm, breakfast is good. When I accidentally overslept and was late to get to Heathrow, the staff quickly called me a cab and advised me of the easiest/fastest way to get to the airport (I made - with 15 mins to spare. Bed to plane in 1 hour - must be a record).

And the location simply cannot be beat. You're walking distance from a lot of the touristy things one might want to do, walking distance to most of the west end theaters, to the national opera, to (gay and straight) bars and a couple of excellent restaurants. Walking distance to the best (i.e. highest-end shopping) in London. Close to 2 tube stations which provide access to different lines.

Bottom line: Teeny tiny rooms, great staff, good perks, GREAT location, price is excellent for the location. Certainly a go-to hotel for me from now on.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Greg O
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The rooms are really (really really) small, there are not even places for you to put your dresses in, but I was able to fit in there with my two big suitcases, wearing things from my suitcase. The people are quite good, interested! In the afternoon there is free wine (French and Italian) cheese and some other food, which was very delicious. Anyway if you are among people who would only use the hotel for sleep and spend rest wandering around, this hotel is just for you:-)

• Stayed: February 2013