“Bad food, rude Manager and hugely overpriced”

The Canonbury Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #11,068 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, England, United Kingdom
“Bad food, rude Manager and hugely overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Ate here during a weekday evening with friends as had been recommended. Off to bad a start as they had run out of a number of dishes. When the food turned up the portion size of the tortellini for a main course was a joke (5 pieces), the crusty bread at £3 per portion was a soggy baguette from the supermarket and the burger baps also looked & tasted like they were from the supermarket.

Raised our complaint to the Manager and the response was "That is how they come. If you don't want them I will just put them in the bin."

I should say the bar staff were v friendly and helpful - issue is with the management and the poor food given the price. Fine a drink in the garden but certainly won't be eating there again.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank mattg81

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect for a large group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I ate here last sunday (Mothering Sunday) with 13 other members of my family ranging in age from 5 to 65. We were amongst the first diners of the day and our experience was excellent. Most of us chose the beef sunday roast and it definitley exceeded expectations. The beef was a good quality rib roast, sliced quite thickly. The veg was good; roast potatoes, a couple of parsnips, carrot and some brocolli and also a little leek in cream sauce. Gravy quite thin but tastey. Others had the burger which was excellent too. We opted for a bottle of prosecco first which was good quality, and the wine that followed was good and well priced. It certainly filled up during our time there which really gave the place a great atmosphere, if a bit noisy. Our waiter couldn't have been more helpful and I felt the service was pitched perfectly. I can imagine it is a very stressful place to work as a waiter on a busy day like last sunday, When we left, queues were stacking up of diners waiting to take their seats for the second sitting, My advice would therefore be to eat there early!

• Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Get a new chef”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Ok - so it looks attractive and there are lots of staff. Sunday lunchtime, not great weather so the very big garden fairly empty and restaurant got busier after 1.30pm. But still we had 3 or 4 different waiters in the time there - only one of whom might have had any interest in whether the food was ok or not, ie an impersonal service. Starters seemed ok (though tasteless, they looked good). Good enough ingredients in the main course spoilt by tasteless, cool gravy slopping all around the food and plates - yuk! I'm not a great cook but I couldn't make a mess like that. One pudding tried as we dragged it out. And so, so over-priced for a Sunday lunch. Still, its location and fit-out will attract many people. Shame we live locally and had such a poor first experience. With lots of choice round here, I'd drop in only to have a drink. Oh, and no-one asked if the food was ok and I may be wrong but I felt it was me it mattered to most.

• Visited May 2011